Search for content in message boards

looking for great-grandfather information

looking for great-grandfather information

Posted: 29 Dec 2004 7:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to find out any information on my great grandfather, I know his name is Frank Lawrence
and that he lived in Rusk county, Friendship area, I believe his wife was Mary or May, have two different stories on this, and maybe six children, Avery, Frieda, Vernice, Carl, Bessie, just to name a few. I'd like to know where they are buried, the last census shows them in Ladysmith City. Any help from anybody that may have known them or family members would be apprieciated. May or Mary maiden name is believed to be Chase.

Re: looking for great-grandfather information

Posted: 29 Mar 2008 11:01PM GMT
Surnames: Lawrence
I realize this is over a three year old post, but I do have a little information for you...

I've found that the 1930 census shows Frank & Mary living in Cook County, Illinois with their daughter Freida and her husband Chester DeMare. I do not know where he is buried. I have been looking for this information myself, as he is my great-grandfather too. Avery was my grandfather.

Posted: 30 Mar 2008 2:07AM GMT
Hi,
I also have this information. I have copies of Avery's application for SS so I have parents names. I have looked in friendship as that is about where Chet and Frieda lived.
Last known address was in IL. Annabel had given me names of brothers and sisters of Avery, and I am finding some of them. But everyone's memory is bad, cause nobody remembers much. Which is really frustrating. the 1940 census will be released in 2010. Every ten years. There were 6 brothers and sisters. Not all stayed in WI. on grandpa' app. he has his mothers name listed as May Chase, Not the Mary that seems to be listed on everything else. I do believe I know who you are, your brother would be Paul. Your dad was Bob.
Your Mom is my aunt. If you want to know anything that I might have already, I'd be glad to share.

Posted: 30 Mar 2008 12:59PM GMT
I was told that May became very ill in the early to mid 40s - they were back in the Ladysmith area at the time. My understanding is that she died soon afterward. I believe they're connected to Hope Lutheran Church in Ladysmith. According to church records, Freida & Bessie were confirmed there on June 12, 1927.

I believe Chet & Freida are buried in Cornell, WI. I recall the long ride north to attend their 50th wedding anniversary in the late '70s.

Posted: 31 Mar 2008 2:15PM GMT
You seem to have a lot of information about Frank Lawrence and Mary/May Chase. I have been trying so long to get information from aunts and uncles and have not received anything. So what I find I can only guess at, and in doing this you really don't want to guess. So I was wondering if your Mom had given you alot of the information or if she just gave you names? I have ordered copies of Frank Lawrence's birth certificate and also of the marriage licesne of Frank and Mary(Chase), surprise they were married on Dec. 25. Tracing the Lawrence line is difficult as nobody really remembers names anymore. So I started with the copies of the SS numbers, as they list parents names. Would you be willing to share what you have on the Lawrence side.
Thankyou
Wanda Lauer

Posted: 4 Apr 2008 1:02AM GMT
My mother hasn't given me much information, she's as surprised as anyone how much I'm finding on the intranet.

A lot of my information is using the names I know along with a period of time and just trying to get a hit. For example:

I did a search on "Franklin Lawrence", not "Frank", figuring in his youth his parents might have used the longer form of his name. I came across a Franklin Lawrence (age 12) living in the Cady township in St. Croix county in 1880. That's the same township Avery Lawrence and family were living in around 1905. I'm assuming this is the "Frank" I'm looking for, just due to location and proximity of a future event. This "Franklin Lawrence" also had two younger siblings at that time - a sister named Laura and a brother named Charley.

Further research of this individual by the name "Franklin Lawrence" shows he was living in Iowa in 1870 (at an approximate age of 2 - another strong indicator as Frank D. Lawrence was born around 1869) with parents by the name Jasper and Almira. These two eventually settled in the Spring Valley area and were last living there in the 1910 census. Coincidently, Spring Valley is where Avery was born. Again, all guesses on my part, but the puzzle seems to be coming together.

The Chase side I did the same, and came up with May's parents - Ira B. and Kate E. (I have no idea what her maiden name was). Kate was from England, just like May indicated in many of her Census forms throughout the years - again I'm guessing. I inquired of these two individuals with some churches in Ladysmith, but have heard nothing back.

Futher back than that I haven't tried to go, as the trail gets a lot colder.

Good luck with your search. I know guessing is never the way to go, but sometimes you need a little faith to get over the next hurdle.

Stephen Peachey

Posted: 4 Apr 2008 5:29PM GMT
I agree, guessing is some times all you can do to get thru some of the hurdles out there. I have order some records that I found, that didn't seem to be out there before. One being the marriage record, if It has the names you have on it I will let you know. The other record was a birth certificate that one not sure if it is the right Lawrence,But anything I find out I will forward info to ya. I like having a hard copy of things. A little hard to find at times but the information you get at times is well worth the little bit it cost.

Posted: 31 Aug 2011 3:59AM GMT
Freda Demars (Lawrence) was my grandma and Frank Lawrence was her father. Frank lived with Freda and CHester in Cornell when my mother was a kid. Frank lived in a guest house on the property after Mary died. Frank did live in Ladysmith at one time.

Posted: 31 Aug 2011 9:02AM GMT
Hi, I was wondering if you have any pictures of them. I have some pictures of Chester and Freda at My dad's house, I have never seen any pictures of Frank or Mary. I would love to know who there kids were and really what they look liked. If you are willing to share any pictures with me. My dad hardly remembers anything on the lawrence side. so it has been hard for me to get any information. It is like they didn't exist. So I wonder where I came from since I know no one. strange.

Posted: 31 Aug 2011 4:35PM GMT
I do not have photos of Frank or Mary, but some of Chet and Freda. How is your father related to Frank and what is his name?

My mom tells the story of Frank chasing her and her siblings with his cane and they would hide under the bed. Sounds like he was a grumpy old man and the kids found pleasure in teasing him. Freda cooked his meals daily and would take them out back to the small guess house Chet built for Frank. My mom said Frank wasn't quite right in his mind (whatever that means)and Freda didn't trust him in the house with her three daughters; therefore, that's why he lived in a separate house on the property. My mom has Alzheimers and so did her mother, Freda. I'm wondering if Frank had it too but no one understood the symptoms of the disease in those days.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic