Search for content in message boards

John S Blaylock and Elizabeth Leverett

John S Blaylock and Elizabeth Leverett

Floyd Edwwards (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2006 8:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a problem with some of the Family Trees of these two people.
Here is what I have the problem with

According to some of the family tree submitted one of the following three marriages:
1) John and Elizabeth Leverett being married 13 Jan 1820 in Lincoln County Georgia.
The Children they have listed are:
Mary I born 1841
Harrison Born 1843
Liman born 1846
Antoinette born 1848
All these kids are born in or near Meriwether County Georgia.

2) John Blalock and Elizabeth E. Leverett were married 19 Dec 1838 in Marion County Georgia.
Mary I born 1841
Harrison Born 1843
Liman born 1846
Antoinette born 1848

3) John and Elizabeth Leverett being married 1839 in Rowan Co. N.C. (Both born in North Carolina).
Mary I born 1841
Harrison Born 1843
Liman born 1846
Antoinette born 1848

Then they state that John S died in the Civil War in 1864.

Here is where I come into problems:
1) Which of the three marriages is the correct one for the children mention above?
2) based upon the 1850 census or Meriwether has Elizabeth age as 28 and John age as 42. It seems odd that the John and Elizabeth married in 1820 waited 20 years before having children. The other two John and Elizabeth couples married only 3 years before Mary was born.
3) How Can John S. Die in the Civil war when I can look at the census of 1870 (Meriwether county) and find him and Elizabeth with their daughter Antoinette? To add further confusion, if you look at the Mortality Rate for 1880 in Meriwether County you fill find a John S. Blalock died in Nov of Consumption.

Can someone out there please help me figure out the problem?

Re: John S Blaylock and Elizabeth Leverett

Posted: 9 Apr 2008 7:46PM GMT
Surnames: BLALOCK
I just saw the message you posted about John S. Blalock. The John that died 1864 in Civil war was my relative John L. Blalock that was born in 1832 and was the son to Zadock Blalock and Margaret Ann Lewis of Rowan Co.,N.C.. The will of Calvin J. Blalock another son to Zadock and Margaret Blalock died 1847 in Meriwether Co.GA named one of his brother's as JACOB S. BLALOCK. I have often wondered if the John S. is really Jacob S. !!!!!!

The John Blalock that died 1795 in Wilkes Co., Ga. (Lincoln Co.) did have a son named David Blalock and he had a son named JOHN L. BLALOCK that married PRUDENCE GRICE. He died on January 6, 1849. The widow Prudence shows up in Meriwether Co., Ga. in 1850 living with one of her sons.
John L. Blalock and Prudence also had a son named JOHN H. BLALOCK. Lincoln County was formed from Wilkes.

I can document that my ZADOCK BLALOCK shows up on the census as living in Meriwether Co., Ga. in 1830 and the 1840 census shows ZADOCK BLALOCK and one of his son's JOSIAH L. BLALOCK living in Meriwether Co.,Ga.. Here's where in gets confusing because the 1840 Meriwether County census also shows a JOHN BLALOCK and a GIBSON BLALOCK. I can document that the JOHN L. BLALOCK in Lincoln County had a brother named GIBSON FLORENCE BLALOCK. The 1850 census for Lincoln County shows Prudence Blalock as a widow but by 1860 she has moved to Meriwether County to live with one of her sons.

Court records for Meriwether County show a JOHN BLALOCK and a JOHN S. BLALOCK served on the Grand Jury in 1830. Records for Meriwether County show that JOSIAH L. BLALOCK son to ZADOCK BLALOCK married SUSAN MOON ON 5-10-1838 and it also shows that JOHN S. BLALOCK married ELIZABETH E.LEVERETT on 12-19-1838. Meriwether county will's show that JOHN BLALOCK died (will dated 3-27-1841, recorded 5-25-1842) and it names his wife as NANCY and son as JOHN (L. or S.) and a son-in-law as JAMES SHARP. The 1850 cenus for Meriwether County shows a J.L. BLALOCK has 7 slaves, JOHN S. BLALOCK has 14 slaves. The 1860 Meriwether County census shows JOHN S. BLALOCK. Meriwether County Newspaper article reads as folows: JOHN S. BLALOCK, grandfather of R.L. Blalock. JOHN S. BLALOCK was reared in Lincoln Co., Ga. His wife was Miss Elizabeth Leverett. He was a farmer and served as Sheriff of Meriwether County for several years. The 1870 census for Meriwether County shows a JOHN BLALOCK age 62. That would mean that he was born 1808. This JOHN does not match up with any JOHN BLALOCK born in Wilkes or Lincoln Co., GA.

After twelve years of research I have NEVER found any reference to a JOHN S. BLALOCK living in Lincoln Co., Ga.
My guess would be that the JOHN BLALOCK that married ELIZABETH (NO LAST NAME GIVEN) ON 1-13-1820 in Lincoln Co. Ga. was the JOHN S. BLALOCK but that he did not use his middle initial until he reached Meriwether County. This is probably no help at all. I know I'm more confused that every. Good luck with your research..Emily Blalock Gaddis

Posted: 9 Apr 2008 10:07PM GMT
Here is the problem I am having with the Blaylock line.

My great great was Mary Blaylock (spelling is different at different times) married Wiley Clance. They lived in Twiggs County (near the Bibb County line) for at least 40 years.

Since Twiggs County Courthouse had a major fire at the turn of the century, I have no marriage record, or any personal family information of who is Mary parents.

She was born about 1842 and Married around 1860 shortly before her husband Wiley went to war.

If you have any information that I can unlock this mystery, I would be truly grateful.

Posted: 22 Jul 2011 1:16AM GMT
Surnames: Blalock
Hello Emily and all,
The John S. Blalock that married Elizabeth "Betsey" Leverett was a gr-gr-grandfather to me. He came to Meriwether County from Wilkes/Lincoln County in the early 1830's. Census data records his birth as 1808. He married Elizabeth Leverett in Greenville, Meriwether County, in December 1838. The marriage is recorded in the Marriage Book in the courthouse in Greenville, Meriwether County,Georgia. His father was also John Blalock. The father died in 1841 or 1842 in Meriwether County. The John Blalock that died in Wilkes/Lincoln County was a grandfather to John S. Blalock. John Blalock (grandfather and son) were originally from Surrey County, North Carolina. There is a John Blalock that is listed as a Revolutionary War soldier in North Carolina. It is not known if this is the same John Blalock that died in Meriwether County in 1842. There are many men with the name John Blalock from that area.
Take care, Ellen Fisher

Posted: 9 Sep 2011 10:50PM GMT
Surnames: Blalock
John S. Blalock that died in the Civil War was my Gr. Gr. Grandfather & is buried in Cedar Grove United Methodist Church, Stanly County, NC, is was born 1835 & married Sarah Frances Rumage married 1859, had two,Then she married a Russell.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions