Search for content in message boards

Old Trinity Church Cemetery Charleston, South Carolina

Old Trinity Church Cemetery Charleston, South Carolina

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 3:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know what happened to the graves and remains in the Old Trinity Church Cemetery when the church sold the property at Maiden Lane and Hasell Street and moved to Meeting Street? I am looking for information or records regarding the old cemetery at that location. My great great grandmother Melissa Herbert was originally laid to rest there in 1883 and her name is on the plaque in the new church. Any information would be helpful.

Re: Old Trinity Church Cemetery Charleston, South Carolina

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 5:13PM GMT
You might try contacting the Charleston South Carolina Historical Society for information. Their number is:
843-723-3225. They are also located on Meeting St. Hope this helps!

Posted: 24 Aug 2013 8:54PM GMT
Thank you for the suggestion. I did email the church directly and got some information but nothing authoritative. The current pastor at the church seems to think that the headstones were removed but not the remains themselves.

I have also emailed the SCHS in Charleston. Will let you know if I find out any information.

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 8:39PM GMT
Surnames: Cole
This is the reply from the Senior Archivist at the SCHS in Charleston:

According to a book written by Yvette Richardson Guy and published in 1991 (SCHS call # 237.G89T751991), a committee was formed in 1959 to begin the process of removing old headstones from the Hasell/Maiden graveyard. In 1963, Rev. Joel E. Cannon presided over a special meeting of the Quarterly Conference and passed the following resolution:

“RESOLVED: that the Trustees of Trinity United Methodist Church be directed to abandon the old graveyard on Hasell street and Maiden Lane in which there have been no burials in about 50 years, and that the grave stones and monuments be removed from the lot and those in good condition be placed under Trinity Church Building or on the grounds there, and that the broken stones be disposed of . . . “

The church proceeded to sell that property to a Robert E. Molony in 1963.

According to Guy, “there are no records referring to the fate of any human remains in the cemetery. However, David S. Spell, a member of the committee dealing with the old cemetery, recalled that the SC Health Department conducted test drills on the burial sites and no remains were found. The state concluded that the bodies had decomposed completely.”

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 4:05PM GMT
How interesting! It seems that something should have remained like clothing or jewelry. It is pretty wet there so maybe that's what happens. Thanks for the info.

Posted: 18 Oct 2013 12:34AM GMT
A cousin of mine inquired about our ancestor Charles Johns, who is buried there. Apparently it is now a parking lot. We don't know where the headstone went. But the Avery Institute has the actual church records. The church changed hands a few times, and it became a black church at one point, when the records were turned over to the Avery Institute at the College of Charleston, they gave them all the records.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic