Search for content in message boards

slagle family tree

slagle family tree

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 2:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Feb 2009 5:44PM GMT
Surnames: Slagle
My wife's mother is Gladys Susie Slagle from Kentucky and am having a tough time tracing her Slagle line back. She was born July 5, 1916 in Wayne County. Any help out there?
kingsley@iowatelecom.net

Thanks,
Harry Kingsley

Re: slagle family tree

Posted: 20 Dec 2009 2:53AM GMT
Edited: 21 Dec 2009 9:39PM GMT
Surnames: Slagle, Province, Massengale
Hi Harry,
I was going thru the threads and found your request, my gggrandmother was Rosanah Jane Slagle, daughter of John and Cynthia Province Slagle and she married William Matthew Massengale. I have quite a bit of information on the Slagles but nothing on your Gladys Susie, do you have any idea about her parents or who she might have married.
Are you in the Grinnell or Newton area, there were a lot of folks from Wayne County that moved to the Grinnell/Newton area, used to be called "little kentucky".
Let me know what else you might be able to tell me about your Gladys Susie and I'll see what I have to share with you.
Looking forward to hearing back from you...cuz
Lorrie L. Massengale Stringham

Posted: 20 Dec 2009 5:13PM GMT
Edited: 21 Dec 2009 9:40PM GMT
Surnames: Slagle, Privitt, Province, Guffey, Buffum
Hi Lorrie,
Well, let's see if we have the right people. I show Johann Slagle b 5/13/1793 d 1/13/1851 m Cynthia Province b 1805 d1870 and I only know of one child George Slagle b 1832 d 1880 m Sarah Sally Privitt. They had 5 children Joseph, Elizabeth, Wilford, Betsy & William 'Buck' Slagle. Buck married Artemia (not sure of last name) and they had 7 children, Charley, Eliza, Dock, John, Thomas, Mollie, Belle & Cooper Slagle. Cooper married Edna Guffey and they had 3 children, Gladys, Hazel & Herbert Slagle. Gladys married Joseph Buffum and they had 6 children, Gary, Betty Jo, Janet, Rebecca, James & Linda Buffum. Linda married me and we have 2 children, Marsha & Melissa.

Posted: 20 Dec 2009 6:55PM GMT
Edited: 21 Dec 2009 9:41PM GMT
Hi Lorrie,
I hit 'POST' before I realized. I just wanted to add that I have much more info and to thank you for replying.
Harry
Iowa

Posted: 21 Dec 2009 2:41AM GMT
Edited: 21 Dec 2009 9:42PM GMT
Surnames: Slagle, Province, Privitt
Hey Harry,
Okay here goes....
I believe that John Slagle had two wives, I do not know who the first wife was but he had atleast three children with the first wife; Abram born 1812, Joseph born Aug 9 1818 - died jul 3 1883, and Elizabeth Sept 15, 1820. About 1830 John married Cynthia Province, they had 7 children - Tilman Province, Gorge Wesley, Rosannah Jane (my gggrandmother), Keelan, Martin, Salley, and Melissey. My records indicate George and Sarah Privitt were married Mar 29 1852 Wayne Co., Kentucky; I had 5 children for George and Sarah, Caroline, Joseph, William, Elizabeth, and Wilford...I will add the other children that you had in your post.
For William "Buck" Slagle, born Jan 15 1859 - died June 14 1938 buried in Slagle Hollow Cemetery, Mt. Pisgah, Wayne Co., Kentucky next to his wife Artemia Tennessee Slagle born Mar 1 1856 - died Apr 24 1927; I only had three children for them - Dock, Elija, and Charles.
I have photographed and recorded the Rock Creek Cemetery in Jasper County and find Cooper Slagle (1894 - 1938) buried there with his wife Edna (1897 - 1930) I do not have any other info at this time on them but will look through my obituaries to see if I have theirs.
Do you use Family Tree, I will try to e-mail my family file for John to you. I will also be adding your information that you have given so far so it may be a day or two before I get it sent out to you, if I can't e-mail it I will make a CD for you and send it out to you.
Talk to you soon
Lorrie

Posted: 21 Dec 2009 3:16AM GMT
Edited: 21 Dec 2009 9:43PM GMT
Hey Harry,
This doesn't have anything to do with the Slagle family but I did a little digging because I was curious and you are not going to belive this but I grew up across the street from your mom, the Massengales...do you remember my family. your mama, got one of our puppies from our dog, Peppy. Talk about a small world....I was the oldest child in that family...that neighborhood sure has changed since I was a kid.
Lorrie

Posted: 21 Dec 2009 4:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Dec 2009 9:42PM GMT
Surnames: Slagle, Guffey
Good Morning Lorrie,
We are really in the right family tree. I knew Dock & Edna Guffey Slagle as they lived here in Grinnell, Iowa. I have much more information and I do use Family Tree. What I want to know is how you fit in the tree because apparently I don't have your side.
This is getting exciting,
Later,
Harry

Posted: 21 Dec 2009 4:07PM GMT
Edited: 21 Dec 2009 9:44PM GMT
Surnames: Slagle, Massengale
Hi Lorrie,
Yes, the Massengales is 'vaguely' familiar. You are saying you were next door to the Broad and Harrison street home I grew up in? Which direction from my old home stead. The only direction I can think of is directly North of us across the street. Am I right?
Harry

Posted: 21 Dec 2009 4:51PM GMT
Edited: 21 Dec 2009 9:43PM GMT
Lorrie,
One other thing. William 'Buck' Slagle was married to Artemia Tennessee Slagle. Usually when you have the wife listed you use the maiden name. Was she a Slagle that married a Slagle or is Tennessee her married name or middle name? I am confused on her maiden name. Are you still in Iowa?
Later & thanks,
Harry

Posted: 23 Dec 2009 2:10PM GMT
Edited: 24 Dec 2009 9:53PM GMT
Harry,
We were right across Broad Street to the west, on the corner it was a big two story house and we used to have a chain link fence around it, it had the shingle like siding on it. It has nicer siding on it now, your mom's house has changed as well, the whole neighborhood just looks so different.
I live out in Guthrie Center, about an hour west of Des Moines. I usually make about three trips to kentucky each year.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions