Search for content in message boards

Walter Lewis

Walter Lewis

Posted: 2 Sep 2010 10:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lewis, Burge, Rose, Mitchell
I'm searching for the parents of Walter Lewis. He was born in feb 1868 and died in mar 1940. He married Mary Marie Burge 1n 1890. His obit. says his parents were Sarah Ross and George Lewis. The death cert. says his parents were Sarah Rose and George Lewis. I found Walter in the census of 1890, living with Rufus Mitchell; the relationship said "adopted son". I found a Sarah living with a James Kinney in 1870 census in Jackson Twnshp, Greene Co, Pa. It did not list a last name for Sarah, but showed two children-Walter age 2 and rebecca age 1. Under profession, Sarah was listed as housekeeper and both children as illegatamite. Walter was my ggrandfather, his son Ross was my grandfather. I lived with Ross until I was age 10 at his death. I would appreciate any help or info anyone may have. I have hit a brick wall and do not know where to check next.

Re: Walter Lewis

Posted: 12 Sep 2010 1:48AM GMT
Hi,
Where was Walter born?

Posted: 20 Sep 2010 6:15PM GMT
Hi,
Thanks for replying. I don't know where he was born. I can't find anything on him. I searched for a Walter Lewis in the 1870 census. He should have been around two years old. I've looked in all the townships, other counties, and even other states. I think I'm going in circles now. I read an article on researching people in clusters, so I'm trying to do this now. Any help or insight you can give would be really, really, really appreciated! Linda

Posted: 21 Sep 2010 4:10PM GMT
Hi Linda,
OK, let's start with what you do know and work backwards in time. When and where was Ross born? Who were his siblings? Do you know when and where Ross died? Do you have a copy of his obituary?

Posted: 22 Sep 2010 6:42PM GMT
Hi Judy,
Thank you so much for helping. Ross was born 19Feb1894 in Greene County, PA. He had five brothers: William Byrd Dec1891 to 1951/ married Bernice Ellen Martin; John Henry o8Jun1896 to 15Dec1951/married Jettie Kilgore and had two sons, Lawrence and Herbert; Arlan Cain 23Sept1897 to Nov1962/married Hazel Crow(my grandmother's sister) and had one son Arlan David; Albert Paul 25Jan1900 to 16Apr1964/married Bonnie-had several children one of whom was Eugene; Franklin Talmadge 07Jun1902 to 25Sept1964/married Maude Taylor and had two children Mary Marie and Franklin.
My grandfather, Ross, married Asia Frances Crow and had one child, Raymond Howard Walter Lewis.(Howard after my grandmother's brother and Walter after Ross's father.
They are buried at Rosemont Cemetary in Rogersville, PA. Ross's mother and father, Mary Marie and Walter, are also buried there, in another section of the cemetary. The headstones say mother and father.
Ross died 16Jan1959 in Bluff, Jackson Township, Greene County, PA. He died in our home. John and Frank were our neighbors
I have Ross's obituary under this url:
http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.pen...
Thanks again Judy, this is so kind of you.
Linda

Posted: 24 Sep 2010 4:26AM GMT
Surnames: Lewis
Hi,
Did you know you posted your message in Lewis County, Idaho? Not a big deal but it confused me. Or do you think Sarah or George was born there?

I found the 1880 Jackson, Greene Co., PA census where Walter was living with the Kitchel or Mitchel family and listed as adopted.

I looked for his parents in the 1870 Census but didn't find them.

I'd say your next step is to find Sarah and George's death information. I'm not familiar with searching in PA, however, I'd contact Greene County Pennsylvania Clerk or do a Google search for Greene County Pennsylvania Genealogy. That should bring up several web sites and hopefully one will have death info.

I figure Sarah and George were born around 1848 in Pennsylvania. They both must have died before 1880 Census in Greene Co.

Also look for a copy of Walter's birth certificate or where it's written in a ledger book.

The next thing is to post your query on the Greene County, PA Message Board. Successful Searching!

Posted: 24 Sep 2010 7:32PM GMT
Hi again,
No, I didn't know I posted my message in Idaho. Sorry, but I just got so excited.....Anyway, thanks again from Pennsylvania.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions