Search for content in message boards

James SHEFFIELD, James DOUGLASS

James SHEFFIELD, James DOUGLASS

Posted: 30 Dec 2005 9:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DOUGLASS, SHEFFIELD
Does anyone have access to a will for James SHEFFIELD or James DOUGLASS?

I located the following deed in the Wilkes Co. Deed book D, p. 44: 3 SEP 1798 Between James Douglas and Peter Regan 100 lbs. 100 ac including House and Plantation on Elk Creek, known by name Middle Cain . . . below the fork of Creek . . .
It was signed by James FARMER, Joel REGAN(X), James SHEFFIELD (X), and James DOUGLASS.

I am trying to see if there is a connection to my gggrandparents, Lurena (multiple spellings!) and Unknown SHEFFIELD who later lived in Carter and Johnson Counties, TN. This is my brick wall and I would appreciate any help. Lurena was born around 1829 in Tennessee but listed her parents as being born in NC. She had two children between 1850 and 1860 (William Riley and Martha SHEFFIELD) and had moved to Fayette Co., TN by 1880. She died sometime after 1900 in Tennessee or Arkansas.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Carol Anderson
Fruitland Park, FL

Re: James SHEFFIELD, James DOUGLASS

Posted: 5 Mar 2011 1:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sheffield Shuffield Douglas
Lourana was daughter of John D. Sheffield born 1793 and May Little. John was born in Wilkesboro and later moved to Carter/Johnson Co TN area. There is also a James Sheffield in Carter Co as listed on land deed for December 1797. I believe that the Douglas also moved to same area in TN as there is another land deed between Douglas and James Sheffield in Carter Co TN.

I was told by a fellow researcher who is from Carter Co that the Sheffield clan was from North Carolina. I am 99% certain that all these Sheffield's are related, John D., James in particular.

James born 1774 on N.C. as I stated was in Carter by December 1797 I have copy of land deed. On this land deed there is a Sarah Sheffield as a witness. I believe or have at theory that Sarah was perhaps James' first wife and I believe that she was my 3rd gt grandfather's mother, Whitney Sheffield born March 1801.

James appeared on several court records and on the census for 1830 and 1840 but is not listed on the 1850 census and presumed had died by the time of the census.

I will dig through my documents for more info.

I have a web site with a little info on my connection:
www.GlennSheffield.com

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions