Classification: Query
Surnames: Hitchcock, Darling, Van Neman, Shirley, Patterson, Green
Would the person who have the above name, please contact
me at tkco@earthlink.net. Thank for you time. Kathy

Re: Parley Colburn

Eileen Koehler (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jun 2002 5:22AM GMT
My great uncle was named Parley R. Colburn, born in November 1869 in Michigan. He died in 1946 at Grand Rapids, MN and is buried in the Itasca Calvary Cemetery. His wife was Lucy Mae ? who died in 1931 and is buried in the same cemetery. They had one child, Susie.
He did at one time live in Richardton, ND and had a land patent there. Any connection to your Parley?
I always thought Parley was a pretty odd name but I have seen it a lot in recent research.

Posted: 23 Sep 2003 5:27AM GMT
Surnames: Colburn, Stanley, Cody or Cady?, Matthews, Brown, Chamberlain, Ward
Eileen, I believe we have a family link. I have a Parley Rander Colburn, born 11/10/1868. Father is Hiram Colburn who married Eliza Cody (the spelling I received) in Northfield, Minnesota. They had 7 children. I have listed 1) Arthur no marriage or children 2) Charles who married Mattie Stanley (Margaret?). Their children are 1) Mabel d in 1976, who married Richard Hardin, one child Mary 2) Vern who married Marva. 3) Doris b 1/2/03, d 7/29/1988 married Ralph Sisler, children are Lee, Marilyn, Janet and Bill and 4) Clark b 11/15/1904, d 8/18/1970 married Edna, children are Richard and Charles. No. 3 of Hiram & Eliza is Clark, married to Maude. 4) Ernest who died at 18 years of age. 5) Minnie who married Will Chamberlain 6) Parley Rander, no spouse listed, one child named Susie who married Waldron Ward. Susie's children are Wilma & Bill. It is noted that Susie had 3 other children from another relationship, and no. 7) Josephine Augusta b 11/5/1874 in New England, N.D., d 6/22/1950 in Seattle, Wash. She married my great grandfather, James Fitz Matthews in 1891 in Northfield, Minnesota. I have the entire family tree descended from Josephine & James.

Excerpt from a relatives notes: "Phineas Colburn was from Calburn County, Scotland (northern border of Wales). Phineas has a brother Will and a sister Anna Phineas was brought to New York as an infant by his family and other clan members. As an infant, they went to Canada, then to the States. Some to Wisconsin and some to Michigan. Hiram & his brothers Paul & Levi (sons of Phineas) went to Michigan, then to Northfield, Minnesota. Hiram & Eliza lived in Northfield where they were married in the 1870's. Their son Parley said they were there when the James Boys (alias Jesse & Frank James outlaw fame) came to rob the bank. They think in 1874. Josephine, remembers being in the general store with her mother Eliza and had to fall to the floor to avoid the gunfire. Ssometime between then and 1897 they moved to N.D. Grandpa (Phineas) died as a young man".

I have a picture of a Doris Sisler. She was in the wedding party of my grandfather Fred Whitney Matthews & grandmother Agatha Mary Brown, married July 17, 1922.
I have a picture of Josephine Augusta Colburn, sister to Parley.

If any of this information connects, which I think it does, please contact me.

Posted: 20 Jan 2004 5:16PM GMT
Eileen- please contact me at wkuehl@mchsi.com. I am your aunt Susie's daughter.

Posted: 23 Jan 2010 11:29AM GMT
Hello,

Through the beauty of Google and Ancestry.com, I read that you have a photo (perhaps one I don't have) of Doris Sisler from 1922. She was my maternal grandmother.

Cheers,

Bill

Posted: 24 Jan 2010 1:17AM GMT
Hi Bill; Yes I have a couple photos. She is in the wedding photo of my grandparents, Fred and Agatha Matthews. I think I have one of her also in 1945 at a family renunion in Minnesota, also with my grandparents. Would love to share any information you have, if any. In the meantime, where do you want me to email the photos to? Or would you prefer a hard copy?

Sincerely, Patricia

Posted: 12 Apr 2011 8:00PM GMT
We have Parley Colburns in our family tree, but not as direct ancestors.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic