Search for content in message boards

Tell me about Oak Bar?

Tell me about Oak Bar?

Posted: 26 Aug 2001 12:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Jun 2003 7:26PM GMT
Surnames: Williams, Clyman
Hi,
I'm looking for any information about Oak Bar. My great grandmother was Elizabeth Williams who, after her husband John T. Williams died in 1872 in Scott Bar, married L. Clyman. I find that a "Lancaster Clyman" lived in Oak Bar. I'm looking for information on him that might lead me to her grave (and John T.'s grave.)

Does Oak Bar still exist? Does it have a cemetery?

cheers,
skip

Re: Tell me about Oak Bar?

Posted: 27 Aug 2001 5:31PM GMT
Edited: 2 May 2004 7:15PM GMT
Skip:

The Siskiyou Pioneer Vol. 2 No. 10 has a little bit on Oak Bar. page 58 shows photo of Town of Oak Bar saying "as it appeared prior to the flood of 1890." It seems like I've read somewhere that the town doesn't exist any more. Re: the cemetery - I might have some info somewhere talking about a cemetery in that area, but it'll take me a while to check it out. If someone else gets to you with the info before I do, please let me know privately @ jomello@innercite.com.

Joanne

Posted: 30 Sep 2001 2:16PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Edited: 4 Jul 2002 3:50PM GMT
SKIP-
THERE IS A CEMETERY AT OAK BAR. SO FAR ONLY 1 GRAVE HAS BEEN LOCATED THERE LISTED ON THE SISKIYOU COUNTY CEMETERY SITE OF LAURA MELTON, BUT MY COUSIN HAS A SITE MAP & GRAVE LISTING SHE IS GOING TO COMPLETE AND RELEASE TO THEM SOON. I WILL ASK HER IF YOUR PEOPLE ARE LISTED AND LET YOU KNOW.
KATHIE

Judy (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2002 9:58PM GMT

Judy (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2002 10:00PM GMT
Hi, I was looking through this mail list for something else and my eye was caught by your post. My family owns the Oak Bar property now and indeed there is a cemetery there, and we have some documentation about those buried there. E-mail me privately for more information or my phone number.
Judy

Posted: 12 Mar 2002 4:01AM GMT
Edited: 4 Jul 2002 3:50PM GMT
JUDY,
MAIL ME PLEASE WITH YOUR INFORMATION. KBEXPRESS1969@AOL.COM WOULD LOVE TO TALK TO YOU. THANKS.

bcorr (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2002 4:28AM GMT
Surnames: Clyman
I'm researching the Clymans, and I found this information on the LDS (Mormon) site, which now has the 1880 Census online and it's completely searchable:

Extract: 1880 United States Census
Census Place: Scott River, Siskiyou, California
Source: FHL Film 1254083; National Archives Film T9-0083; Page 233A
Household:
Rel Sex Marr Race Age Birthplace
Lancaster CLYMAN
Self Male M W 57 OH
Occ: Hotel Keeper Fa: PA Mo: OH
Elizabeth CLYMAN
Wife Female M W 65 WALES
Occ: Keeping House Fa: WALES Mo: WALES
James I. CLYMAN
Son Male S W 20 CA
Occ: Miner Fa: OH Mo: WALES
James H. LINDSAY
Other Male S W 53 IL
Occ: Bar Keeper Fa: KY Mo: OH
Timothy D. AUSTIN
Other Male S W 55 MA
Occ: Miner Fa: MA Mo: NH
George F. MERWIN
Other Male S W 24 PA
Occ: Carpenter Fa: PA Mo: PA
John E. BRUNT
Other Male S W 45 NY
Occ: Miner Fa: ENG Mo: NY
Robert MCCAULEY
Other Male S W 15 CA
Occ: Servant Fa: IRE Mo: IRE
Sing
Other Male S A 37 CHINA
Occ: Cook In Hotel Fa: CHINA Mo: CHINA

Also, I'm trying to figure out who Lancaster Clyman's parents are. There's another Lancaster Clyman that must have been his cousin, but I can't find the connection.

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 12:52AM GMT
Does anyone know of a family living there in 1940 by the name of Nichols they may have had two girls by the name of Donna Patrica and Shirley Anne the irls would have had the last name of Shane. Thank you EM Shane Snyder elvisfan36@comcast.net

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 9:32PM GMT
Siskiyou Cemeteries Central has a listing for Oak Bar Cemetery at the following link:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~casiskiy/Cemeteries/Other/...

There are driving directions provided, and I wish I had known where the former town was located when I was in the area last summer, as my Father was born in Oak Bar in 1907. I'm given to understand there is little or nothing left of the old town, however, and I was told that the former townsite may be on private property, so it would be best to find out for sure and get permission before having a look. Good luck, and if nothing else, you will see some spectacular country. I long to return to the area.

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 11:59PM GMT
The next time you visit Siskiyou County, check in with the museum there. You could learn much more about the town I'm sure. Be sure to call ahead for museum hours. You could also ask about using their reference material in their research room. I believe there is a link to the museum site through the Siskiyou cemeteries site.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions