Search for content in message boards

Charles Wolff Family of Franklin Co., MO

Charles Wolff Family of Franklin Co., MO

Posted: 19 May 2005 11:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wolff
I am seeking information on my 3rd great grandfather Charles Wolff born May 20, 1816 and his wife Sophia Bunge Wolff born July 25, 1818. They immigrated to the United States from Mecklenberg between 1854 and 1857 with their two sons Charles and Heinrich. They settled and lived in Franklin County, MO. I am particularly interested in their German background and ancestry. Any family photographs would be of great interest.

Re: Charles Wolff Family of Franklin Co., MO

Posted: 23 May 2005 4:09AM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2006 3:44AM GMT
Surnames: WOLFF, LANDWEHR, EHLERS, THEE, MURRAY, IRBY, THURMAN, FERGUSON
Hello Stephen,
I also have WOLFF family in Franklin County, Missouri. My GrandFather was Henry C. Wolff. He was born in 1881 and died Nov 8, 1942. He married Katherine (Katie) Landwehr who was born 1882 and died Jan 27, 1953. Do any of these connect with any of your WOLFF lines?

Thanks for your time
Margie Murray

Posted: 23 May 2005 11:18PM GMT
Hi Margie,
Thanks for your reply. I don't have the connection to your grandfather, but the families must be somehow related. My Wolff ancestors lived in the Port Hudson, Campbellton, Clover bottom area of Franklin County. They attended Ebenezer Lutheran Church. My lineage is Charles(Carl) > Heinrich > Wilhelm > Edward Henry > Edward Louis > then me. My great grandfather Wilhelm was raised by his grandfather Charles(Carl) Sr. and his Uncle Charles(Carl) Jr. because his father Heinrich died when he was only 18 months old. Does any of this make a connection to your grandfather?
Thank you for your reply,
Steve

Posted: 18 Feb 2006 1:25AM GMT
Since you replied to my previously posted message, I have learned that my great-grandfather was Ludwig C. Wolf (listed in the 1860 census) and married to Anna Goener at that time. In the 1870 census, he had changed his name to Louis. He was born in November, 1834, somewhere in the Germany area (given as Biggeburg in 1860 census) and died in Osage County, Missouri, in January, 1887. Have not been able to locate him in the 1850 census (still searching) or on any of the passenger lists of those coming to this country anytime before 1860. Guess this just goes to show you that things can change... At the time of my first message I thought my g-grandfather was Charles Wolff, now i find that it is someone else.
Sorry I have not replied to your post before now but things have been happenin'..
Take care and thanks for your reply.
Marg Murray

Steve (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2006 2:18PM GMT
Hi Marge,

You are right things do change. I could not find my Wolff family on any of the passenger lists for quite a long time. I finally located them under the name of Wulff. In the family records in Germany and in America the names of family members are somtimes recorded as Wulf, Wulff, Wolf, Wolff. I have had luck finding my family members recorded with all of these surnames.
Good Hunting!
Steve

Posted: 21 Dec 2011 6:38AM GMT
Edited: 14 Jan 2013 12:40PM GMT
Surnames: Wolf, Wulf, Wulff Wolfe, Wolff
I have a gggrandfather named Carl/Charles Wolff who ran off with Maria Louisa "Charlotte" Eilbracht from Monroe Co Illinois about 1843 and had a son called John "Henry" Wolf. He was sort of passed from relative to relative. I think they each went their own way although she said he died in 1847 or 1849. I just had Y DNA done and wonder if any one else has had DNA done. Thanks for any help. I think Charlie was born in Germany. Linda Spreen

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 8:44AM GMT
Edited: 14 Jan 2013 12:40PM GMT
Surnames: Wolff, Eilbracht
I have a Charles Wolff who is my gggrandfather. He had a son about 1844 named John "Henry" Wolf. The mother was a Charlotte Eilbracht from Monroe Co Illinois. She came from a very Lutheran background. I think that Carl/Charles was from Germany. I do have yDNA done. Thanks for any help. LInda Spreen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic