Transcribed from "The Covington Leader" newspaper in Tipton County, TN. Date of Paper was Aug 21, 1941. Transcribed by Sharon Burris.
Boyd Family Reunion Is Held in Virginia
The following article by William B. Hill which appeared in the Memphis Cormmercial Appeal Friday, August 15, is of interest to many residents of Tipton county. The author of the article is a son of Mrs. W. H. Hill, who was before her marriage Miss Lula Baptist, a sister of Judge R. B. Baptist.
Mr. Hill's article written from Boydton, Va., follows:
A reunion of the descendants of Alexander Boyd, founder of the town of Boydton and ancestor of one of the largest family connections of the Roanoke River Valley in Southern Virginia and North Carolina, will be of wide interest in West Tennessee where many members of the family have settled.
The great migration from Roanoke River to the new cotton lands of Tennessee, which took place in the 1830's, carried many settlers from this region to the counties of Madison, Haywood, Hardeman, Fayette, Tipton, Lauderdale and Shelby, in what had been the land of the Chickasaw Indians.
Boyds on Migration
Many of the Boyds were of that migration, as were Reads, who settled near Brownsville in 1837, the Baskervilles, Tarrys, Maclins, Somervells, Harrisons, Fields and many another family. The widely related Taylor family of West Tennessee, which includes many prominent Memphis people, were in that movement.
Alexander Boyd, Sr., called "the Elder," whose 198th birthday will be celebrated Saturday, was a Scotchman, the son of Robert Boyd, a landowner in Dunlop Parish, Ayrshire. He emigrated when a young man, settling in Mecklenburg county, Va., in 1764. He became a wealthy merchant and large landowner, and was a presiding justice of the county at his death in 1801. He married Ann Swepson and they had 11 children and 92 grandchildren.
William Boyd, the eldest son of Alexander, went to Haywood county, Tenn., in 1832, and died two years later. His tombstone has been removed from his grave, but he lies in a cemetery now belonging to the Bond family, near Brownsville. His wife was Frances Bullock, daughter of Col. William Bullock, a Revolutionary leader in Granville county, N. C. William Boyd and his wife had 19 children, most of whom settled in West Tennessee.
Others Went West
Alexander Boyd II, the eldest son of William, went West a year before his father. He traveled to Tennessee with his first cousin, Capt. William Bullock Maclin, who built "Castle Grove," the old Maclin homestead near Stanton, Tenn. Alexander settled in Haywood county, where he died in 1846. Among his children were Mrs. Adolphus Cage of Lauderdale county, Mrs. Baldwin D. Taliaferro of Rutherford, Tenn., and Marcellus Boyd and the late Mrs. Gilmer Winston of Memphis.
Addison Boyd, a brother of Alexander, settled in Madison county and died there in 1831. His widow, who had been Elizabeth Taylor, married Alexander Claiborne, and left many descendants in West Tennessee. Another brother was Col. James Boyd, for many years a large merchant in Brownsville. His old home, one of the oldest in Haywood county, is occupied by his grandson, Bland P. Boyd. Many other descendants are also living in Brownsville.
Settled in Brownsville
Three of the brothers settled in Somerville, Dr. Charles H. Boyd, who married Harriet H. Cage, and Thomas G. Boyd and Whitfield Boyd, merchants there. Thomas married Julia Macon of a widely related West Tennessee family. She was an aunt of John Sneed Williams and Miss Julia Williams of Memphis. Whitfield, whose old home, "Elwood," is said to be still standing in Fayette county, married Lockey Maria Henderson, daughter of Col. Bennett Henderson, who was an early representative of Tennessee in Congress. They had a large family and have many descendants in Tennessee and Arkansas; a daughter, Lucinda, married Littleton H. Perkins of Shelby county, and Charles Shelby Perkins and George T. Perkins of Memphis are of this family.
Maj. Alfred Boyd, who died at Mason, Tenn., in 1883, was another son of William Boyd. He had remained in Virginia, however, until after the Civil War. Until his business was ruined by the war he had been one of the largest merchants of Southern Virginia and a leading citizen of Boydton. His son, Capt. William T. Boyd, who had a distinguished confederate record in Virginia, settled in Covington, Tenn. Among his children are Miss Rosa Boyd, Mrs. Richard Green and Mrs. Egbert McFadden of Covington, Mrs. H. D. Folts of Ripley and Mrs. J. E. Blaydes and Alfred Boyd of Memphis, the latter being the father of Marion S. Boyd, United States district judge.
Built Nutbush Church
Of the daughters of William Boyd, one married Howell L. Read and another married his brother, D. Charles L. Read. They had been large planters in Granville county, N. C. When they came to Haywood county they built Nutbush Presbyterian church. The post office and settlement between Brownsville and Ripley acquired its name from this old church. The descendants of the Reads are a multitude in themselves, in Brownsville, Ripley, Covington and Memphis.
Another branch of the Boyd family lived at Whiteville, descendants of Richard Boyd, third son of Alexander the Elder. Richard S. Boyd, son of Richard, settled in Hardeman, where he died in 1841. His widow married William F. Hughes of Whiteville, and left descendants by both marriages. One of her sons was the late Robert A. Boyd of Grand Junction, Tenn. The Thornton family of Haywood county also are descendants of Richard Boyd through a daughter who married Francis A. Thornton, a large planter of Warren county, N. C. Their son, Dr. Burwell Thornton, settled in Haywood, where he married Lucy Perkins. Among their descendants are Nicholas Thornton, Harbert Thornton and Mrs. Otha Pittman of Brownsville.
Robert Boyd, the second son of Alexander the Elder, had a daughter and several grandchildern who also settled in West Tennessee. The daughter, Mary Frances Boyd, married Dr. Thomas P. Hawkins, a nephew of Governor William Hawkins. They were living in Shelby county in 1835 and they had a daughter, Martha Hopkins Hawkins, who was in 1857, Mrs. Edward Fitzgerald.
The granchildren of Robert Boyd included the late Capt. Alfred Boyd of Redbud Plantation, near Mason, father of Graham S. Boyd of Brownsville, the late Edward C. Boyd and Dr. John J. Boyd of Covington; Mrs. N. Wilson Baptist, Covington, mother of Judge R. B. Baptist; and the late W. Townes Boyd, Covington, long the publisher of the Tipton Weekly Record, father of John Lewis Boyd of Memphis, and of the late Frances Boyd Calhoun, the author of "Miss Minerva and William Green Hill.".
Homes Will Be Open
The reunion will be the occasion of a homecoming for Boydton, and a number of homes of residents will be open to the visitors. Among those of special interest will be the Boyd House, long known as the Boydton Hotel,which was built by Alexander Boyd about 1790, and "Rose Hill," home of N. G. Hutcheson, clerk of the Court of Mecklenburg, which was, in 1836, the dower house of Mrs. Alexander Boyd, Jr. "Xanderwood," residence of the late Alexander Spotswood Boyd, and now the home of his daughter, Mrs. G. H. Finch, will be the general meeting place of visitors. An exhibit of historical relics and family pictures and heirlooms will be on display in the Mecklenburg County Library. A short memorial service will be held at 4:30 o'clock in the old Boyd family cemetery, at the grave of Alexander Boyd, and will followed by a picnic in the Boydton Town Park.
See my webpage of the Index of the Obits in the Covington Leader: http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~sneese/TiptonTN/TheCo...