Search for content in message boards

Henry Mitchell BLACK, b. 1812 TN > TX

Henry Mitchell BLACK, b. 1812 TN > TX

Posted: 25 Feb 2008 8:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am seeking information on the parents, grandparents, and siblings of Henry Mitchell Black, 1812, Nashville, Tennessee, d: 08 Jun 1878, Graham, Young County, Texas, m: 25 Dec 1838, Walker County, Texas to Mary Ann Palmer, 1820, Clay County, Missouri, d: 1853, Grimes County, Texas, Children include: Martha Augusta, William Newton, Ellen. James, Joseph, John Henry, and Thomas Anthony Black. I have found records of a second wife Harriet Louise Dewey, 10 Oct 1842, Cadiz, Harrison, Ohio, d: 18 Mar 1896, Graham, Young County, Texas, m: 1856, Palestine, Anderson County, Texas, Children include: Alfred Alford, Sam Houston, Frances Barnes, Edgar Edward Dewey, Arthur Perry, Harriet Effie, and Eldridge F. Black. I have not found a record of a divorce from the first wife Mary Ann Palmer Black. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jackie O.

Re: Henry Mitchell BLACK, b. 1812 TN > TX

Posted: 2 Mar 2008 12:34AM GMT
Surnames: Black
Jackie O,
I have correspondence from Richard & Anna Black concerning Henry Mitchell Black (1812-1878). It is a recap of his familyWould be glad to photocopy and mail to you if interested.
Deborah F

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 3:00AM GMT
Jackie,

Which of Henry's children is your ancestor? I am descended from Sam Houston Black. There is a divorce record for Mary Ann and Henry Black dated 20 Oct 1862 and recorded in Grimes County Texas. The marriage record for Henry Black and Harriet Dewey is dated 15 Dec 1862 and recorded in Anderson County Texas. Alford, Sam Houston, Frances Barnes, and Edgar Dewey were all born before Henry and Harriet married.

Hope this helps,
Susan

Samuel Wilson BLACK

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: Black,
To whoever might read this:
My husband's lineage is as follows:
His father was Horace Wilson Black, Jr. b. 1935 d. 2001
His grandfather was Horace Wilson Black, Sr. b. 1911 d. 1988
His great-grandfather was Alex Hodges Black b. 1877 d. 1941
His g.g.grandfather was Samuel Wilson Black b. & d. in Austin, TX
His g.g.g.grandfather was Alexander Frierson Black b. Mississippi. His brother was Benjamin Blair Black and they lived in KY for a while. Eventually my husbands line moved to Freestone County, TX.
I am just wondering if Alexander Frierson Black or Samuel Wilson Black could be related to you.

Re: Samuel Wilson Black m. Cynthia Wyatt

Posted: 15 Jul 2008 1:24AM GMT
Surnames: BLACK, WYATT
Cynthia Ann Wyatt's father was William Hodges Wyatt b. 1829 in AL and Anna Ray.
Cynthia's grandfather was Flemon Hodges Wyatt.
Nancy Hodges b. in SC
Cynthia A. Wyatt married Samuel Wlson Black on 17 Feb. 1876 in Hillsboro in Hill County, TX. Their son Alexander Hodges Black aka: Elec Hodges Black was born 20 March 1877 in Hill County, TX.
Cynthia died 29 March 1877 in Hill County, TX.
Then Samuel Wilson Black remarried later. Also Elec Hodges Black was raised by Cynthia's sister and her husband.

Re: Benj. Blair BLACK & Alex Frierson BLACK

Posted: 17 Jul 2008 7:44PM GMT
Wanted to clarify the post from emilysnanna172. It is doubtful that Benjamin Blair Black and Alex Frierson Black were brothers. AF is generally thought to be his nephew and even this has yet to be proven. There is an Alexander Black who may be his brother but Alex Frierson is a different person. Benjamin Blair Black was born in Knox Co,Tenn, but that we know of, AF was never there, but came to Texas from Mississippi.

Do you have some information that links Benjamin Blair & Alex Frierson? Many family researchers have been searching for a conclusive link between these two men.

Yale

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 5:25AM GMT
Oops! Knox County, Kentucky, not Tennessee.

Re: Samuel Wilson Black

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 12:59PM GMT
Samuel Wilson Black is not a descendant of Henry Mitchell Black. Any other relation is not known as we do not know Henry's parents.

Good luck!
Susan

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 12:59PM GMT
It is true that there is speculation about whether Alexander Frierson BLACK is related to Benjamin Blair BLACK. There are many "coincidental" connections, but as of July 2008 there are no DIRECT links that confirm a relationship. A. F. BLACK never lived in KY, but Benjamin B BLACK had a brother named Alexander, born 1805-6 in KY. They were both in Alabama in 1830-1840. The first record we have of Alex. F. BLACK is in the 1850 census when he is 25 years old in Lowndes Co. MS., listed as having been born in MS. He also says in following censuses that he was born in MS. Before 1850, we do not know where he was, or with whom. I believe your descendancy from A.F. BLACK is accurate. I am also a descendant of A.F. BLACK, and, like you, I hope to someday find more of his ancestry. Stay in touch.

Posted: 26 Apr 2010 6:25AM GMT
I would love to have a copy of the information that you have on Henry Mitchell Black. I would be happy to pay postage if needed.
Thank you,
M. Black
per page

Find a board about a specific topic