Search for content in message boards

Robert McNair and Mary Polly Randolph McNair

Robert McNair and Mary Polly Randolph McNair

Louise Comfort Dewitt (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2003 9:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thompson, Pittman, Stephens, McNair,Brandon ,Duncan, shippey
Mel, my message was returned that I sent to you
I have confirmed the following children of this couple that settled in Hinds Co. Ms.
1.Lorenzo Dow McNair 1807
2.Louisa " 1809-George W, Osborne
3.Eliza " 1818-Edward Smith
4.Gustava " 1819-Wm Stephens/Stevens
5. Elizabeth " 1822-Jacob Booker Hammond
Thru the 1880 census of Hinds Co. Ms and the cemetery records of Hinds Co. Ms.
I believe you stated that there were 10 children.I assume not all of them settled in Hinds Co. Ms.
I am trying to determine if Elizabeth Yancy Stephens who was born Feb 8, 1847 in Ms is the daughter of Wm and Gustava McNair Stephens/Stevens.
Elizabeth married Albert Galeton Pittman Aug 11, 1872 .He was born 1849 in Hinds Co. the son of Dewitt Pittman and his wife Louisa Thompson Pittman.
I am from Rankin and Hinds Co. Ms
Will be looking forward to hearing from you.
Louise comfort Dewitt

Re: Robert McNair and Mary Polly Randolph McNair

M.A. Worrell (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2003 12:06AM GMT
Surnames: McNair Randolph Russell
Hi! I emailed a response, but I'll post Robert and Polly's children here, too, in case anyone else is interested. Here is what I know. If anyone can add or correct anything, or if you would like more info, just let me know. Thanks! :o)

Robert McNair b. April 1778 in Tenn. or Ireland (census says TN) d. Oct. 1855, m. 1805 in Abbeville District, SC, to Mary Nicholas "Polly" Randolph b. 1784 Virginia d. Oct. 1854 Abbeville District. Their children are:

1. Lorenzo Dow McNair b. Oct 5, 1807, Abbeville District, SC, d. Oct. 24, 1878 Hinds County, MS, m. Feb. 4, 1835 Eliza Elianor Russell in Valley Creek, Dallas County, AL.

2. Louisa McNair b. June 26, 1809, Abbeville SC, d. July 31, 1887 Lebanon, Hinds County, MS, m. 1st George Washington Osborn in Abbeville, m. 2nd George Winkfield Prince.

3. Thomas Jefferson McNair, b. 1811 Abbeville, d. in Abbeville.

4. Alfred Randolph McNair, b. 1813 Abbeville, d. 1849 Abbeville. He was a doctor and his family stayed in Abbeville where he had a practice, but he also appears in Alabama with his brother (or so I've been told, haven't followed that up myself)

5. Lucinda Ellen McNair b. abt. 1815 Abbeville, d. Oct. 23, 1878 Hinds County, MS, m. Charles Edward Allen.

6. Sarah "Sally" McNair b. Dec. 12, 1817 Abbeville, d. Nov. 12, 1878 Hinds County, MS, m. 1833 James Hamilton of SC.

7. Eliza McNair b. Dec. 27, 1818 Abbeville, d. March 12, 1909 Hinds County, MS, m. abt. 1843 Edward Smith, Abbeville.

8. Gustava McNair, b. Feb. 27, 1819 Abbeville, d. July 9, 1879 Hinds County, MS, m. Mr. Stephens.

9. James Berry McNair, b. Jan. 16, 1821 Abbeville, d. Sept. 12, 1869 Hinds County, MS, m. Aug. 17, 1848 Susan Slater.

10. Elizabeth McNair, b. Oct. 4, 1822 Abbeville, d. May 31, 1862, Hinds County, MS, m. 1st J. Booker Hammond 1844 Abbeville, m. 2nd Mr. Clark.

J. A. Henley (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jan 2004 9:13AM GMT
Just wanted to say thanks for the info, I'm just getting started with some research my Great Aunt started years ago. I was wondering if anyone had information of either Robert McNair's or Polly Randolph's orgins, I'd appreciate it! If anyone out there is interested in what became of Lorenzo Dow McNair (my great-great-great grandfather) and the lineage thereafter, I've got the goods so to speak.

M.A. Worrell (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jan 2004 7:36PM GMT
Surnames: McNair Randolph
I have a good bit of info on Polly Randolph's family. She was the daughter of Edmund Randolph. I am also a descendent of Lorenzo Dow McNair. Feel free to email me if you would like a text file of my Randolph info.

I haven't managed to track down Robert McNair's family yet. I know there have been several people in the family over the years who have tried to find his connections but as far as I know no one's had much success yet.

Posted: 1 Feb 2004 5:21PM GMT
Edited: 15 Feb 2004 11:56PM GMT
Surnames: McNair, Williams, Jordan, Granger
you can try this library address: http://zsr.wfu.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Title&SEQ=20....

Do copy and paste to your browser. there are others.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic