Search for content in message boards

John Jr. Wright

John Jr. Wright

Diana Hayes (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wright, Jordan, McCoy, Hays, Green, Castle, Salyer, Powers

John Jr. Wright born abt.1814 ,in Rockbridge Co.,Va., He was married to Susan Jordan, d/o Covith Jordan and Patsy. Although on census they have put Covey. John Jr. and Susan appear in the 1850 Russell Co.census, in the same census there is a John Sr. whom is suppose to be his father. John Jr. 's mother was Martha, nickname , Patsy, McLaughlin. My gg grandma was John Jr's daughter Lucinda Ann Wright, or known to us as Lucy Annie. On the census they also put her name as just Anna. I am at a road with this branch of my family . If anyone can relate to these people, I would like to hear from you. Every little helps!

Diana

John Wright

Don Hiserodt (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Your query in Rockbridge County, VA pages lists a John Wright JR. born 1814. I have another John born 1827 in Rockbridge County to Charles Wright. My John moved to Decatur County Indiana and married Lovica Stark a daughter of Caleb Stark and Anna Yarnell Boone (Daniel's Cousin)

Re: John Jr. Wright

Diana Stevens (View posts)
Posted: 16 Sep 2001 1:13AM GMT
Surnames: Hays
I'm sorry but I no nothing about John Wright but I noticed you are chasing Hayses. I am trying to find anyone searching on the descendents of John Hays who settled on Hays Creek in Rockbridge Co about 1740. I am mostly interested in his son Charles, who also had a son charles who was living in Fayette Co KY at one time. Thanks. Diana Hays Stevens

Posted: 26 Oct 2001 6:31PM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2002 1:57AM GMT
I am trying to tie my James C. Wright born ca1843 to John Jr. Wright b. 1814 Rockbridge. James C. married Amanda C. Vicar/Vickers. I haven't located a marriage bond between them. Amanda was from Russell County Va. and I know that the family of John Jr. Wright with son James C. were listed on the 1860 Wise County Va census. James and Amanda married ca 1865. First son John S. born 1866 in Virginia. 1868 another son Samuel was born. James and Amanda move to Lawrence County Ky and was on the 1870 census. In 1880 they were on the Jackson County Census. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Paula

Posted: 7 Nov 2005 3:44PM GMT
My name is Phyllis Sturgill gr gr grandaughter of John and Susan Wright. My gr grandmother was Patsy Alice Wright Mays..wife of William (Bill) Mays. The 1850 Va Census shows James Wright was born in Rockbridge Co Va.. and Susan in Russell County....information I have shows Susan's maiden name as Jordan.....would like any information on the Wight line you could give me at sturgillgp@bellsouth.net.

Posted: 2 Oct 2007 3:14AM GMT
Phyllis,
Are you still out there. I just ran across your post and would like to exchange info on this Wright family.
Paula

Re: John Wright

Posted: 2 Oct 2007 1:43PM GMT
Surnames: WRIGHT
Dear Don,

The following is what I have on your John Wright. The tabbing gets messed up copying into a reply, but hopefully, it will be readable.

Excerpt from William Wright, Sr., (Bedford County, Virginia):

1899 (year of death) John Wright of Decatur County, Indiana, (place of death) was a son of 1860 Charles Wright of Decatur County, Indiana, and Mary “Polly” (Eubank) Wright. (William1, 1860 Charles2)

The 1830 Census for Rockbridge County, Virginia, listed Charles Wright with a son born between 1825 and 1830.

The 1850 Census for Decatur County, Indiana, listed John Wright in the George Eubank household on August 26, 1850, in Clay Township and his age as 24 and born in Indiana, indicating a date of birth in about 1826, which is consistent with the 1830 Census for Rockbridge County, Virginia.

The 1860 Census for Decatur County, Indiana, listed John Wright with the following household on July 7, 1860:

Value of
Name Age Sex Color Occupation Real Estate

John Wright 33 M Farmer 5400
Lurena Wright 32 F House wife
Philander Wright 6 M
George W Wright 5 M
Mary E Wright 3 F
Sarah J Wright 1 F
Hardin Beets 20 M Day Labor

Value of Married Attended Cannot Deaf
Personal Place of Within School Read & Dumb Blind
Property Birth Year Within Year Write Insane etc.

1000 Virginia
Indiana
Indiana 1
Indiana 1
Indiana
Indiana
England

This record indicates that John Wright was born in about 1827 and that Lovenia (Stark) Wright was born in about 1828.

The 1870 Census for Decatur County, Indiana, listed John Wright with the following household on July 23, 1870:

Value of
Name Age Sex Color Occupation Real Estate

John Wright 43 M W Farmer 3000
Lavina Wright 42 F W Keeping House
George W Wright 15 M W Farm Laborer
May E. Wright1 14 F W at home
Sarah J. Wright 12 F W at home
Greenup B. Wright 7 M W
Clara B. Wright 5 F W
Nora M Wright 1 F W
Levitt Thomas 23 M W Farm Laborer

Value of Married Born Attended
Personal Place of Within Within School Cannot
Property Birth Year Year Within Year Read

1460 Virginia
Indiana
Indiana
Indiana
Indiana
Indiana
Indiana
Indiana
Indiana

Cannot Deaf Dumb Blind Male Citizen Male Citizen Over 21
Write Insane or Idiot Over 21 Without Right to Vote

This record indicates that John Wright was born in about 1827 and that Lovenia (Stark) Wright was born in about 1828.

The 1880 Census for for Decatur County, Indiana, listed John Wright with the following household on July 25, 1870:

Month
Name Color Sex Age of Birth Relationship

John Wright W M 54
Lovena Wright W F 53 Wife
George W Wright W M 25 Son
Sarah J Wright W F 21 Daughter
Renop S. Wright W M 16 Son
Clara Belle Wright W F 15 Daughter
Nora M Wright W F 10 Daughter
Wilbur B Wright W M 8 Son
Mattie P Wright W F 6 Daughter

Married Months Sickness Blind
Marital During Unem- Deaf & Dumb
Status Year Occupation ployed Idiotic Disabled

M Farmer
M Keeps house
S Farm laborer
S At home
S Farm laborer
S At home
S
S
S

Attended School Cannot Cannot Father Mother
Within Year Read Write Born Born Born

. Va Va Va
. Ind Ky Ky
. Ind Va Ind
. Ind Va Ind
1 Ind Va Ind
1 Ind Va Ind
1 Ind Va Ind
1 Ind Va Ind
1 Ind Va Ind

This record indicates that John Wright was born in about 1826 and that Lovenia (Stark) Wright was born in about 1827.

In his email dated August 3, 2006, Mike Jones enclosed a photograph of the tombstone of John Wright and Luvenia (Stark) Wright from the Hebron Cemetery, Decatur County, Indiana, which listed the following:

"John Wright
Born Aug. 20, 1826
Died Jul 7, 1899
Luvenia Stark
his wife
Born May 28, 1827
Died May 18, 1911"

In his email dated March 26, 2006, Mike Jones enclosed a copy of the obituary of Lovena (Stark) Wright published on May 26, 1911, in the Greensburg Standard:

"Aged Woman dead at Adams. Mrs. Lovena Stark Wright, aged eighty-five years, died at the home of her son, Wilbur Wright, at Adams, Thursday. . . was a daughter of Caleb and Anna Boone Stark, who settled one mile south of Adams on Buck’s Run in 18223. It was here that the large family was reared - eleven children in all - five sons and six daughters. Mrs. Wright was the last survivor . . . . She was married to John Wright November 14, 1852. He died several years ago. Eight children survive: Mrs. Pearl Styers and Mrs. George Reed, of this city; Mrs. Charles Johnson of Oklahoma; Miss Sarah Wright, of Adams, and Mrs. Wilbur Applegate, of Washington, D.C., Wilbur of Adams, and Green and George of Iowa . . . ."

In his email dated May 6, 2006, Mike Jones enclosed a copy of the biography of Wilbur Boone Wright from History Of Decatur County, Indiana, Its People, Industires And Institutions, by Lewis A. Harding, published in 1915, which stated in part as follows:

"Wilbur Boone Wright was born in 1871, the son of John and Luvenia (Stark) Wright, pioneers of Clay township, the former of whom was born in Rockbridge county, Virginia, in 1827 and who died at his home in Decatur county in 1899. When about twenty-one years of age, John Wright came to Decatur county from Virginia and settled in Clay township near Liberty. The Wright family is of English origin. John Wright was the son of Charles Wright, who came to this county from Virginia some time after his son, John and located here. Luvenia Stark was the daughter of Caleb and Anne (Boone) Stark, who came to Decatur county from Kentucky in 1826 and settled in Clay township. Caleb Stark was the son of Joseph Stark, who was the son of John Stark, a native of New Hampshire, who moved from that state to Virginia and later to Kentucky, settling in Henry county. Joseph Stark was a well-known Indian fighter and a member of the famous colony headed by Daniel Boone. He came from Virginia to Kentucky in 1780. The Stark family dates from the days of the last James in Scotland, when John Muirhead, a German soldier, for an act of bravery in which he saved the life of the king, was created bishop of Glasgow and his name changed by royal decree to Stark, which is the German for "strength." John Stark, who was born in 1665, was the founder of the Stark family in America, he having come to this country in 1710. His eldest son, Archibald, was the father of General Stark of Revolutionary fame. The remainder of the Stark genealogy may be found in the sketch of Caleb Stark Wright, recorded elsewhere in this volume. He is a cousin of Wilbur Boone Wright, the subject of this sketch. . . ."

In his letter dated May 5, 2006, Mike Jones enclosed a handwritten list of the family of John Wright and Lovenia Stark, prepared by Dale Myers which appears to have been copied from a family Bible:

"John Wright & Lovenia Stark was married November 15, 1852
John Wright was born Aug 20, 1826
Lovenia Wright was born Aug 27, 1827
Philander B. Wright was born Dec 14, 1853
George W. Wright was born Mar 29, 1855
Mary Elizabeth Wright was born Oct 16, 1856
Sarah Jane Wright was born Oct 16, 1858
John Wright was born Mar 21, 1861
Greenup S. Wright was born Aug 11, 1863
Clara Bell Wright was born June 17, 1865
Nora May Wright was born Aug 23, 1869
Wilbur B. Wright was born Aug 6, 1871
Mattie Pearl Wright was born June 17, 1874"

I will be happy to exchange information on this Wright line with you and other interested researchers.

Robert N. Grant
15 Campo Bello Court
Menlo Park, CA 94025
RNGrant@grantandagordon.com

Re: John Wright in Indiana clarification

Posted: 10 Apr 2014 5:57AM GMT
Edited: 10 Apr 2014 5:58AM GMT
Surnames: Wright, McGlothlin, Laughlin, Pennington, Eldridge, Hylton, Allbright, Beets, Hickman
An FYI about Charles Wright of Rockbridge. His son that you (Robert) are referring to is likely his son Calvin. Charles of Rockbridge did not have a son named John, although his sons did use that name in the next generation. This Charles is the brother of John Jr born in Frederick Co and son of John Sr. I saw another post you had for the John-->John-->John that ends up in the Russell/Wise area. My half brother did DNA testing that links him/us strongly with family from that middle John's tree and they clued me in to Charles, who appears to be my 4th great grandfather.

Charles Wright married Dorothea McGlothlin in Rockbridge (John married Martha McGlothlin, assumed to be a cousin of Dorothea's by one tree but the marriage records both list them as daughters of William). Charles, John Jr and John Sr are all in Montgomery County in 1820. Back to Rockbridge for 1830 and 1840. Then Charles moved to Carter Co KY and I believe he died there between 1850 and 1860.
Children were:
Lucy b abt 1813 (at least marriage records list her as daughter of Charles) who married Jacob Hickman (apparently a contemporary of her father's)
William A b abt 1814 married Mary Ann Allbright, Rebecca Bush and Nancy Rister, lived mostly in Carter and Lewis Counties in KY
Frances b abt 1815 married Daniel Beets (again found in marriage records listing her father as Charles)
James b abt 1820 married Anne Hylton and lived mostly in Carter Co.
Mary/Polly b abt 1821 married John Eldridge and (2) Henry Caudill
Henry N b abt 1823 married Matilda Pennington and remained in Carter Co.
Nancy b abt 1824 married Hugh Laughlin she may have died prior to 1850
Calvin Giles b abt 1826 married Rebecca Pennington and Selina Jane Hylton and lived mostly in Lawrence County, KY
Still working on this tree, but I am descended from William A's son John, who ended up in Grayson County, Texas via Ballard/Hickman County KY. The Eldridges, William A and my 2nd great grandpa John all were on Wolf Island, KY at some point. It's an island in the Mississippi that was an argued territory (was ownership Kentucky or Missouri). Therefore, my 2nd great grandparents have two marriage licenses in the records...one for each state!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions