Posted: 25 Oct 2004 5:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Mar 2011 8:53PM GMT
Sullivan County

Re: Will do lookups for Sullivan County, NY

Margaret Davis (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2004 7:31AM GMT
Hi Geri, Thanks for that offer!! I have the REGAN's in Liberty-Parksville ca 1870-79. They were Catholic and I am wondering what church they might have attended and where would I find the records? Thank you, Margaret

Posted: 1 Nov 2004 11:28PM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2005 10:24PM GMT
Thanks for your inquiry. I am happy to help you if I can. There is a catholic church in Liberty, St. Peters. I am not sure what records they have available. Up on the hill from the church & town is the cemetery. Very expansive and beutifully layed out for a cemetery. I have relatives buried there, in the catholic section. I have just done some research and hunted all over it for some of my elusive ancestors. I do recall seeing the surname REGAN on a tombstone.

Posted: 9 Nov 2004 9:31PM GMT
Hi, Geri

Most of my family is from Ulster County, but a few settled in Sullivan. Could you find out anything about Oscar and Hannah Irwin Baker? They are buried in the Grahamsville RDC cemetery. Some of their children are buried next to them. On the census, she claimed to have borne 9 children and had 3 living (1910?). I think they both died between 1920 and 1930. Hannah was my g-grandfather's sister. She was born in Ulster Co. and he was born in Ohio.

Also, where is Cochecton? On the very early census records there are Irwins there, but I don't even know where that is.

Thanks
Gretchen

Posted: 9 Nov 2004 9:36PM GMT
Surnames: Irwin
I thought of one more name: Moses Irwin, who is buried in the Claryville cemetery, died in 1907. He once lived in Ulster Co.--I think he was born there. Darned if I can figure out who his parents were. He should have a death certificate, but I don't think he does. Maybe there are some records about him in the Sullivan Co. Clerk's office?? Or a newspaper obit? I spent some time last week checking out the year 1907 in the Ellenville Journal, but found nothing. Could you check your sources?

Thanks
Gretchen

Posted: 10 Nov 2004 2:51PM GMT
Edited: 1 May 2005 11:56AM GMT
Surnames: Maus, Hyzer, Davis
Hello Margaret

I have several families in Sullivan County. One just happens to be Davis. The others are Maus and Hyzer.

Harriet Davis married my cousin George Smith early 1940's. They were only married one year. She died in an auto accident. George was born in 1921 so I am assuming they were married in 1942? I think they lived in Ellenville.

Harry Hyzer of Liberty lived with my Grandmother Louise Watson. She signed her name on a marriage license for one of her children using his name. Harry was born in Liberty in 1888. Parents were Elmer Emmet Hyzer and Mary Hoxsie.

Alfred Maus born about 1905 supposedly married my Aunt Lula Watson. She may have used Lula Smith when they married. They were married after 1935. Lula worked for Valentine Maus who was Alfred Maus's father. Alfred supposedly committed suicide.

If you run across any of these names I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks Linda

Margaret Davis (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2004 7:25AM GMT
Edited: 13 Dec 2008 1:14AM GMT
Sorry Linda, I don't think I can help you (darn). Davis is my married name and I have not researched it beyond my husbands siblings and they are all located in Kentucky. Good Luck, Margaret

Posted: 12 Nov 2004 6:51PM GMT
Surnames: Watts
Geri,

I was hoping you might be able to give me some suggestions as to finding more information about the Watts family that lived in Sullivan County in the early to mid 1800s. I've traced my roots to a William Watts born around 1853 in Bloomingburg to a Henry Watts and Dolly Watts. Family legend has it that Dolly was a Mohawk Indian. I know official records down exist from around that time, but I've been trying like mad to figure out what church they may have attended. Later generations were Roman Catholic, but who knows about that early on. I know Dolly and Henry got married around 1849 and show up on the 1850 Census in Mamakating, Bloomingburg.

Any suggestions as to where to go for information?

Posted: 15 Nov 2004 2:40PM GMT
Edited: 13 Dec 2008 1:56PM GMT
Surnames: SMITH
Hello Geri,
Thank you for your generous offer. I am looking for any information on my John W. Smith family. John W. Smith was born about 1817 in NJ. Sometime before 1840, he married Helen or Ellen J. Bro(a)dhead. From 1840 through 1870, he was a blacksmith living in Mamakating. Their children were all born in Mamakating: Emeline D. b 1845, Mary E. b 1848, Martha b 1851, Andrew B. b 1853, James b 1859, John E. b 1861, Elizabeth b 1863, Thomas C. b 1865 and Maria b 1869. They were probably married in Mamakating. Any assistance with this family is deeply appreciated.

Mike Bartlett (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2004 4:10PM GMT
Surnames: KUSTEL
I have a distant cousin, Alexis Odilio Kustel, b. 1912, d. Jun 1978 per SSDI apparently in Sullivan Cty. Wife's name Sarah. Would it be possible to find death cert and/or obit? Are there any city directories that I could access?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic