Search for content in message boards

Looking for info on David Turner Shaw / Elisha Shaw

Looking for info on David Turner Shaw / Elisha Shaw

Posted: 13 May 2005 12:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Aug 2009 4:22PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, Clark, Turner, Mitchell
I am descended from the Weymouth, Massachusetts Shaws (Abraham, John, Nicholas, John, Elisha...).

I have found information on most of the older generations of Shaws. However, I am stuck verifying a connection between Elisha Shaw (1720 - c.1775) and his son David Turner Shaw (1764 - 1856). Elisha married Susannah Clark (1721-1790). David is listed as being born in Bath, Maine. I have also seen David mentioned as the son of Elisha and a woman named Hannah. Elisha is the son of John Shaw and Jane Turner so it seems logical that there is a real connection between him and David Turner Shaw. David was married to Jane Mitchell (1766-1856).

I am wondering if I am missing some key information or if I have just have wrong information. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Marian

Re: Looking for info on David Turner Shaw / Elisha Shaw

Posted: 15 May 2005 12:28AM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2005 10:02PM GMT

Posted: 3 Jun 2005 4:43AM GMT
Edited: 27 Aug 2009 4:23PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, Clark
Marian,

Elisha Shaw and Susannah Clark declared their intention of marriage 11 Dec 1743 in Weymouth, MA (perhaps married in Braintree).

David Turner Shaw's brother Joshua Shaw was born 17 May 1755 perhaps in Braintree (Maine Families in 1790 state he was born in Weymouth, son of Elisha Shaw and Susanna Clark). If you are correct Susanna lived until 1790, she would also be the mother of David Turner Shaw.

On the 1790 U. S. Federal Census in Maine, Elisha Shaw and Elisha Shaw Jr are living in Littleborough Plantation (now Leeds); David and Joshua are living in Bath Town.

I don't know where you found Hannah, though I have occasionally seen the name Susannah with the nickname Hannah or Anna in the 1600s/1700s.

I have Susanna Clark born 17 Nov 1724 Braintree, though haven't verified this with a vital record.

Other than some of Joshua's descendants, I have little on this family.

Deborah

Posted: 7 Oct 2005 6:10PM GMT
Edited: 27 Aug 2009 4:24PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw
For any interested Shaws out there--

I found the connection in a book called "The Edward Clarence Plummer History of Bath Maine" 1936, Bath, Maine.

It mentions the relocation of Elisha and Susannah Shaw to Bath on page 97:

"Elisha, founder of the Shaw family [in Bath, ME], arrived about 1761, building a log house on the east side of Town Road just above where Pine St now intersects. His good lady, Susannah, one day shot a bear which she caught carrying off one of their sheep, an exploit which has given her name a place in local history."

David Turner Shaw, the youngest child of Elisha Shaw, was born in Bath, ME. All of his other siblings were born in Massachusetts. There is quite a lot on David and his brothers Joshua and Elisha Jr. in Bath history.

Re: handwritten account of the family written in 1843

Posted: 27 Aug 2009 11:23AM GMT
Edited: 27 Aug 2009 4:24PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw
I have access to a handwritten account of the family written in 1843 by David Turner Shaw himself. If you would like a copy email privately Rgraymond@aol.com. I plan also to send a copy in the future to the Patten Free Library in Bath.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic