Search for content in message boards

LUCOVICH - Antonio Conte de Lucovich (Count and Knight)

LUCOVICH - Antonio Conte de Lucovich (Count and Knight)

Posted: 25 Feb 2002 5:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Feb 2010 5:44PM GMT
Surnames: LUCOVICH, DE LUCOVICH
Can anyone please help me trace any information on Antonio Conte de LUCOVICH born about 1832 in Eattar, Austria (according to 1881 census for Glamorgan, Wales) He married Isabella Maude DAWKIN in Cardiff in 1876. He lived at The Rise, Llandaff, Glamorganshire in 1881 and had at least 4 children. He was an exporter of coal and metal. The family in later years had a chateau somewhere in Yugoslavia.

Does anyone know anything of his family tree or who his parents, borthers, sisters were?

Thankyou

Re: LUCOVICH - Antonio Conte de Lucovich (Count and Knight)

Posted: 26 Feb 2002 5:15AM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2003 4:45AM GMT
You could try http://www.arcanum.hu/gesta/ for the Hungarian lines of Lukovich and Lukovics.

Enter these names and see what you get. I don't see an immediate relation to the few data you provided, though.

Posted: 26 Feb 2002 10:42AM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2002 5:11PM GMT
Hello Judy,

In Croatian and Dalmatian Coats of Arms, by Adam Eterovich, there are several variants fo arms for LUCOVICH/LUKOVICH. This name is most likely of Croatian/Dalmatian Coats of Arms, thus they "had a chateau somewhere in Yugoslavia." However "Yugoslavia" was not declared until 1929. You can find Eterovich's lnks on my link list.

The surname LUCOVICH/LUCOVIC is found almost exclusively in the Istria Peninsula area of Croatia. However there is an old Croatian family surname LUKOVIC (sounds like lookoveech). Antun Lukovic, descendant of an old Croatian family from Boka Kotorska (now this area is mostly in Montenegro), was the chief engineer in the project of building the Suez Canal (1859-1869).

The surnames LUCOVIC and LUKOVIC may be from the same origin. During Venetian/Italian rule many Croatian names and words in the Dalmatian region were changed to suit the Italian langauge. This may be the case in the first letter C in the surname. In Italian that C may have the sound of hard K. However in Croatian this is never the case plain C has the sound of ts as in cats, thus when the area reverted back to Croatian rule some, but not all, surnames went to using K again. Again this MAY be the case.

Here is a timeline for Croatia which may give you some idea of change of rule in Croatia.

Just a bit of historical info to help you. Croatia has existed under several ruling powers over the centuries. Hope this will help:

1) 7th century AD, Croatians arrive in area of present day Croatia and Bosnia

2) 925 AD Small Croatian states unified under King Tomislav

3) 1102 AD Last Croatian King dies, Croatian nobility votes to form personal union with Hungary, where Croaita is an autonomous unit

4) 1527 AD Croatia becomes part of Hapsburg Empire

5) 1857 AD Croatia becomes part of Austro-Hungarian Empire

6) 1918 AD Croatia becomes part of state created by Allied vicotors at the end of WW I when A-H Empire is defeated. New state is called Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes and King of Serbia becomes king of new state

7) 1929 AD popular Croatian leader, Stipe Radic, is assassinated by Serbian parliamentarian. King declares royal dicatorship, which many compare to Mussolini and Hitler

8) 1991 AD Croatia voters vote to secede from communist Yugoslavia and becomes independent Repbulic

http://www.croatia-in-english.com/rj/index.html

Robert Jerin
Croatian Heritage Museum
Cleveland, Ohio

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 1:52PM GMT
Surnames: De Lucovich
Hi Judy

I am currently trying to trace my husbands family - his grandfather was either silvio or steno de lucovich from Venice (and Alexandria) who attended Ampleforth circa 1867, and married Annie Matilda Mawdsley. They then returned to Egypt where my husbands mother was born in 1907. The family dropped the Lucovich name around the time of the first world war and went under the name of Maudseley(not Mawdsley.) I had been told by my husbands uncle (when he was alive) that silvio/steno & oscars father had been cheif engineer on the Suez Canal and was knighted as a result - I am awaiting verification that he was actually Antun de Lucovik- , he was definitely involved in the manufacture & export of steel in Italy for a time & I have been told he fell out with the Roman Catholic church in Italy & came to Britain late 1800's a broken man. Let me know if you are still researching this family.

Posted: 27 Feb 2010 4:33PM GMT
Name: Antonio T Lucovich
Estimated birth year: abt 1832
Relation: Head
Where born: Cattaro, Austria
Civil Parish or Township: Cardiff St John
Town: Cardiff
County/Island: Glamorgan

Cattaro, Austria was once part of Croatian Dalmatia and is now a part of Montengro and is called Kotor (Boka Kotorska)

http://atlas.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&am...

LUCOVICH (nowadays spelled LUKOVIC) is a Croatian name.

