Search for content in message boards

Fay's of Loughgall, County Armagh

Fay's of Loughgall, County Armagh

Elizabeth M. Smith (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jun 2002 11:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: FAY, GILLESPIE, CORRIGAN, ROBINSON, MCENENEY
Looking for connections to John Fay married to Jane Gillespie. Children were Mary, John, James, Alice, Ellen Elizabeth, Margaret, Catherine and Annie.
Alice married John Corrigan in New York. Catherine married Edmond Robinson in Ireland, Margaret married Peter McEneney (sp?), Annie never married.

Re: Fay's of Loughgall, County Armagh

Posted: 15 Aug 2002 3:03PM GMT
I also have a Fay of Armagh Ireland. Except his real name is Patrick Fahey and was changed to Fay when he got to America. I have been unable to pick up Fahey in Armagh. Possible brother was Frank Fahey.

Posted: 15 Aug 2002 8:13PM GMT
How sure are you about the name differences? When my ggm, Alice Fay, came to the US, she was told that "Fay" was too upperclass and she had to call herself Fahey! Fortunately, she changed it back to Fay, so I was able to find her in Ireland. I have some stuff my aunt sent me about Fay's in Armagh - if you are interested I can email it to you.

Craig Porter (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2002 7:59PM GMT
Surnames: Fay
I am descended from Loughgall Fays and would be very interested in comparing notes.

My gg grandmother Margaret Fay married William Laidlaw in Loughgall before "emigrating" to Glasgow in the early 1870s. Her father, according to her death register was John Fay, married to Catherine McLoughlan.

However, another researcher has given me details from a sheet of the 19th century Fays of Loughgall Parish, Co. Armagh. On it is listing for James Fay/Catherine McLoughlin, married 1839. They have listed 4 children, Margaret, b. 1840,
Mary, b.1842, Mary again, b. 1844 and Ellen, b. 1847

However, the dates on this register are certainly ballpark. Given that Loughgall is a small place there's a pretty good chance that these are thesame people. Interesting that there IS a contemporary John Fay though - a possible brother/cousin - perhaps there was some shenanigans going on that the Irish Parish Registrar would not get told about?!

Any more info on the Fays would be very welcome as I have been unable to find anything prior to this!

Posted: 16 Oct 2002 12:09PM GMT
It almost sounds as if you have the same information that I have been given, spotty, but interesting. We are moving, and as soon as I can find which box my stuff is in, I will send you copies of it. My ggm was Alice Fay, who came to New York in the late 1880's and married John Corrigan, also of Loughgall. For some obscure reason, they had their pctures done in Glasgow, and there seems to be a Scottish connection with John's mother which I can't find. Alice's sister, Catherine, married a Robinson, and died in Loughgall. Her sister, Annie, never married, and died in New York. If you think there is a connection, my cousin, Stephen Corrigan, also has posted a lot of messages on the Corrigan message board.

Craig Porter (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2002 12:47PM GMT
Surnames: Fay
Thank you - any info you might have would be great. Similarly, I will post any useful findings here. Regarding the parish register - it probably is the same information - the supplier was Stephen Corrigan!

Stephen Corrigan (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 2002 3:47PM GMT
meghan,
I have an assortment of Fay's that were from Loughgall Parish, Co. Armagh that I can forward to you. This is the information that Elizabeth Smith had spoken to you about a little while back. We are cousins that have been introduced through rootsweb/genealogy message boards. I am not sure if it will help but you can look it over.
Steve Corrigan

Posted: 8 Aug 2007 2:56PM GMT
Surnames: Fay, Murray
Hi - do you have any descendants for your Patrick? I am looking for a Patrick Fay who married Mary Murray about 1870 and had Frank, Nellie, Agnes, Gertrude, and Loretta. This family lived in Cleveland, Ohio. Patrick and Mary both emigrated from Ireland at unknown dates. Thanks for any help! karenfurst.com

Posted: 9 Aug 2007 10:23AM GMT
I have quite a bit on that line.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fayfamily/patrick_f...

After you have read it, let me know what's missing, and I'll be happy to add material.

lindakaufman @ earthlink.net

Posted: 11 Aug 2007 9:12PM GMT
Surnames: Fay, Cavanaugh, Murray
Hi - Yes, we emailed a few years back about Frank and Patrick and that's what got you started with this line. All your info seems to be in order except at the top where you write that Frank was born in Columbus - that should be Cleveland.

What I am trying to do now is to ascertain Frank's parentage. Was Patrick indeed his father? I am trying to find a birth certificate for them both and a marriage certificate for Patrick and Mary. The census evidence is confusing - it seems that Patrick and Mary Murray were married a year after Frank was born. Was he illegitimate or was the census in error? There is a family legend that Frank changed his name from Cavanaugh to Fay because it sounded less Irish. To me, Fay sounds just as Irish as Cavanaugh but what do I know? Could there be a grain of truth in the name change? Could his real father have been a Cavanaugh? Was Mary married previously? I have lots of questions and no answers! Thanks for any help or guidance you can give! - karenfurst.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic