Search for content in message boards

Effenberger Quarry

Effenberger Quarry

Posted: 26 Mar 2004 11:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Effenberger
Researching the Effenbergers from Northern Bohemia:
About 1915 the Effenberger brothers have started a black gabbro quarry probably south of Loon Lake next to Mellen. Who knows more or has photos oder documents etc.?

Re: Effenberger Quarry

LSchwartz (View posts)
Posted: 26 Mar 2004 1:51PM GMT
Mellen is in Ashland County. You need to post your query there. There are at least 6 Loon Lake's in Wisconsin.

jerry bauch (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2004 11:39PM GMT
I grew up in Mellen and spent lots of time at the two quarries near Loon Lake, where my family had a cabin. I still go there for the summers. The waste piles of black gabbro have been cleaned out, first to use the large blocks for piers in Lake Superior and then smaller pieces ground up to use in artificial granite countertops. I don't know much about the Effenberger brothers, but Joe Barabe is Mayor of Mellen and has done extensive historical research. He has published two books on the history of Mellen which probably contain some information. You could write him at: Joe Barabe, Mellen, WI 54546.

Wolfgang Schmied (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2004 8:02AM GMT
Surnames: Effenberger
Hi Jerry! Thanks for the hint! Wolfgang

Posted: 7 Aug 2010 2:41AM GMT
Hi don't know anything about the Effenberger quarry near Lake Loon but I am an Effenberger with a Masters in Geosciences and my job involves Extractive Industries. I am intrigued by the coincidence. My family was from Nymburk Bohemia and father left as a refugee just after WWII. Father Emil Frank Effenberger. Think I still have relatives in Nymburk. Email me if you like. Sue Effenberger (Australia)

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 4:05AM GMT
Hi Wolfgang

I have found your posts interesting, and replied to an earlier one in 2010.

I haven't had much luck with finding out about my roots but now I have joined ancestry.com in Australia. I am descended from the Effenbergers of Nymburk Bohemia Czech Republic and my father was Emil Frank Effenberger (emigrated to Australia around 1955).

Are you able to help me connect the dots please? Especially information about my aunt and uncle?

Susan Marie Effenberger (Lake Macquarie NSW Aust)

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 4:08AM GMT
Hi Ashland service1140

I have found your posts interesting, and replied earlier to one in 2010.

I haven't had much luck with finding out about my roots but now I have joined ancestry.com in Australia. I am descended from the Effenbergers of Nymburk Bohemia Czech Republic and my father was Emil Frank Effenberger (emigrated to Australia around 1955).

Are you able to help me connect the dots please? Especially information about my aunt and uncle?

Susan Marie Effenberger (Lake Macquarie NSW Aust)

Posted: 18 May 2013 3:36AM GMT
hi, susan, the churchbokks of nymburk will be in the net. So You can start researching! Wolfgang.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions