Search for content in message boards

SPRATLEY

SPRATLEY

Posted: 15 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Jun 2001 1:57AM GMT
Surnames: Spratley, Cocke, Hamlin, Ruffin, Faulcon, Shackelford, Carsley, Wheadon
John SPRATLEY first appears in 1704 in James City Co. and the family moved between Surry Co. and James City where they owned plantations close to Archer's Hope, Cypress Swamp and Blackwater Swamp. They intermarried with the COCKE, HAMLIN, CARSLEY, SHACKELFORD, WHEADON, RUFFIN and FAULCON families, among others. I have wills and deeds for many of the family and need some help connecting all the different branches that keep appearing. My direct line, Albert G. SPRATLEY and Lavinia WHEADON, ended up in Smithfield, Isle of Wight Co. by 1850 where their children then disappeared.
Thank you for any help on this one.

Ruffin/Hamlin

Pat Gaines (View posts)
Posted: 11 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
While looking for my Ruffins in Surry co. I found this book "Tidewater VA Families" by Virginia lee Hutcheson Davis, Gene.Publ.co. It has info on the Ruffin & Hamlin families. It is very well documented.

Happy Huntin....Pat Gaines

Re: SPRATLEY, JONES, OSBORNE

imani (View posts)
Posted: 21 Oct 2001 6:56PM GMT
Surnames: Jones, Osborne, Spratley, Price, Pierce, Lankford, etc.
My grandfather surname is Jones and the Spratley name is in the same county you mentioned surrounding Surry County, VA. Some Spratley members married into my family. Further, my grandfather and grandmother are from Surry County. I don't have much information re either's past, but possibly that their grandparents were slaves or free slaves.

spratley, john w & junius in leavenworth, ks

Posted: 31 Dec 2001 5:53AM GMT
Surnames: spratley
john w spratley arrived in leavenworth, ks in apx 1859 junius came after civil war both were orphaned sons of junius nicholas spratley from surrey county, va. junius was i believe in the third calvary virginia. looking for a connection back to virginia family, possibly spratley plantation.

Re: spratley, john w & junius in leavenworth, ks

Sue Perrault (View posts)
Posted: 31 Dec 2001 6:44AM GMT
Surnames: Spratley, Carsley, Dillard
Mark,
I have John W. and Junius Spratley in my database but as cousins rather than brothers. My John W. was the son of John Nicholas Spratley and Sally Hartwell Carsley and was born 1834 in Surry Co., VA. John Nicholas died 1839. Junius Spratley is the son of Edwin Thomas Spratley and Cornelia Harmon Dillard and was born ca. 1837 in Surry Co. His father Edwin Thomas Spratley died 1843. I've assumed at this point that these were the two who lived in Leavenworth KS because of the ages on the census and their occupations. I have no actual proof and they've both been a sticking point in my research.
I have information on both families if you'd like it. You can contact me at: perrault@blarg.net

Re: SPRATLEY

Posted: 17 Aug 2002 6:24PM GMT
Surnames: Wheadon
concerning your line of Spratleys in Virginia, did your Wheadons who intermarried with your line end up in North Carolina? That is where the Wheadons I am looking for are, specifically, Hanna Wheaton Wheadon (late 1700s). thank you. susan prince

Susan Perrault (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2002 2:34AM GMT
I wouldn't doubt that Wheadon's moved from Surry Co., Virginia to North Carolina because a lot of families from the area did end up there but I haven't been able to trace them. This family is quite an enigma. I can't find them. I have what appears to be one line of Wheadons living in Isle of Wight Co. This is the family of John Jennings Wheadon. I've been able to trace one apparent son, James W. Wheadon, who was listed as co-owner of property with John Jennings Wheadon (dec'd) in 1815 Isle of Wight. James then appears in Surry Co. by 1820.
At this point I haven't been able to prove Lavinia Wheadon Spratley was the daughter of James W. Wheadon. I haven't found any siblings for James W. or John Jennings Wheadon. I've found records of no other Wheadons during this time in either county so I have suspected that others had left the area.
In what county in NC have you come across Wheadons?

susan prince (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2002 3:15PM GMT
Surnames: Wheadon, Wheaton, Brooks
thanks for your reply. The Wheadon(Wheaton) family that I am interested in were in Craven or Duplin County, NC.

Re: Ruffin/Hamlin

Posted: 25 Jun 2010 6:51AM GMT
My grandfather was lee ruffin of dendron &wakefield,surry county, va.

Posted: 18 Nov 2010 5:55AM GMT
Surnames: Ruffin, Hamlin
Hi,
My grandfather was Lee Ruffin and I believe we were related to a Deborah Sprately. I think we were cousins. If you have any info please contact me. My grandparents lived in Wakefield, Va, Surry/Sussex County.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions