Search for content in message boards

Cornelius and Polly (Watson) McEveny

Cornelius and Polly (Watson) McEveny

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 9:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've just discovered the Franklin County, Vermont probate file for Polley McEveny, who died around 1813, likely shortly after the death of her husband (since he is found in 1810 Census for Sheldon, Franklin County, Vermont).

Polly and Cornelius were married on 17 Feb 1792 in Williamstown, Berkshire, Massachusetts.

They had several children:
Daniel over 21 in 1815
Salley, also over 21. She married a Williams.
Mariah, b. 1795, who married Asa Johnson.
Thomas, b. 1795, who married Elizabeth Van Anglen.
Polly, b. 1798.
Charlotte, b. 1801.
Samuel, b. 1805. Moved to WI where he married Waitz Ann (?) and had two sons, Washington and Francis. The family was in Washington County for at least two decades then all trace of the entire family is lost after the 1860 Census.
Louisa, b. 1806, who married Abraham Dunning. They had a large family that migrated to Henry County, Illinois.
Lucretia, b. 1808.
There are two other daughters - Lucinda and something that looks like Lonifers - no age information for them.

Daniel and Salley both lived in New York in 1815, as did their younger siblings Samuel and Lucretia. The probate doesn't state where in New York they are, though across Lake Champlain in Clinton, Essex, Warren or Washington Counties would be the most likely guess, though they could have easily travelled downstream to Albany or farther.

I'm interested in locating any researchers that might have an interest in this family or their descendants.

-Steve

Re: Cornelius and Polly (Watson) McEveny

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 4:11AM GMT
Hello Steve
I just saw your post about Polly Watson, I have a Julia Lucinda Watson in my ancestry line I don't know if there is any connection she was born abt. 1838 in Canada and she died in 1909 in Quebec Canada. She was the daughter of James Watson and Malanda Schwabrafs, There was another daughter Mary Jane Watson b: Abt.1848. Julia Watson married Mathew Ezekiel Corey the 14 Oct. 1858, in Puducah, McKracken Co. Ky. The Corey family immigrated from RI to Canada and settled very close to the boarder with the US so they had a habit of going back and forth from one country to the other. I don't know if Julia had any other siblings as I haven't yet tried to find that line. I hope this may prove to be of some help to you.

Audrey

Re: Cornelius and Polly (Watson) McEveny

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 3:56PM GMT
Surnames: Watson, McEveny, Crofoot, Bur, Wilkinton
Hi!

The fact that Polly Watson married Cornelius McEveny on 19 Feb 1792 in Williamstown, Berkshire, Massachusetts suggests she may have been born around that area. But it is equally possible that she was an immigrant. However, there were other Watsons that married there around the same time:

Abijah Bur married Sarah Watson on 18 Nov 1791
Ebenezer Watson married Cynthea Wilkinton on 20 Mar 1792
Joseph Crofoot and Lois Watson on 27 Aug 1801

There is also a Daniel Watson that married (wife's name unknown) and had children:
David, b. 13 Dec 1778
Noah, b. 30 Dec 1780
Anna, b. 26 Feb 1783

There is no way to know how these individuals may be related.

But with Polly being born in 1774 and Julia being born in 1848 there could be from one to three generations that separate them, IF they are related.

-Steve
per page

Find a board about a specific topic