Search for content in message boards

Moses Ray arrested & tried for murder of Dr. H. Evans (Hill-Evans Feud)

Moses Ray arrested & tried for murder of Dr. H. Evans (Hill-Evans Feud)

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 8:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Feb 2013 8:31PM GMT
Surnames: Evans, Ray
I thought we had pretty well exhausted the Hill-Evans Feud but when I was researching a completely different subject I ran across the following article in The Sullivan Democrat dated Aug., 10 1870 - Sullivan County, Indiana.

The Rescue of an Alledged Murderer at Noblesville, Indiana - The rescue of a prisoner at Noblesville on Thursday, was a more serious affair than the dispatches last night indicated. The Sheriff of Howard county, with a posse arrested a man upon the requisition of the Governor of Kentucky, and approved by the Governor of Indiana. It is stated that sometime in '62 a highly respected citizen of Garrard county, Kentucky, Dr. Evans, was found murdered and robbed of $2,500 in money, which he had on his person.

Circumstances pointed conclusively at a man named Moses M. Ray as the guilty party, and the Grand Jury of that county found a true bill against him for murder in the first degree. Ray fled the county and was heard of no more until 1865, when he showed up at Berlin, Clinton county, Indiana, and a requisition was issued by the Governor of Kentucky to the Governor of Indiana for his apprehension. Ray again disappeared, and the officers of the law were foiled in their attempt to capture him. He there afterward returned to Berlin, and on hearing of his return a second requisition was made by Governor Stevenson, in June 1870, and approved by Governor Baker, with an order for his arrest.

In pursuance of this, Sheriff Taylor, in company with Dr. Cole, a brother-in-law of the murdered man, John Goar, a young Mr. Evans, a son of the deceased, Thomas Clark and Frank Long, of this place, and a party from Tipton, proceeded to make the arrest. They arrived at Ray's residence about midnight, and after a little parley they got the prisoner. He was taken to Tipton, where some demonstrations were made for his rescue, he was put on a train.

Telegrams were sent by some Radicals at Tipton to their brethen at Noblesville, that a party of Kentucky rebels had a Union man on the train, and to make arrangements for his release. When the train reached Noblesvlle, a crowd of about two hundred were at the depot. The Sheriff, who had the prisoner in charge, was brutally beat over the head with a stone done up in a hankerchief.

The murderer was taken to the Courthouse and after a sham trial, was released. The most intense excitement prevailed at Kokomo, at the news of the difficulty, anda company of a hundred men volunteered to go to Noblesville to protect the Sheriff, if necessary, but he returned. A thousand dollars was raised in two hours to prosecute the scoundrals who rescued the prisoner, and mob law is threatened the ring leaders if they ever visit Kokomo.
END

Re: Moses Ray arrested & tried for murder of Dr. H. Evans (Hill-Evans Feud)

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 4:08AM GMT
That is very interesting! Thanks for posting this!
Rose

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 6:28PM GMT
Surnames: Evan, Ray
Additional information from Kokomo newspaper on the trial:
I won't type in the whole column because it generally repeats the previous story. The story says that there were two accounts: a. murder of Dr. Evans and $2500 stolen and, b. Moses says that although he had killed rebels, he was not there when Dr. Evans was killed. He also stated that he was in fear of his life from rebels if taken back to Garrard county. Interestingly, the Evans side must have thought that he did the murder because they had Dr. Evans brother-in-law and one of the sons traveling to Indiana to bring Ray back. The newspaper said the Judge was probably correct in that if Ray was killed in KY before being brought to trial then the court would be an accessory to murder. Evidently, Moses was considered to be a "good" Union man by his neighbors.

We still do not know who killed Dr. Evans but there was a Garrard grand jury who returned a true bill against Moses Ray. Now I know that people think a grand jury would indict a ham sandwich but there would have been testimony from someone detailing why they thought Moses was the murderer.

Sandy Hurt-Norris
aka CabinSue

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 6:21AM GMT
I am "Bad" Moses Ray's great great granddaughter. That said, regardless of whether Moses did or didn't pull the trigger probably someone in his immediate family (or wife's family) did.

Moses and his family went to Indiana then to Kansas where he lived a quiet life as a farmer and raised a small family.

Some reports have Moses living under an alias, Patrick Nash. Patrick Nash (born in Ireland) lived with Moses and his family for many years until his marriage late in life. I don't know the connection between the two.

Katrina

Posted: 24 Nov 2013 1:48PM GMT
Surnames: Ray, Evans
Katrina,
Can you tell me who Mose Ray's parents were? My 2nd ggrandmother was Malinda Ray, d/o of Michael Ray. She was married to George W. Simpson.

I would like to uncover the indictment as I am curious to the actual charges.

Thanks

Posted: 24 Nov 2013 4:21PM GMT
Moses Ray is the son of Michael Ray and Martha "Patsy" Collier. so he is Malinda's brother.

Moses' second wife is Elizabeth Raney. Elizabeth Raney's father and brothers were very involved in the feud and are listed as part of the mob. I believe Moses' first wife's relatives were also part of the mob. She was Nancy Jane Hardin.

Keep me posted as to what you find!

Katrina

Posted: 24 Nov 2013 6:50PM GMT
Surnames: Evans, Ray
So I guess we are distant cousins. I ran across the original articles by accident. I'll keep looking.
Thanks
Sandy

Posted: 24 Nov 2013 7:18PM GMT
Saw this post on genealogy.com http://genforum.genealogy.com/ray/messages/13429.html

Jack

Posted: 25 Nov 2013 1:52PM GMT
Oh wow, what a great article (and I never knew Moses' middle initial is M)!

This should make for an interesting conversation at the Thanksgiving table.....

Thank you so much for posting!

Katrina

Posted: 25 Nov 2013 2:48PM GMT
Surnames: Hill, Pollard
I have several articles on the Hill-Evans Feud as Dr. Oliver Perry Hill was the grandson of Absalom Pollard and I descend from Absalom. I can email them to anyone who would like more information but they are too long to post here.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic