Search for content in message boards

KILMARTIN kin

KILMARTIN kin

Posted: 25 Aug 2005 5:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Sep 2005 8:13PM GMT
Surnames: KILMARTIN CARTY
I'm trying to find my KILMARTIN roots, likely in Drumcliff & Magherow, Sligo. My ancestors on this line were DANIEL KILMARTIN & ELEANORA CARTY. I know nothing of their births, but I believe their first child was MICHAEL, born Abt. 1845 in D&M, according to the LDS site (where the name indicates KILMARTEN).

The family appears in Glasgow in the early 1850's, where my line descends from another son, DANIEL. There are other KILMARTINs (& variations) evident in the LDS records around the same time, likely some of the 1st Daniel's siblings, but I have no links. Any help, hints, prayers, will be appreciated.

NEIL KILMARTIN in Pickering Ontario CANADA

Re: KILMARTIN kin

elaine (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2005 10:04AM GMT
I too have Kilmartin in my line originating in Drumcliffe & lower rosses point, Co Sligo. michael Kilmartin born 1859 was my great grandfather. He married Bridget (B.1865)and had 5 children Mary 1890 (my grandmother) Kate 1892, William 1893, Bridget 1896 & Ellen 1898. I have not been able to trace back further than my great granfather as yet & was interested to know if your Kilmartins are related to mine! Happy hunting

Posted: 28 Aug 2005 4:35PM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2005 8:13PM GMT
Surnames: KILMARTIN, CARTY, (LADEN & McDONAGH)
The only KILMARTIN in my tree that I am 100% sure of came from Ireland was my great great grandfather Daniel, who was likely born Abt. 1820 in Ireland, specifically where, I do not know. So I cannot suggest a link at this time.

His father was also Daniel, and his mother was CATHERINE LADEN. He married ELEANORA (HELEN) CARTY in Ireland, likely around 1844, having at least one child there, Michael, born Abt. 1845, Drumcliff & Magherow, and their subsequent children, including my great grandfather Daniel were all likely born in Glasgow.

I have no knowledge of the fate of any of my great grandfather's siblings either.

Family lore has always indicated Sligo as the family's place of origin, and the LDS indicates the baptism of MICHAEL KILMARTEN in 1845, as indicated above, parents being the same names as my ancestors, so I'm confident that he was their 1st child.

I wish I knew more, and would appreciate any of those wonderful people out there who might be able to provide assistance for folk like you and I to trace our roots.

NEIL in CANADA

ANNE KAVANAGH (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2006 11:17PM GMT
Surnames: K/GILMARTIN, GILLEN, DEVANEY
THIS IS A LATE CONTACT. I JUST CAME ACROSS YOUR MESSAGE. MY K/GILMARTINS WERE A LOWER ROSSES FAMILY. MICHAEL GILMARTIN WAS BROTHER TO MARY ANNE WHO WAS OUR G/GRANDMOTHER AND WHO MARRIED OWEN GILLEN. SO YOU ARE COUSIN TO DEVANEY'S. IF I CAN HELP, PLEASE CONTACT.

Posted: 31 Dec 2008 8:19PM GMT
Hi I found an Anna Kilmartin b. 14 June 1884 to a William Kilmartyn and Brigida Reilly, christened on 17th June 1884 sponsors were Jacobus Kivlahan and Margarita Gillan. Also a William Jacobus kilmartyn b. 26.9.1885 to William Kilmartyn and Elizabetha McDonnell christened on 27.9.1885 sponsors were Michael kilmartyn and B. Gillin. They are the only two births I see in Rosses Upper/Lower/Point between May 1880 and July 1896. (spellings as found) Does this help? I know its a bit later than your dates.

Posted: 31 Dec 2008 8:30PM GMT
I wish I could say it helps, though I do appreciate you taking the time to look and post.

I know nothing of my KILMARTINs or any of the related families, after my relatives all emigrated from Ireland to Glasgow in the 1840's thru' the 1870's. (What? No spuds?)

The only info' prior to that time is, the names of parents of various Glasgow kin as they applied for Poor Relief in Glasgow in the 1880's and 1890's. In some cases, their parents were mentioned, but invariably as "deceased", Ireland.

So..bottom line...I know of NO relatives left in Ireland.

DARN!

Neil in Canada

Posted: 31 Dec 2008 8:30PM GMT
Hi Anne, Late viewing of your post...Im interested in your Devaney line from Rosses Upper/Lower/Point, can you tell me more.....?? My Devaney interest is a Thomas Devaney b.1845 married Catherine Bruen in 1864. Two of their daughters, Catherine and Maria, married two Gillen brothers, Willie & Tommie. Any connection....

Posted: 31 Dec 2008 8:41PM GMT
There were only a handfull of famalies living in the Lower Rosses at that time and even today 80% of those living there are all related or connected to each other. Its a very small community (20 - 30 houses) The McLoughlins, Devaneys, Killerlanes, Kivlehans and Kilgallens all still live in the Lower Rosses. There must have been an alternative to spuds!

Posted: 31 Dec 2008 8:59PM GMT
Hi again Anne, Iv found you I think! Are you related to Betty Devaney daughter of Michael Devaney b.1887 (who married Mary Ann Gilmartin circa 1915)son of Thomas John Devaney Sn. b.c.1837 and Margaret Waters? Im interested in any siblings of Thomas John. Ty.

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 8:42AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 3 Mar 2013 3:44AM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions