Search for content in message boards

Brown Ancestors

Brown Ancestors

Posted: 25 Jan 2002 4:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Aug 2002 9:44PM GMT
Surnames: BROWN, JOHNSON, CLARK, WINFIELD, MCKEE, SHERARD
Is there anyone looking for their Brown ancestors in Neshoba Co.? I am trying to find out more about Ransom H. Brown. He probably (I have no absolute proof) was my great, great grandfather. He was listed on the 1860 Neshoba Co. census with wife, Jane, and several children, some from his first marriage to Mariah Lamar, and at least one child from his marriage to Jane (Oliver?) by the name of Oliver H. Brown. My great grandmother, Mary Undine Brown was not listed with his family, since she had already married, but was living right next door. Mary Undine married my great grandfather, Joseph Abner Johnson in Pontotoc Co., MS in 1858. I truly believe Mary Undine's father was Ransom H. Brown. Checking back into Alabama records, I found Ransom H. Brown on the 1850 DeKalb Co. AL census, with wife Mariah and several children, including Mary (and the Mary listed was the right age). The other children from that first marriage were Frances, Sarah, William, James, and Thomas - the same children, by the way, that were listed in DeKalb Co.

Re: Brown Ancestors

Posted: 8 Mar 2002 11:09PM GMT
Edited: 20 May 2002 6:27PM GMT
I'm looking for my Brown ancestors in the Neshoba Co. area. I did not recognize any of your names though. I only have a couple names to go by so far. My ggrandmother was Julie Ann Brown who married Andrew Jackson Wooten. Julie's parents are supposedly Billy Charles Brown and Annie (no last name). This is supplied by memory of family members so I have no documentation. Have you run across these names?

Thanks, Renee Cockerill

Posted: 9 Mar 2002 12:16PM GMT
Surnames: Johnson, Brown, Clark, Winfield, Sherard, Thomas, Gilbert
Renee, I have no knowledge of those particular names, but that doesn't mean that they're not connected in some way. I believe we used to correspond. I don't know if you remember me or not. I used to live in Mississippi, but then moved to the New England states. (That's why it's so hard for me to do any research). My Johnson family moved to Neshoba Co. from the Pontotoc, MS area. Well, we'll keep looking and trying! Sorry, I can't help.

Posted: 9 Mar 2002 1:25PM GMT
Thanks for responding. If they were all in that area, we bound to be connected at some point. I'm just getting back into my research and it's almost like starting over. I've got to remember where I got most of my info from. I moved from Mississippi and now live in the New England (Rhode Island) states too. That's a coincidence. Good luck in your research.

Renee Cockerill

Posted: 13 Mar 2002 6:54PM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Daniel,
i saw where you are looking for Brown and Daniels family memebers in or near Neshoba MS. Do you have the first names thanks.

Posted: 13 Mar 2002 8:09PM GMT
I didn't get very far on the Brown names. I hit a brick wall instantly. My grandmother was Annie Mae Wooten Coats. Her parents were Andrew Jackson Wooten and Julie Ann Brown. They were married on 2/13/1878 in Newton, MS. Julie Ann Brown was the daughter of Billy Brown and Annie. I do not have Annie's maiden name. This is as far as I have gotten. Do these sound familiar to you?

Thanks, Renee Cockerill

Posted: 13 Mar 2002 11:01PM GMT
Edited: 14 Mar 2004 3:19PM GMT
no, i am researching Howell Benjamin Brown and Frances Daniel Brown. Also, Carter in alabama

Posted: 11 Apr 2002 10:46PM GMT
Surnames: Brown/Johnson/Clark/Winfield/Sherard/McKee
Do you know who Frances D. Brown's parents were? Was she ever married to an Ambrose Carter that you know of? My great grandmother's sister, Frances, I believe, was married in 1861 to an Ambrose Carter. She must have gone back to Pontotoc to marry him, for that's where their marriage record is, even though she appears on the 1860 Neshoba Co. census with her father, Ransom H. Brown, and the rest of the family.

Posted: 12 Apr 2002 2:35AM GMT
Edited: 14 Mar 2004 3:19PM GMT
no that's not her parents, but you will find an Ambrose Carter in Fayette Co, TN. i don't know if they're connected, but it's an odd name. Frances' parents were Andrew Jackson Daniel and Nancy Payne. They moved to Sunflower Co, MS in 1882.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions