Search for content in message boards

Arthur and Sidney Denham

Arthur and Sidney Denham

Posted: 8 Jan 2004 5:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Denham
I am searching for the ancestry of Arthur William or William Arthur Denham and his brother Sidney, both of whom emigrated to the United States between 1850 - 1870. Arthur made many trips back to England, but I have no idea where. Both brothers originally settled in Arkansas, USA then moved about to Oklahoma and Missouri. Any assistance in researching records in England for these two men would be appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Arthur and Sidney Denham

Posted: 9 Jan 2004 1:52AM GMT
Edited: 27 Dec 2004 10:36PM GMT
Eric,
I think I may have found the brothers. Ancestry has a birth entry for Sidney Horace Denham in 1845 in Herefordshire. Also, Arthur Wm Denham born 1843 in Herefordshire. I don't know for sure if these are the people you're researching but it sounds good. Perhaps someone on the Herefordshire board could be of more help.
Good Luck.
Margaret

Posted: 9 Jan 2004 2:32AM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2004 3:26AM GMT
Margaret,

THANK YOU so much for this lead! I sincerely appreciate it! I've been stuck on this leap to England for years. May I ask what source you used to locate these birth records? You mentioned you used Ancestry, so must not know how to locate those records at Ancestry. Also, can you tell me where in England birth records are maintained so that I may follow up on this great lead you've given? I will try the Herefordshire messge board as you suggested. Thank you again! Eric

Posted: 9 Jan 2004 2:47AM GMT
Eric,
I subscribe to Ancestry so I have access to records that are unavailable to the casual user. I don't know which records are free so I'll tell you what I did and you can try it.
Go to Ancestry "home" and click " search records". Enter Ancestor's name: I put in Sidney Denham and England just because I thought Sidney was less common than Arthur. You don't have to fill in the other fields. I then tried to estimate his year of birth. I then entered Arthur and got the same county with a 2 year age difference. More than a coincidence I think.

I have been working on my family history for about 2 years and I know how exciting it can be to finally find a missing piece of the puzzle. I'm more than willing to look up anything you cannot access for yourself.

I have a web address for the PRO (Public Records Office) in the UK, but I'll have to look it up. I'll get back to you soon.
Margaret

Posted: 9 Jan 2004 3:01AM GMT
Eric,
The website is www.pro.gov.uk

There is a lot of information there but you want to go to the birth records. You can download the forms, which is quite handy for those of us living outside the UK. (I'm in Chicago, USA but all my family history is in England and Scotland, hence the subscription to Ancestry.)

There is a small fee to obtain a copy of the certificate but I think it's worth the cost. Also, you can pay with your credit card. I've done this several times in the past and have never had any problems.

Again, let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. Good Luck.
Margaret
Chicago, USA

Posted: 9 Jan 2004 3:21AM GMT
Margaret,

Thank you again!! I am visiting the website you referenced right now and can't seem to find "birth records." It links me to National Statistics. Is there a specific link I need to look for to obtain birth records? I sincerely appreciate your help! I can't believe I may be that much closer to finding the history of my Denham's in England! Eric

Posted: 9 Jan 2004 4:32AM GMT
Eric,
Sorry I gave you the wrong website. It should be
www.familyrecords.gov.uk
go to topics, then BMD, then "how to get one" in blue letters in the middle of the page. Click on England & Wales and then ordering ctfs from abroad. Scroll down til you see the adobe icon to download the forms.
Sorry for the misinformation.
Margaret

Posted: 10 Jan 2004 3:13AM GMT
Margaret - thank you again! I'm very appreciative of your help! I can't believe after all these years I may be able to find "the next generation" in English records. Eric

Arthur William Denham

Posted: 30 Jan 2004 4:09AM GMT
Surnames: Arthur William Denham
Hello,

I received Arthur William Denham's birth certificate from England today. It shows his father was William Himpson Denham, a surgeon, and his mother was Harriet Elizabeth Kimbell, and that he was born in Portsmouth in 1843. Registration district was Weobly, subdistrict was Dilwyn, in Hereford County. Under residence informant/residence information, it looks like it says: "William Himpson Denham, Father, Dorom, Canon Peori". Does that make sense to you? Is it now possible to find this family on the 1851 and 1861 census?

Thank you so much for your help!!
Eric

Re: Arthur William Denham

Posted: 31 Jan 2004 2:28AM GMT
Eric,
I was glad to be of some help. It looks like Fred is a wealth of information. What a great find on the Herefordshire board.
Good luck with your research and contact me if I can be of any more help.
Best wishes,
Margaret
per page

Find a board about a specific topic