Search for content in message boards

John W. Grigsby

John W. Grigsby

Posted: 25 Jul 2005 3:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Grigsby
Looking for more information about a John W. Grigsby born aprox. 1846 in Georgia. They lived spent time in GA, TN, and AL. I do not know where John or Mary are burried. I do know that the children, Minnie, Thomas, and John all ended up in Pontotoc Co., Roff, OK by 1920 raising their families.

John's Spouse: Mary Pilgrim (spelling may be wrong)
John's Children: Minnie Bell, Thomas Edward, John William

Sources:
1. Death certificate for Minnie Bell Grigsby
2. 1880 Census for Franklin, TN

Re: John W. Grigsby

Posted: 4 Aug 2005 4:16AM GMT
Edited: 20 Jun 2006 5:11AM GMT
Surnames: Grigsby's - Mulkey's - McGee's - Reeve's - Haines - Bell - McDonald
I was interested in your Grigsby's as mine Grigsby's lived near each other in OK. I also have a John Wesley Grigsby. I emailed you but it didn't go through.

John Grigsby Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2005 1:41AM GMT
there is a headstone in Mary's Chapel Ripley,Tennessee of John W. Grigsby married to a Rosy Kirkpatrick. He may of been my grandfather who also married Lizzy Clem who was my grandmother.

Posted: 12 Jun 2006 4:52PM GMT
Edited: 10 Apr 2011 1:51PM GMT
Sorry for not getting back to this message in a timely manner. You can reach me at: rodney.odell@gmail.com

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 11:39PM GMT
Surnames: Grigsby
I think he was my Grandfathers brother. My Grandfathers name was Oscar Grigsby and he was born in Lauderdale county in 1893.

Posted: 15 Jun 2010 4:46PM GMT
Surnames: Grigsby Bradley Clem
Do you have dates for John W. Grigsby?
My great grandfather, known as John G. or John Wesley Grigsby, was married first to Cornelia Caledonia Bradley (also called Neely or Nely) and then to Lizzie Clem. He died in 1938, and my father was adamant that he is not buried in Mary's Chapel Cemetery, although his first wife is (without a headstone). My father knew where everyone of his relatives was in Mary's Chapel Cemetery, so I tend to think he would have been correct. About 5 generations of our family are there. I believe that with his second wife, Lizzie Clem, John G. Grigsby had numerous children, including two sons named John. He may have married a 3rd time, but my grandmother and father never mentioned it.

Posted: 2 Oct 2010 10:56PM GMT
The John W.Grigsby at Marys Chapel Cemeraty (I know a lot of his family)and John G.Grigsby Are Differant People John G. was married 4 Times #1 Cornelia Bradley 8/17/1889 (Haywood Co.Tn) #2 Becky Elezabeth(Lizzie) Clem (2/20/1904 Lauderdale Co. Tn.) (My Grand Mother)Mary Frances Emmerson 3/11/1929
(Hardenman Co.Tn) I know nothing)Virgie Prader 10/13/1934 Lauderdale Co.Tn.I know part of her family I have Marriage Cert.on all 4 wives Also A list of all Of Lizzie's chlidren Birth & deaths Husbands& wives

Posted: 10 Apr 2011 10:00AM GMT
Surnames: Grigsby/Moore/Wall/Walls
I am also working on a Grigsby line in our family.
I am tracing a John Grigsby that I believe was born in GA
who married a woman named Mary born in TN. They had a son Thomas born in about 1874/1875 in TN who married a woman named Lizzie who was born in 1877 in Tx. I have found some records which show her last name possibly is Henley.
The 1920 Census from Pontotoc OK has Thomas and Lizzie with the following children:
Henry born 1906 TX, Edna born 1911 Tx, Thelma born 1908 Tx, Jessie born 1910 TX, TWINS Bennie and Minnie born 1913 in Tx and Flotia age 2 yrs 3 mos born in 1918 in OK.
Now this Census does show Lizzie born in TX but it states that Thomas was born in Alabama!

I have a total of 8 children listed which I would like to double check against your records if I might do so. I am trying to connect the correct Grigsby family to our Moore/Wall(s) family though Thomas and Lizzie's daughter Edna. who died in 1988 in Konawa OK. It any of this looks to be a match to your records or close, please contact me.
My email is kay_fredricks@yahoo.com

Posted: 10 Apr 2011 1:43PM GMT
Surnames: Grigsby, Odell, Pelgrim, Pellum
Yes, this is the same Grigsby line that I am researching! :-) My line from John W. Grigsby is:

John W. Grigsby --> Minnie Bell Grigsby --> Lilbern Harper Odell --> Father (living) --> Me

So John W. Grigsby is my great-great grandfather on my Dad's side. I have a death certificate for Minnie Grigsby that show's her Mom's maiden name as Mary Pelgrim. However, I have hit a brick wall when trying to find any more information out about Mary Pelgrim. The name Pelgrim could very well be misspelled and actually be Pelgrim, Pilgrim, Pellom, Pellum. As for John W. Grigsby, having viewed several censuses and determined he was born in Georgia in 1846. His family moved to the Tennessee area in the 1850s and 1860s. He married Mary in Missouri, May 30 1869. They lived a short time in Missouri, returned to Tennessee, then according to 1900 census back in Jasper, MO. According to 1910 census, John W. Grigsby was living in Marchall OK. After that, not sure what happened to him or where he died or is buried. I do know that all of John W. Grigsby's children were living in Pontotoc County, Midland, OK (near Ada, OK) by 1920 (according to 1920 census) and all of John W. Grigsby's grandchildren were attending Lightning Ridge School in Midland, OK. Here is a link to the school census taken in 1920: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~okpontgs/lrscensus.html?cj...

I am sending all the above to your personal e-mail as well. If you have any more information, let me know! Thanks so much for posting! :-)

Posted: 10 Apr 2011 9:19PM GMT
Surnames: Grigsby/Moore/Wall/Walls
Thank you Rodney, I am going to send you back information by email. This will give me another avenue to check out for sure.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions