Search for content in message boards

town of Eugene

town of Eugene

Posted: 21 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 4:02PM GMT
Surnames: Davidson, McMechen, McKee
Looking for Davidsons, MeMechens, or McKees in Vermillion.
Have copy of will of James Davidson, County of Vermillion.Mentions wife Orpha Davidson, Fleming Davidson, and other children, dated May 27, 1840.
Specifically, seeking connection to Samuel McKee and Rachel Davidson McKee.
Thanks
Janice Harper

Re: town of Eugene

Posted: 18 Sep 2001 2:12AM GMT
Edited: 25 Nov 2001 11:37AM GMT
Janice, My husband's ggg grandmother was Orpha McMechen Davidson.
She moved from Vermillion county, IN to CA in 1854 with her son, Jeremiah Davidson, and several other family members.
Orpha died in Fort Jones, CA and is the oldest person buried in the Fort Jones Cemetery.
I have a copy of her obituary and lots of family information, if you are interested.
We would love to get a copy of her husband's will.
ANY other information on James Davidson would be really appreciated. Kristi Bigham

Janice Harper (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2001 3:03AM GMT
Surnames: Davidson, McKee, Wright
Kristi!
Info I have on Orpha comes from The Davidson Genealogy, by Elizabeth Davidson Harbaugh,1948.
Briefly: 'Ref. to Orpha McMechen, b. Feb. 8, 1796, W.Va., opposite present town of Clarington, O., d. 1876, Ft.Jones, CA.., m. July 11, 1819, James Davidson, b. May 15, 1792, d. May 13, 1840, Eugene, Vermillion Co. Ind., buried on land he entered in tht Co. Presbl, farmer, freed his slaves and gave them $150 apiece, Family tradition is, he was the son of Fleming Davidson who was accidently drowned. It is also claimed he was a relative of Hannah (Davidson) McMechen. From my research(Elizabeth's) the record of the family of William Davidson, b. in Scotland, 1725. m. Sarah or Margaret Fleming, indicate he is a gr.son of the above William.'
I have never fully understood that paragraph!!. Fleming and Margaret are buried at Finley Chapel Cemetery in Montgomery Co. In. and are relatives of mine. Hannah Davidson McMechen was a sister of my gggma, Rachel Davidson McKee. I have a lot on the McKee's and Davidson's.

Altho' this is getting long, I will copy James' will here as stated in the Harbaugh book:
JAMES DAVIDSON, WILL
I, James Davidson, of the county of Vermillion and State of Indiana, being weak of body, but of sound mind and memory and understanding, do make and publish this my Last Will and Testament, that is to say:
First Bequeath:-
I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife, Orpha Davidson, for her use and with a view to her support, and the support of my children, all personal property of whatsoever name or nature.
Second Bequeath:-
I give and bequeath to my my children, Norcissa, David, Jeremiah, William, Fleming, Hanna Jane, Sarah, Finley and James, the quarter Section of the land on which I at present reside, in equal parts, share and share each Third with a view to a just and speedy liquidation of all the just debts I at present owe, appoint Joseph Collett and Robert E. Brnett of the County of Vermillion and State of Indiana, Executors of this my last will and Testment and I do request and enjoin it
upon my executors to sell either at a private sale or outcry as they be induced to t hink will best conduce to my interest, Thirteen acres of land I own, directly south of Eugene and apply the proceeds arising from the sale thereof to the payment of my debts and should there remain in the lands [hands?]of my Executors a surplus arising from the sale of the property last before mentioned and the debts due me, and which said debts I authorize and request my said Executors to collect, as speedy as practicaable, I desire my Executors to pay over to my beloved wife, Orpha Davisdon, said surplus--.
In testimony Whereof, I James Davidson, have hereunto set my hadn and affixed my Seal to this my Last Will and Testament this Seventeenth day of April in the year of our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Forty.
James Davidson [seal]
Sogmed om tje [resemce pf
Stephen S. Colle[c]t,
Alexander Arrasmith,
Abraham Shane.
Will probated May 27, 1840. Alexander B. Florer, Clerk

Haven't proofread this, but if you are like me you want to read it as soon as possible.
I am very interested in what ever you have on Fleming or Finley, who I expect Finley Chapel in Montgomery Co. is named for.
Keep in touch!
J.

Posted: 10 Feb 2003 2:39AM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2003 11:10PM GMT
I would love to see a transcription of this obit. Hoping that your e-mail address is current.

Debra Anderson

Posted: 21 Jun 2005 6:07PM GMT
Surnames: Davidson and McMechens
Janice would it be possible to get a copy of that will, or any information that you may have on Orpha or James McMechen? They are my gggg grandparents. I grew up on the Davidson ranch in Scott Valley. I am trying to find out any information that I can about them.

Thank you,
Minalyn

Posted: 22 Jun 2005 1:17AM GMT
Will reply in detail tomorrow!
Do you have any McKees, Thompsons or Davidsons with name Fleming? Am trying to connect Davidsons on both sides of my family.
Janice

Posted: 22 Jun 2005 3:35PM GMT
JAMES DAVIDSON, WILL

I, James Davidson, of the County of Vermillion and State of Indiana, being weak of body, but sound of mind, and memory and understanding, to make and publish this my last Will and Testament, that is to say:

First Bequeath:-
I give and bequeath to my beloved wife, Orpha Davidson, for her use and with a view to her support, and the support of my children, all personal property of whatsoever name or nature.

Second Bequeath:-
I give and bequeath to my children, Narcissa, David, Jeremiah, William, Fleming, and Hannah Jane, Sarah, Finley and James, the quarter Section of land on which I at present reside, in equal parts, share and share each Third with a view to a just and speedy Liquidation of all the just debts I at present owe, and appoint Josephus Collett and Robert E. Barnett of the County of Vermillion and State of Indiana, Executors of this my Last Will and Testament and I do request and enjoin it upon my Executors to sell either at a private sale or outcry as they be induced to think will best conduce to my interest,Thirteen acres of land I own, directly south of Eugene and apply the proceeds arising
from the sale thereof to the payment of my debts and should there remain in the lands [hands?]of my Executors a surplus arising from the sale of the property last before mentioned and the debts due me, and which said debts I authorize and request my Executors to collect as speedily as practicable, I desire my Executors to pay over to my beloved wife, Orpha Davidson, said surplus--.

In Testimony Whereof, I, James Davidson, have hereunto set my hand and affixed my Seal to this my Last Will and Testament this Seventeenth day of April in the year of our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Forty.
James Davidson [Seal]

Signed in the presence of
Stephen S. Collect [?]
Alexander Arrasmith,
Abraham Shane

Will probated May 27, 1840
Alexander B. Florer, clerk

Minalyn Lane (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2005 7:06PM GMT
I am out of Town right now, but will be back home soon. I do have a book that has a Fleming Davidson listed. I will look in it and get back to you.

Posted: 29 Oct 2010 1:22AM GMT
Surnames: Davidson, McKee, Wright
Minalyn...are you still out there? I am still trying to connect Fleming Davidson's line to Lewis DAvidson's.
I am related to both.
Elaine

Posted: 31 Oct 2010 11:39PM GMT
I am. I have been trying to get back to doing more and I am trying to get it all organized. I will check out my info and get back with you.

Thanks,
Minalyn Bigham Lane
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions