Search for content in message boards

Rev. J. Johnson (1850)

Rev. J. Johnson (1850)

Jerry Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Johnson
Rev. J. Johnson is in the 1850 census as living in Sugarloaf Twp., Luzerne County, PA. If you have info on this indiviual,I would appreciate an e-mail. Thanks in advance.

Jerry Johnson

Rev J Johnson

Posted: 14 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 10:09PM GMT
Luzerne county

Are you talking about Reverend Jacob Johnson (4/7/1713 - 3/15/1797)who was involved in the settlement of the Wyoming Valley? From my records, he was a minister who settled in Forty Fort, then Wyoming from Wallingford, CT. I am a direct descendant from my mother's side of the family.

If this is who you're looking for, I do have info. Please respond.

Rev. J. Johnson

Jerry Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
I have a ggggrand father, Asbury Johnson who lived in Luzerne County and serviced in the Civil War. I have not been able to locate his parents or where he was born. Is there any connection between your family and mine? Any info would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Rev Jacob Johnson

Posted: 18 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
I've provided you some names - if you can expand on it - that would be great. I have a couple different sources which all say Rev Jacob Johnson had the following children:

Jehoida Pitt Johnson b 1767 / d 1830
Jacob b 1765 / d 1807
Lydia b 1756 (incidentally she was the 2nd wife of Colonel Zebulon Butler)
Christiana Olive b 1801

It is also mentioned in records that Rev Johnson had four young daughters die before maturity, but their names are not mentioned.

Jehoida Pitt Johnson had 11 children which follow. The only thing I find for Jacob Johnson is the fact that he had 2 daughters - Mary & Lydia, but no dates are associated.

Zepporah b 1805 / d 1806
Ovid b 1807 / d 1853
Mary b 1809 / d 1880
Jehoida b 1812 / d 1871
William b 1814 / d 1893
Christian b 1817 / d infancy
Priestly b 1819 / d 1878
Wesley b 1819 / d 1892
Sarah b 1824 / d 1903
Diantha b 1826 / d 1874

The funny part is that my grandfather's name was Priestly and I had an Uncle Ovid & William as well. So the apples didn't fall too far from that original tree, but they have all passed away and didn't seem to know any of the other family members - or if they did, they didn't speak to one another because my Mother doesn't remember anyone, nor do I from childhood.

I've got to do more research with the male members of this generation to establish the links. I know my Great Grandfather was Robert Johnson, but I'm not sure who his parents were. Due to deaths, most remarried young which split the family lines into zig-zags!! I need to quit working just to keep up with this!!!!

If any of this helps, let me know.

Johnson

Gerald Johnson (View posts)
Thanks for the quick responce.

Asbury's first son had the first name of Charles and so did the first grandchild. Is it possible that Rev. J. Johnson had a son named Charles? The thought is that his given name was Charles and his nick name was Asbury.

Thanks again,
Jerry Johnson

Rev J. Johnson

I've been doing this research on & off for the last few years and I can't remember coming across the name Asbury Johnson. However, there are many, many descendants of Jacob Johnson. One of his children had eleven!!! I'm still trying to figure out all the births, marriages, deaths, re-marriages, etc. I will keep your post & if I do ever come across it, I will let you know. Thanks for inquiring - I know one of these days, I'm going to hit the jackpot, so to speak.....Someone out there has got the connections I'm looking for.

Re: Rev Jacob Johnson

Posted: 2 Jul 2001 8:11PM GMT
Surnames: Jacob Johnson
Jill,

Are you still researching the Johnson family? I've been doing research for many years - perhaps I have some info to share with you. I descend from Rev. Jacob's son, Jacob, who married Anna Bailey and had Mary and Lydia. Mary is my great great grandmother.

Nancy in PA

Re: Rev Jacob Johnson

Posted: 2 Jul 2001 10:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Nancy,

I am thrilled that you responded to my post. I made that about 1 1/2 years ago and am still receiving responses. It's unbelievable the amount of information I've been able to obtain - from people in Virginia, Florida, Colorado & Washington - all descendants of these Johnsons.

I'd be very interested to write to you directly. My email address is jcoutts@ccomm.com .

I know which branch you are speaking of. Rev Jacob had a son named Jehoida Pitt from which I descend. I quickly looked at some research related to what you've told me and see that Jacob Johnson b 1765, d 1807 had two daughters, Mary & Lydia. Mary married Phineas Nash Foster in 1822 who had one son - Charles Foster b Nov 25, 1836. He married Mary Hoagland of NJ and they had two children - Florence who married Dr. Frank Jenkins and Lily - died young. If this matches up (somewhat - you never know how much info you can trust), please contact me - I'm sure we can trade info - it's helped me tremendously over the past two years!!

By chance, are you within the local area? Meaning in the Wilkes-Barre area? I noticed your name mentioned PA - That would be wonderful if you were!!! Everyone I've met on line has been from out of state. I've got so many pictuers that my Grandmother left for me that have no name to them - I'd love to get that mystery figured out. Unfortunately, my Grandparents have all passed away. My Mother's maiden name was Marjorie Johnson - daughter of Priestly Revere Johnson and Dorothy Schmassman. Priestly was the son of Robert Johnson and Emma VanDuzer. Robert was the son of William Perry Johnson and Eliza Roderick. William was the son of Jehoida Pitt Johnson and Hannah Frazer Johnson. And Jehoida - the son of Rev Jacob Johnson and Mary Giddings.

I've got names, dates, birth and death information for most of the Johnsons related by the various branches of the family, but not much in the line of stories about who they were or what they did. I'd also like to share what I have with you - it always seems to help.

Please respond directly to me at the email address listed and I'll be sure to write back. Maybe we can exchange addresses at that time and send our info to each other.

Great to hear from you - Thank you very much!!!

Jill

Re: Emma Van Duzer

Posted: 12 Jan 2003 4:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Apr 2004 11:21PM GMT
Jill:
I had a great aunt named Emma Van Duzer from Luzerne County. Her father, James Van Duzer (my great-grandfather) was a Civil War veteran of the PA Volunteers. Her mother was Mary Jane Davis Van Duzer. My mother is still alive at 98 and we are still searching for whatever we can find. Is this the same Emma? Ann Mein
per page

Find a board about a specific topic