Search for content in message boards

CROSBY Richard born 1799 in Dublin perhaps

CROSBY Richard born 1799 in Dublin perhaps

Posted: 23 Jan 2003 6:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Jun 2004 3:29AM GMT
Richard CROSBY and family were living in Britain St Dublin in 1849. Richard was Tried in Dublin city in 24/01/1843 for theft and was transported to Hobart Australia.

Would like to find Richard's birth and marriage. Can anyone help?

Many thanks
Judith in Australia

Re: CROSBY Richard born 1799 in Dublin perhaps

Posted: 11 Jun 2012 1:47AM GMT
Greetings Judith. Did you ever get any information on Richard Crosby? My g.g.grandfather Thomas Crosby was born c 1801 (don't know where) and had a sail and rope works in Dublin and thats where he died in 1882. He had 4 children - Eliza Jane (my g.grandmother - b. 1836) John E., Thomas Richard and James Joseph (came to Victoria late 19th century - b. Dublin c 1842). Are Richard and Thomas brothers ? Bill Lanigan. Melbourne.

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 1:43AM GMT
Hi Bill,
Unfortunately the answer is no. Still don't know anything about his life in Ireland. The children of William who , although starting off in Hobart (they were allowed to come free to join him) seem to have ended up in NSW. Richard was from Navan County Meath and his wife Ann was from West Meath. She was living in Britain St Dublin when they sailed on the 'Ann Thompson' for Hobart. I have to admit that Irish research is a bit difficult so I have balked at really tackling it head on.
Someone must have been helping Ann when Richard left, so perhaps there were relatives in the area. Where was Thomas' rope works?

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 10:24AM GMT
Business was Thomas Crosby & Son at North Wall Quay,(1850/60) Sir John Rogerson Quay(1860 on) and Brunswick St (all Dublin) at different times and lived in Amiens Street (have been in that house). Just looked on Google map for Britain Street - nearest reference is Britain Quay (on the River Liffey) which is a continuation of Sir John Rogerson Quay(North Wall Quay is diagonally opposite). Connections ??? Irish research is haard work. Bill.

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 10:54AM GMT
Gt. Britain Street is the old name for what is now Parnell Street in Dublin North City. It was renamed in the 1890s.

Shane

Posted: 18 Jun 2012 11:22PM GMT
You may already have seen on irishgenealogy.ie the baptisms of 4 Crosby/Crosbie children in Dublin 1830's to Richard Crosby and Anne Fagan.
Good luck!

Posted: 20 Jun 2012 6:54AM GMT
Thanks for that site. I hadn't found it but have now found the baptisms. Ann had children Margaret, William Mary ann and a Richard with her when she came to Hobart so as there is a William among the four am pretty sure that is them.

Many thanks indeed for your help.

Cheers
Judith

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 9:21AM GMT
Hi Bill. Am looking for relatives of James Joseph CROSBY died Camperdown 1918.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 4:33AM GMT
I have a James Joseph Crosby born 1854 died 1938 in Randwick NSW. His father was William Crosby, mother Ann Scully. He married Ellen Hughs I believe.

Could this be the man you are looking for?

Judith MacGregor

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 4:55AM GMT
Thanks Judith. This James Joseph Crosby was born 1841-1842 in Dublin, son of Captain Thomas Crosby (all according to his obituary). James married Catherine and they had one son, Thomas Redmond Crosby. James and Catherine both died in Camperdown, Victoria, in 1918 and 1921 respectively.
Regards
Lee
per page

Find a board about a specific topic