The story is certainly titilating but most like de Lucovich moved to UK simply because of industrialization and the opportunities for employement, as did most people from Austria-Hungary. A-H had not yet industrialized

Here is what I had written back in 2002 for someone researching the same subject

"In Croatian and Dalmatian Coats of Arms, by Adam Eterovich, there are several variants fo arms for LUCOVICH/LUKOVICH.

The surname LUCOVICH/LUCOVIC is found almost exclusively in the Istria Peninsula area of Croatia. However there is an old Croatian family surname LUKOVIC (sounds like lookoveech). Antun Lukovic, descendant of an old Croatian family from Boka Kotorska (now this area is mostly in Montenegro), was the chief engineer in the project of building the Suez Canal (1859-1869).

The surnames LUCOVIC and LUKOVIC may be from the same origin. During Venetian/Italian rule many Croatian names and words in the Dalmatian region were changed to suit the Italian langauge. This may be the case in the first letter C in the surname. In Italian that C may have the sound of hard K. However in Croatian this is never the case plain C has the sound of ts as in cats, thus when the area reverted back to Croatian rule some, but not all, surnames went to using K again. Again this MAY be the case."

You will find a man named Antun LUKOVIC who is credited as being the chief engineer on the Suez canal at the links below

http://www.search.com/reference/Boka_Kotorska

http://www.croatia.org/crown/articles/6367/1/E-Boka-Kotorska...

http://www.croatianhistory.net/etf/et111.html#luko

And in re to Italy, this is not the case! Kotor was only under Italian rule when the Italian Fascists occupied this are in the 1940s. But for nearly 4 centuries it was ruled by Venice... long before there was a country called Italy. When people make records they will often give the name of the country or ruling power at the time the records are created vs when the subject actually resided at that place. In any case Kotor at that time had large Roman Catholic Croatian population

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotor

Attached is how Kotor appeared in October 2007, when I took group on a Heritage Tour of Croatia and Montenegro.

Robert Jerin
Croatian Heritage Museum
Cleveland Ohio
Attachments:

Posted: 23 Jul 2010 3:37PM GMT
Hi

I am an accountant and some 25 to 30 years ago we used to prepare accounts for a Count "Tony" de Lucovic, who was a genuine count who had a farm in Llanederyn in Cardiff. His full name included Antonio. Back in the early 80's he was in his late 70's and I do not see his name in the telephone book any more. Following up on him through Cardiff links might help you
All the best

Posted: 1 Sep 2010 4:55PM GMT
Dear all,

Im realy glad to find your correspondance. I'm down from the same line of Anton Lucovic family from Venise an Egypte. I've allways at home the arms of this family, noblished by Franz Joseph I. for his participation as architect and ingeneer in Egypt. One of his daughter (as far as I know there are two dauter'sx and one son), married my grand-grand father, Baron Eduard v. Tomaschek in the second half of the 19th century. She died young, having 5 childrens, only 2 reached Age of 20.
So the last direct members lived in Kotor (Macedonia) these we used to viste them often till the war. Mario Lucuvics died in 1993, two yars after his sister Ena. No children's. All the enormous family stuff (letters from Napoleon's hand, renaissance paintings, arm collection and so on)deasappeared in the disorder of the end of Yougoslavia. I couldn't return since this time, but I planify to go with my son next holydays.
Please write me if You wont directly to exchange our informations. If a lot of photos and documents from Egypte, Venise Palace, Kotor and Budapest. MMy mail is : udo.staf@gmail.com Ispeak ether frensh, german or English..

Posted: 21 Jan 2011 10:27AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jan 2011 12:49PM GMT
Surnames: Lucovich, de Lucovich, Maudesley
My father was a Lucovich, I have visited Kotor several times, I have met Mirco and Milena there and Don Miko Lucovich the bishop of Kotor. When I was 5, I lived with the Maudesley family for a year when my parents were in Africa but have since lost touch. I also know the descendants of Oscar's branch of the family in Cardiff extremely well. I have photographs of Steno and Silvio.

I very much hope this may be of interest to members of our family.

Posted: 30 Jan 2011 8:20PM GMT
Surnames: Lucovich, de Lucovich, von Tomaschek
Great to read You.
I've been to Kotor last time befor war and I don't know what happed with the house and all the collections that Mirco (for me in italian it's Mario) owned. I'll go there this year probably and I'll try to find someone how can tellme something about.
In anyway. If a photo of the Lucovich familytree, which hang in the first small room upstears that I can send you and some of the photos of Alexandria and of Venice. Than I do have the official nobleman documents of Antonio de Lucovich signed by the Emperor Franz Joseph II. Beautiful ! So may be we can put this things together in an LUCOVICH FAMILY TREE PAGE so all concerned people may find information and add their stuff ?
If you a ready to help me, let me know.

Greatings from Lyon (France)

Sincerly,
Udo STAF

Posted: 10 Feb 2011 2:57PM GMT
Surnames: Black, Scwarz, Schwartz, Lucovic, de Lucovich
My mother (now 88) put together an extensive family tree that includes Antonio de Lucovich and back earlier to 1330. I will try to dig it up. Currently, I am using Geni.com to record family tree. Our tree is quite large.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions