Search for content in message boards

John & Julian (Scott) Turnbull of Berwick, NBL married 1798

John & Julian (Scott) Turnbull of Berwick, NBL married 1798

Posted: 11 Jan 2005 11:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 May 2006 8:28PM GMT
Surnames: Turnbull
Anyone descended from this line or has details of parents of the above, please contact me.

Re: John & Julian (Scott) Turnbull of Berwick, NBL married 1798

Posted: 25 Jun 2007 3:17AM GMT
Surnames: Turnbull
I think this might be my husband's 4G-Grandparents. I have VERY little info, just the Freedmen of Berwick-Upon-Tweed info. Which basically gives father's name. Also several years ago I received some research from Berwick-Upon-Tweeds' Bourough Archivist (Linda Bankier) which gave parents of David Turnbull as John Turnbull (b about 1775) and Julian (which I thought should have been Julia - but maybe I was wrong there).

Any information anyone can shed on this line would be appreciated. I am getting frustrated with the number of Turnbulls there are !! :-) and the flexible SCOT/ENG border.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Robyn
San Diego, California

Posted: 25 Jun 2007 1:18PM GMT
Hi
If you email me at josephnoble@tiscali.co.uk we can communicate a little more easily.
Also if you let me have brief details of your descent I can add it to my records and will then extract what I have on this Turnbull family and send a report back to you.
Best wishes
Jean

Posted: 4 Sep 2011 11:43PM GMT
Edited: 8 Nov 2012 2:52PM GMT
Surnames: Turnbull, Scott, Ross
Hi -I saw your post of 2007 & wondered if you had unravelled the Turnbull/Scott family. I believe they are the parents of my 3X gt Grandfather, John Turnbull b. 6 Nov 1805 in Berwick upon Tweed. Julian{Julia?]Scot's parents are David Scot & Jane Ross according to Family Search.Can you give me the full list of John's siblings-if any,please?

Posted: 5 Sep 2011 8:09AM GMT
Edited: 8 Nov 2012 2:54PM GMT
Surnames: TURNBULL, SKEEN, ORAM
Hi
I haven't worked on this family for some time now.
John's siblings
George 19 Nov 1798
David 23 May 1801
Mary 11 Sep 1803
James 22 June 1808
Thomas 30 Mar 1812

From John b. 6 Nov 1805) - he married Elizabeth Skeen (no marriage so far but circa 1824)
Their children
John b 1 May 1825
Andrew Farmer 29 Ap 1826
Margaret 18 Feb 1828
Margaret 1 Feb 1830
Robert b. 1836

From John (of 1825)a compositor who married Eliza Ralph Gale on 10 Feb 1849 at St Mary's, Lambeth,Surrey
9 children icluding
Colin Campbell Turnbull born in 1854/5 possibly John Turnbull Jun qtr 1854 St George in the East
and married Mary Ann Oram at Wandsworth in 1882
Colin Campbell Turnbull born 1897 at Battersea.
Is this any help?
Can you tell me your connection?
Best wishes
Jean

Posted: 8 Sep 2011 1:37PM GMT
Hi Jean
Thanks for prompt reply.
I think I must have the wrong family as my John married 1841=Margaret Swift,b.1821. & had a son Michael 1846 & daughter Margaret.1848. John was a Freeman of Berwick apparently & his son Michael [Master Mariner]had 11 children,the eldest daughter Jane Ann was my grandmother.
Glad I saw yours as I would have been away on the wrong branch!!
I will keep searching,thanks.
Best Wishes,Laureen

Posted: 7 Oct 2011 10:01PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 8 Nov 2012 2:52PM GMT
Surnames: Turnbull, Skeen, Farmer
Hi Robyn,
My grt grt grt grandfather was David Turnbull married to Elizabeth Skeen 1824 .David was a printer and often sailed to and fro from Berwick to London his son Andrew Farmer Tunbull the line I come from was born off Sheerness (London) on a Berwick smack this was a sailing boat .I contacted Joan some time ago about our family tree . I have the same as you regarding John and Julian Turnbull .I got this from a Mike Bramley who is also a relative . have you any more info on this .regards
Elizabeth

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 10:32PM GMT
Edited: 8 Nov 2012 2:54PM GMT
Surnames: Turnbull, Skeen
Hi Jean,
I remember once getting in touch with you about Andrew Farmer Turnbull my grt grt grandfather .I was googling about looking for his son Robert born 1836 ,I saw you had entered this and seem to differ from you .Andrews father was David Turnbull and married Elizabeth Skeen in 1824 .
I have an e-mail address of yours but not sure if you have changed it .I found the marriage of David and Elizabeth in Ancestry .I also have been to Berwick and found Davids parents grave and have a photo of the headstone if this is any help to you
Regards
Betty G

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 10:39PM GMT
Edited: 8 Nov 2012 2:51PM GMT
Surnames: Turnbull, Skeen
Hi Robyn

David Turnbull was my 3rd grt grandfather who married Elizabeth Skeen can help you quite a lot if you want any help on this family
Elizabeth G
Northumberland England

Posted: 6 Nov 2012 10:35AM GMT
Yes, I am sure we have been in contact before. Sorry for the delay in replying - everything has been topsy turvey of late for us since our daughter began divorcing her husband. You can imagine - especially since we live on opposite sides of the country.
My email address at present is josephnoble@tiscali.co.uk. Please do email me.
We also visited Berwick a couple of years ago and found the street where Elizabeth (Skeen) Turnbull was living - 1861/71/81 and 91 - Eastern Lane. Some parts of it have been redvelopes, and one house they lived in has been demoliched to provide access through to another street.
Unfortunately such explorative journeys are in the past for us now because we are both 80 and find travelling, not to mention, walking very tiring. However that does not mean my interest in family history has waned in the least.
When we were in touch before my first husband, Colin John Turnbull, was still alive and living in South Africa and being aware of his age (he was 7 years older) and health I was anxious to gather as much information as possible for him. He died in Cape Town in 2005 however I have continued returning to his line in the interests of our two children (one in SA and the other in NZ) who are both still working and do not have the time for research.
Please do continue to keep me up to date with the Turnbulls but only if you feel inclined. Many thanks for all the information you have shared, best wishes
Jean
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions