Search for content in message boards

Newtons in Alabama

Newtons in Alabama

Michelle Newton (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2000 10:08AM GMT
I'm doing a search on Newtons in Albama. I've been asking my dad (Ray Newton) some names and stuff, but he's one of those guys unfortunately who either never kept up with names or just doesn't want to talk about it. All I have to date is my grandfather was Alder Newton and my grandmother was Beatrice Newton (maiden name Skinner). He comes up in the SSDI but strangely enough she doesn't. My great uncle was Brady Newton. There's supposed to be another uncle named Victor Newton. That's all I have. I'm getting ready to just give up on my dad and call my aunt. :)

Newton Research in AL

SUSAN (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 2000 2:36PM GMT
Hi Michelle :)

Do you have any dates for those newtons?

Newtons

Michelle (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2000 6:08AM GMT
Alder Newton : 07/21/1895 - 19/15/1967. Brady Newton : 04/08/1897 - 11/73. They were brothers. Alder married Beatrice Skinner (1905? - 1961?) who died of tetnus when she stepped on a nail, but I can't find her anywhere in the SSDI to get dates, and the same goes for Mae Howell, Brady's wife. But I do know that Alder has at least 2 living children, one of which is my dad. I asked my dad who Alder's parents were, and he gave me the names of John Henry Newton and Bertie (sp?) _maiden name unknown_. Brady had 4 kids that I know of. I feel like until I get a hold of some paper documents I'm at a dead end, and it's very frustrating. I did find out that the family has an over-ground tomb (mausoleum) in Pheonix City, AL, but I doubt that the whole clan is buried there. Thanks for any help you can provide!

AL

Susan (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2000 8:48AM GMT
The question now is what counties are you looking at?
If your Alder and Brady were born abt 1895-1900.. chances
are they will show up in the census for that county (or maybe
a surrounding one)as a child in someones household. If they dont,
check the 1910 census... and then finally, look in the 1920 census
to see if they are listed as married men with families.

Its not surprising that the wife of Alder doesnt show up
in the SSDI...neither my parents nor any of my grandparents
show up. The SSDI only returns information about
persons with Social Security numbers whose deaths
were reported to the Social Security Administration.

If the didnt hold a social security number,
(A LOT of folks didnt, my grandparents included)
their death wasnt reported to the SSA, or they didnt
receive benefits of some kind... they arent going to be listed.

AL counties

Michelle (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2000 9:55AM GMT
I'm looking mostly at Russell and Houston counties, but I've had trouble getting a hold of census files online. Since I'm in Kansas, I don't really know of a library around here that would have Alabama cencus records. I don't think they moved much. I'm sure they lived in the same counties all their lives. But Alder died in Russell county and Brady died in houston county. do you know where i can find the census records?

AL Counties

Susan (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2000 10:35AM GMT
Look in the phone book and locate your local
Mormon church. Call them and ask them for the
location of the nearest Family History Library,
and then visit :)

The nice people there normally have a very good
selection of microfilm for census records.. normally
from those states surrounding it. If they dont,
you can order them for a very nominal fee and use
them for up to three months. (fee was 3.50 a roll
last time I ordered some). Many times they will
also have printed copies of the census's availiable
too :))).. especially an index.

Susan

Edward P. Newton, born approx. 1822

Betsey Newton Dendy (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 2000 4:30PM GMT
Could you tell me which Newtons you are researching in Al. I need information on Edward, Stephen, Eben, and James. Maybe we can help each other. Bet

Newton's in Alabama, Langdale

John Newton (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2000 7:39PM GMT
Looking for info on Giles, Rosa, Grace, Arthur, John Henry, Julious, Rose Bud (nee Crowder) Skinner name sounds familar. Also Bannister, Thomason. Thanks
John Newton Jnewt10640@aol.com (New Jersey)

Newtons in Alabama

Michelle Newton (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2000 7:57PM GMT
John Henry's my great-grandfather! So Beatrice Skinner would've been John Henry's daughter-in-law because she married John Henry's son, Alder, my grandfather. My dad is my only source of information and he seems unsure or not willing to really go into it. But he did say his grandfather's name was John Henry. I bet if i get a hold of my aunt's phone number, she would be much better than my dad at this, but it's been years since i've talked to my aunt (we're not close, but not because of anything controversial, it's just the way it's always been because they travel a lot.) Let's put our heads together and dig in to see if we have something here. Thanks!

Newtons in AL - Counties

Posted: 20 Dec 2000 11:53AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 4:05PM GMT
Michelle Others,

I don't have anything in my records for the individuals you named, but I don't have extensive info on my Newton lineage yet. I know that I am descended from Constantine Newton, b. 1790 in SC, d. 1891 in AL. He and his brother, David, migrated to Henry County, AL from SC in the 1820s. It is a distinct possibility that your AL lines may have descended from one of these brothers as well.

You might want to expand your search for your Newton lines into Henry (formed in 1819), Dale (formed in 1824) and Geneva (formed in 1868) Counties. Houston Co. is the youngest county in AL, having been formed in 1903.

My own Newton line was heavily concentrated in Geneva Dale Counties. There is even a town of Newton in Dale County. Lots of people from SE AL NW FL migrated up toward Phenix City, Russell Co., AL/Columbus, Muscogee Co., GA to work in the textile mills, so it's conceivable that your family did the same.

Good luck with your search. If you'd like to know more about what I have in my files at this point, please feel free to email me. I'll be happy to share what I have.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions