Search for content in message boards

Captain Patrick C Masterson

Posted: 4 Feb 2011 4:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Costain, Masterson.
Hello trying to find what became of this gent who had fought well for his Irish Regiment, the 87th foot.
Born in Roscommon around 1795 and died in 1830, leaving a widow, and children.
Have found one child after moving to London, and being able to keep herself and children in some style.
She married a french Count De Costain.

Re: Captain Patrick C Masterson

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 6:32AM GMT
There is a military q & a found by googling: "Milgenire"

All British Army records are found at the National Archives Kew but they have given permission for a paywebsite to have records on line. They may also be available at the PRONI in Belfast. I'm assuming you have googled the 87th. Foot already.

There are birth records on line for Fermanagh but not till civil registration of 1864 and marriages 1846 but earlier records exist but unreadable. There is a variety of
information on these websites:

www.censusfinder.com United kingdom+Ireland+Fermanagh
www.igp-web.com + Fermanagh (these maybe of assistance for the early records for Fermanagh.

Annette Code

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 11:51AM GMT
Thanks Annette have already googled the 87th and every thing I can imagine, have even tried the Royals Museum, but they wanted £50 pounds before doing anything, lol, got to be kidding me!
Problem is I do not know where in Ireland Patrick settled, only that he was born in Roscommon, so presume he went back there to retire.

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 2:48PM GMT
I can't give you the name on the message board but there are memorial inscriptions for most of the counties on a UK website. You can contact me for the name. You would have to go through all the counties though and perhaps find nothing?
At least the name Masterson is different and only 48 of them in Ireland for the Griffith Valuations - a bit too late for you but there are Patrick's there, a son perhaps?
They are a bit of all over, but no Patrick in Roscommon. www.askaboutireland.ie

The only record I can think of that might capture someone
before 1830 is the Tithe's held at the National Archives in Dublin. They are not searchable online but you do find occasional records for them.You would certainly need a Parish before embarking on that as they are not digitized and you would need to scroll through tons of microfilm.

Annette
ps my mum loved Dorset if that is where you are from

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 5:37PM GMT
Surnames: Masterman
Yes born and raised here, now live in a town called Wimborne, quite and out of step with the world, except the petrol prices lol.
Know Patrick BDM's exsist as I have found someone who has them. But not willing to reveal them. But don't mind as finding them myself might tell me another story.

Did put up a message board for the 87th Regiment that was his.
But didn't get very far.

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 8:31PM GMT
I don't need any information as not related. The fellows at Milgenire I found to be very helpful although my inquiry was for a friend. Some ex military and one serving fellow
found information for her. Just lucky I guess.

My mother was born in Welwyn Garden City, myself in Hatfield, now living in Canada. I watch all the Brit shows and the realestate ones and all the beautiful properties in those wonderful 'out of step places'.

Hope you are successful.

AC

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 6:15PM GMT
Surnames: Masterson, Nolan, Alligaier
Hello Dorset. There is a 52 page book by James R Masterson entitled "A Branch of the Masterson Family; concerning Notes
regarding Patrick Campbell Masterson and his wife Mary (Smith) and their descendants". Not the exact wording, but close enough. The only place that may have a copy is (believe it or not) The Grand Rapids Library in Grand Rapids Michigan, USA. That tidbit from The National Library of Congress (Apr 2013). I am a Masterson descendant via gggrandfather, Fenian, Thomas P. Masterson b. Dublin 1828 d. NYC aft 1895 email if u want robinpenelope@hotmail.com

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 7:53PM GMT
Hi, Many thanks for this bit of data, it is a pity the book can only be found in the States, as it is a piece of English, and Irish history.
Not connected to this family, just trying to learn more about the gent, and what became of him? Did you know he sold his commission and retired from the Army.
Regards Tim.

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 9:46PM GMT
Surnames: Masterson
Hi Tim,
Though I am crazy busy with new cousin's I WILL find this book and somehow get it into a place where it can be seen by all. The reason it's in the states is that the author James R Masterson is from a branch of Mastersons who emigrated to the southeastern and mid-western parts of the US. He may be part of the "Bat" Masterson crowd and he has written quite a few books on these areas of the country. Watch for it. I'll try and let those interested in Patrick and his maybe descendant VC winner James Edward Ignatius Masterson. That is one of my projects (which I'm dragging terribly with) as both of them may be connected to my branch. Stay Tuned. I won't lose you as I've been copying your posted info to my Mastersons on the other side of the pond for a while. If you have any other info on Patrick let me know. I'll do the same (and I think I've got stuff for Patrick I've not had time to look at).It will help. Robin

Posted: 24 Apr 2013 6:40PM GMT
Hi hope not, and good luck, I know how hard things like this can be, and how tough things can get.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic