Search for content in message boards

Descendants of Jean Louis of the Congo plan reunion

Descendants of Jean Louis of the Congo plan reunion

Posted: 9 Jun 2002 1:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
If anyone is researching the Jean Louis family from Southwest Louisiana and allied families, you may be a descendant of Jean Louis of the Congo. The Descendants of Jean Louis of the Congo are planning their first family reunion Labor Day Weekend in Lafayette, LA.
Who was Jean Louis of the Congo you say? He was the progenitor of the JEAN LOUIS (also spelled John Louis/ Jeanlouis/ Johnloius and Johnlewis) family. He was the slave of Simon Broussard in Lafayette Parish prior to 1790. Upon Simon Broussard's death, his son Jean Baptist Broussard freed Jean Louis circa 1792 for good and faithful service. Jean Louis purchased 648 acres of land in Lafayette Parish. He purchased the freedom of his three daughters Mary, Mary Louis and Genevive. In Jean Louis' will, he requested that his daughters purchase the freedom of his only son named Jean Louis (called Jean Louis the slave for simplicity), owned by Edouard Armand Broussard. Upon Jean Louis of the Congo's death in 1832, his church death record stated that he was a native of the Congo. His estate was never settled and probably lost during legal battles.

The descendants of Jean Louis of the Congo married into the GUIDRY, DeCLOUET, LeBLANC, SENETTE, BROUSSARD, LeMELLE, SHAY, BARNABE, BABIN, MARTEL, PICKETT, MOUTON, COLAS, NARCISSE, COMEAU, DeCUIR, HENRY, TRAHAN, GOODBEER, HEBERT, BENJAMIN, MIRE, HALPHEN, MERCIER, SAM, ALLEN, LOUIS, MARTINE, ORPHEE, CHARLES, LAURENCE, LaCOUR, GABRIEL, HARDY, LeDE, JEFFERSON, MICHEL, MITCHEL, GREEN, BOUTTE, and RAYNE families to name only a few. These families lived in Lafayette, Scott, Youngsville, Broussard, Breaux Bridge, St Martinville, Grand Coteau, Sunset, Loreauville and New Iberia as well as other towns in Louisiana.

If one knows they are related to families from these areas with the above mentioned surnames, then you are probably a descendant of Jean Louis of the Congo. So sign up for the reunion to meet your long lost cousines et cousins. It will be the first time the free side and the former enslaved sides of the family will be reunited for a friendly family gathering.

Please contact Cherryl Forbes Montgomery for aditional information and details at CherrylM@AOL.com

Re: Descendants of Jean Louis of the Congo plan reunion

Posted: 29 Dec 2002 6:58AM GMT
My grandfarthers name was Eugene Jean Lewis of Jeanerette, La. He passed 10/13/02. His farther was a Preacher De'VaCu Jeanlewis, mother Fannie Jean Lewis. Family land in NecoTown. Family still remains in Jeanerette, Hubbertville(Reshads, Brousards) NewIberia.............wondering if we may be related. Some of his living childrens name are Martha Jean Lewis(new Iberia), David Jeanlewis(Jeanerette) and a host of others...Please respond if any of this information rings a bell

Posted: 29 Dec 2002 2:05PM GMT
Sorry, none of the names ring a bell. BUT...I believe that most if not all of the JeanLouises are related. I know that Jean Louis of the Congo had a grandson that lived in New Iberia, perhaps these people are descended from him.

Cherryl

Cherry (View posts)
Posted: 11 Aug 2003 5:51PM GMT
My Name is Linda Moss and I live in Oakland, California. I beleive there may be some links in my family to Jean Louis of the Congo. My grandmother on my father's side was a Cola. Her name was Marie Sidonie Cola. She married Joachim Moss. Her parents were Heleine (Elene) DonLouis and Edward Cola. I was in Lafayette in July and was able to make contact with some other Cola cousins who provided me with more information. I have been trying to more information. I may not be able to make the reunion this time but would love to share information and help in anyway.. Please let me know what I can do. I have attached a picture of my grandmother. Thanks.
Attachments:

Posted: 12 Aug 2003 7:41PM GMT
Hello Cousine Linda,
You are indeed a cousin and a descendant of JeanLouis of the Congo. My name is Cherryl and I was on the planning committee for the reunion. Please contact me at my email address. There are a lot of questions I would like to ask. I got a lot of information from Cora Cola Ned in Lafayette on the family but I need to follow up with her on some details. The way her daughter wrote up the history was kind of confusing to me. We can help each other with the family.

CherrylM@AOL.com

Posted: 15 Aug 2003 3:04AM GMT
Linda, please contact me at my email address as soon as possible. I have family information and want to invite you to our family website.

CherrylM@AOL.com

Posted: 30 Mar 2008 9:41PM GMT
Surnames: Decuir, Nereaux, Lescene, Lemons
Hi Cheryl,

This is very interesting info about Jean Louis of the Congo. I'm not sure how this relates to my family, but there may be a connection.

My 2x great-grandfather was Albert Girard Decuir born abt 1871 in New Iberia or in Plaquemine (sp?). His wife was Liese Nereaux. They had six children: Robert, Haydee, Jane, Albert, John B (Jean Baptiste), and Thyra. All the children were born in Louisiana, the family moved to Beaumont, Texas in about 1918. Haydee Decuir married George Lemons in 1919 (may be Le'Mons or ?), and their daughter Lise Lemons is my father's mother.

I am trying to locate the parents of Albert Girard Decuir, as well as any other info on these families. Please let me know if you can help.

Decuir, Nereaux, Lescene, Lemons

Thanks,
Mike
mhall_sr@yahoo.com

Posted: 1 Apr 2008 2:08AM GMT
I can't find any definite links to the name Albert Girard DeCuir in Fr Hebert's Southwest Louisiana Records, nor can I find any reference to his wife anywhere in the books. I suspect they maybe listed in the Baton Rouge Diocese Sacramental Records books. You can find a set in a good genealogy library. Sorry I could be of more help. I can send you what I did find in reference to Albert DeCuir and Girard Decuir. I could find anything referencing both names nore could I find anyone born the exact year of 1871.

Posted: 6 Jun 2008 10:56PM GMT
Surnames: Jean Lois, Cormier
Hi Cherryl, I have just found this site and have been searching for info on my great-great grandfather, jean louis of the congo, my mother has told me all my life my great grandmother's father was from the Congo and his name was jean louis, we have a reunion biannually with his descendants in New Iberia Louisiana. I would love to talk to you more about this. We actually just had a reunion last her in laffeyete, it is actually my great grandmothers decendents because we don't have any knowledge of any of her siblings except what's been pass down by word of mouth, my great uncle explains it well, but i know that her father was jean louis of the congo and her mother was Eliza Barcee', please contact me, it would be great to connect to the rest of our clan. Many of the surnames you have listed are also relatives. I have attached a piture of my great-great grandmother who would have been the wife or had a child with jean louis from the congo. I have attached their photos, 1. Eliza Barcee' 2. Laura Jean Louis Cormier
Attachments:

Posted: 9 Jun 2008 4:14PM GMT
Wow, this is very interesting!! Can you give me more information on your gr-grandmother? I know that Jean Louis of the Congo had at least one son and three daughters. He was able to purchase the freedom of his daughters and in his will stipulated from them to purchase the freedom of their brother. He was not able to buy his son before he died. He was not freed until he was 65 yrs old by his deceased owner's widow. His son, also named JeanLouis, had a bunch of sons, several of which lived in the New Iberia area. The rest lived in St Martin Parish. I'm guessing you are a descendant of the son. Please contact me at my email addy (CherrylM@AOL.com).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions