Search for content in message boards

Michael McMahon County Clare Ireland

Michael McMahon County Clare Ireland

Posted: 25 Nov 2005 9:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McMahon
I'm trying to find immigration for Michael McMahon, his wife Honora Reardon, or any of their children. There son John McMahon was born in 1830 in Ballyduneen - Kilmihil Parish. The first information I have on the son John in the USA is that he is married to Mary Gorman and in 1850 they are in Pennsylvania with three children, all of whom were born in PA. I can only assume that he immigrated sometime in the early 1840's? I have all the information from that point on, if anyone is interested. But anything anyone could tell me about before he entered the USA would be appreciated. Brothers? Sisters? Immigrated into? Immigration Date? Did any of them travel together? Thanks so much!

Re: Michael McMahon County Clare Ireland

Posted: 11 Feb 2006 6:06PM GMT
Searching for information on my great grandmother Margarett McMahon, immigrated 1850. Settled in Philadelphia and married Michael Lynch.

Jeannie (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2006 1:02AM GMT
Hello! We do have a Margaret McMahon, but she married a John Dixon and settled in MN. Our Margaret McMahon was born in MN in 1862. Do you know where in Ireland your Margaret McMahon was from? The Irish had a naming pattern when they named their children, by naming them after their parents, sisters, brothers, ect. I know there are plenty of Margaret McMahons, but it may help you to know where she came from and look for family names there using the Griffiths Valuation records. Those records can be found in many of the historical societies and in some of the Ireland libraries that are available to search for free on the internet. Also there may be a clue on her immigration papers. Hope that helps. Good luck in your quest. Jeannie

Posted: 12 Feb 2006 1:14AM GMT
Edited: 27 Nov 2006 8:39AM GMT
I am afraid I got a few things mixed up in my original post. All of John McMahon and Mary Gormans children were born in Green Isle, Sibley Co. MN. I was apparently thinking about the 'Dixon Griffin' relatives that immigrated over and were in PA for a length of time. Sorry for any confusion.

Kathleen (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2006 2:32PM GMT
My Margaret has been known to add another "t" to the end of her first name. I don't know where she is from and have only recently found the name of the ship she came on and when. A helpful person on a list I belong to found that information for me . She was definitely a famine immigrant as she came in 1850. I've been searching the County Clare web site and did find a Michael McMahon who was evicted from his home in 1849. There are six persons in the household 3 males and 3 females. I'm still in the early stages of my McMahon search. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 12 Feb 2006 9:51PM GMT
Edited: 27 Nov 2006 8:39AM GMT
Hello! My Michael McMahon was born in Ballyduneen County Clare Ireland. (probably around 1790) Parish Church of Kilmihil . Kilmihil is approximately 17 miles southwest of Ennis, County Clare, Ireland. That Michael married Honora Reardon.
They had a daughter named Margaret born about 1821, who married a James Purcell. We know that they were in Ellicottville New York for a time. We think Margarets mother Honora Reardon died there while living with her daughter, and we also think her husband James died there as well. I don't know if there is any connection between your Margaret or ours. Like I said earlier, there were PLENTY of Margaret McMahons born in County Clare. But it is worth a shot checking it out. It would be helpful if you knew what Margarets brothers and sisters names were. Our Margarets brothers and sisters name were: John, Simon, Patrick, Thomas, and sister Jane, all born between 1811 and 1830. Good luck in your quest! Jeannie

Posted: 25 Jul 2009 2:52PM GMT
Surnames: McMahon, Purcell, Lee, McGrann
Margaret McMahon Purcell did live until the death of her husband James in Ellicottville, NY. She moved to Green Isle, MN with her son Charles, where she lived her remaining days and is burried there (St. Brendan's). If you wish to swap info email John8530@aol.com. I am related to the Purcells though my stepmother.

Posted: 25 Jul 2009 2:58PM GMT
I have info on both of these families. willing to share. Contact me John8530@aol.com. These families were part of the first Irish community in Minnesota and by 1900 so many had intermarried that all familied were related in someway.

Posted: 10 Nov 2011 4:12PM GMT
Jeannie:

My GGG-Grandparents were Michael & Honora (Reardon) McMahon. I have a condsiderable amouont of information on this family, particularly after they settled in Green Isle, Minnesota. Would be interested in hearing from you on the information that you have acquired.

Sincerely:

Kim Callahan

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 4:18AM GMT
Surnames: McMahon
Hello, I am married to Dennis Michael Twiss, whose mother is a McMahon. Her father Francis McMahon was born in Green Isle MN, and his father was John McMahon, and grandfather was Simon McMahon who came from Ballyduneen. I would be very happy to share what little I know. Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions