Search for content in message boards

Alexander Dumas- the writer

Alexander Dumas- the writer

Posted: 11 Jan 2001 9:52AM GMT
Edited: 19 Apr 2002 8:46PM GMT
Family stories handed down say we are descended form this man. Is there anywhere on the net or anywhere..that has a family tree for him and his descendents?
Thanks . Tracey

Descendancy from Alexander Dumas

Posted: 11 Jan 2001 12:19PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2001 5:13PM GMT
Hi Tracey,
I don't know if this will help but someone has posted an outline descendant tree for Alexandre Dumas at the following address:
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=DESCdb=h... .
Cut and paste it into your web browser's address slot. Be sceptical of any information you find on the internet. It should only be taken as a starting place.
I know my line of Dumases could not be descended from Alexander but I have gotten interested in the subject. Where is your oldest proven Dumas relative from and do you have an approximate date for his presence there? Once we know something about where your ancestors started we can start making some educated guesses about the likelyhood of your having descended from Alexander.
I haven't run across anyone in North America that has proved their descendancy from Alexandre. If you find anyone, let me know.
Please include your email address in the text of your replies as this board does not display it otherwise.
Best of luck, looking forward to hearing from you.
John Dumas
jdumas@netport.com
Palmdale, California

Descendant - I believe

Wilbur J. Duplessis Rogers, III (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2001 12:32PM GMT
Hi - It is very frustrating to believe something and not be able to prove it. After thirty some years, I would be just as happy if it were proven that I am not realated. My GGgrandmother was Rose' or Rose Marie Dumas. Her daughter was Blanche Dumas (1871 - naturalized 1874 census records). She along with my Grandparents, father and auunt have always insisted that Blanche was a Grandneice of Alexandre. She donated manuscripts, to the then Colored WMCA, which were then donated to a NEW YORK library (not yet identified). Early 1800's Dumas descendant has "Duplessis" in there name. If you are interested in continueing correspondence, please reply via e-mail {buddyr@erols.com}. I have done extensive work on Alexandre's tree back to his grandfather (1700's) forward to 1830.

Dumas

Robert Mayer (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2001 5:00AM GMT
I also have always been told that our Dumas line is related to Alexander Dumas. To date I have been able to trace to my great grandmother,Mary Rosalia Celina Dumas (b.April 23, 1873 in Norwood, Ontario), and her father, Severe Dumas. Severe married Justine Brunet. That is all the information I have been able to discover to this date.

Dumas Family Louisiana

Bridget Simmons (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2001 5:21PM GMT
Are you from Louisiana? My gg grandmother name was also Rose Dumas. I also was told that we are descendents of Alexander Dumas.

Dumas Family Louisiana

Bridget Simmons (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jun 2001 2:57PM GMT
No, I am not from Louisiana; however, the story goes like this - Blanche was born in Mexico. She was naturalized at three years old in 1874. Before she died, my grandmother mentioned to my wife something about them (Rose and Blanche) coming to the United States through came through Louisiana. I would love to pursue this if you are willing. What more do you know about Rose? Hope to hear from you soon.

Dumas Family Louisiana

Wilbur (Buddy) Rogers (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jun 2001 3:17PM GMT
I obviously got the NAME lable backwards. It was from me to you!!! buddyr@erols.com

Re: Alexander Dumas- the writer

Posted: 7 May 2003 3:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 May 2003 3:38AM GMT
Surnames: dumas
i have had the same rumor....but found a spot that said .....that if u r a dumas chances r no.....dumas was his chosen pen name.truth maybe.

Posted: 12 Jan 2005 10:08PM GMT
Surnames: DUMAS
Hi,
I'm French, my name his DUMAS.
I'm sorry, but Alexander DUMAS was a pen name ; in fact Alexander chose the name of his gd mother, a person of mixed-race born in Saint-Domingue (Carribean island) . His real name was "Davy de la Pailleterie" his father, Thomas,was a famous general of Napoleon army.
His son, Alexander, use the same pen name.
Nobody of his descendants could use the name of DUMAS as an official name.

Christinea (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2005 8:02PM GMT
Thank You so much for clearing up this matter. I have said for years that this was his pen name and no one would believe me. I too am a Dumas.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic