Search for content in message boards

Mc vs Mac

Mc vs Mac

Karen (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2002 11:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Can someone please explain to me the difference between Mc and Mac ...is there a right and a wrong?

Re: Mc vs Mac

Posted: 29 May 2002 1:24PM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2002 2:59PM GMT
Here is what I heard.
When my Grandfather left Scotland, he was a Mackinnon, prot. When he arrived in Boston, it was far better to be Irish Catholic. So he changed the Mac to Mc, that made him Irish Catholic. Sounds logical to me.
Larry McKinnon

Joanne McKinnon (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jun 2002 1:45PM GMT
Surnames: McKinno, McDonald, McMillan, Lalonde
Hi,
I was curious about that myself. I contacted Joan at the Clan MacKinnon Society of North America to find out. It has nothing to do with Mac being protestant or Mc being Catholics. That is what my family believed. Some think it's Mac for Irish and Mc for Scottish. Wrong again. Since our progenitor was born in Scotland, it pretty much kills that theory also. In some family, you will have some generation spelling MacKinnon and the next McKinnon. So what this all mean is, it was a personal choice. They may have created their own reason, but none of them are actual fact.
Joan also related to me a story about one of her aunts that spelled the name M@Kinnon, in other words, she wrapped the c around the a. So this could have been missread and looked more like McKinnon. That is the explanation that was given to me.
Hope this answers your question.
Joanne

Posted: 22 Jun 2002 5:25PM GMT
Hi Joanne,
I have another time worn Fact not theory. My father's family all MacKinnon's had written the name in what we called Scot's shorthand. I wrote my name as my father before me had, with the small c raised above the level with two small lines drawn below, this was done to replace the a. Unfortunately when this was done in birth records etc. when subsequently copied by some other either in long hand or typewritten, the two lines were eliminated. Thus I have a brother whose birth cert. reads Mac while mine and another brother reads as Mc. Hope this helps some.
Pat McKinnon Lockey

Joanne (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jun 2002 12:25PM GMT
Surnames: McKinnon, McMillan, McDonald, Lalonde
Hi Pat,
Never heard that before. But it comes back to the same thing. There is no one reason why some write Mc while others write Mac. In my family we write it Mc with the c looking like a reverse apostrophe. If you did research at any of the Family History center, you will find the McKinnons are listed has M'Kinnon.
In the book Memoirs of Clan Fingon, you can see that our name has been through a lot of changes. One of the old spelling is M'Kynnoun. But we are all descendant of King Alpin son Gregor and his son Findanus. So at some point the Clan members where known has M'Findanus. Keep in mind that not many people knew how to write then. This could have contributed to our names many spellings. As for my branch, we have been spelling it McKinnon at least since 1825.
Most of my own knowledge of the Clan history comes from Memoirs of Clan Fingon by Rev. Donald D. MacKinnon, M.A. and Scottish Highlanders a personal view by Charles MacKinnon. Charles MacKinnon of Dunakin, is a hereditary chieftain and laird of Dunakin, and owner of Dunakin Castle. He is also 33rd in an unbroken male line of descent from Findanus, the fourth MacKinnon chief. He is also heriditary seanachaidh (genealogist and historian) of the clan MacKinnon. We are lucky to have so much information available to us. We have a long recorded history that is well worth reading. Hope you will have a chance to enjoy it, too.

Slainte
Joanne

Posted: 16 Jul 2002 5:22PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2004 5:41AM GMT
Surnames: McKinnon
A friend of mine, who does professional lineage research, told me the Mc and Mac are interchangeable. It is a matter of family preference.
To make matters worse when we are chasing our past, in some areas of dense Irish/Scottish population, they did away with the Mc and Mac altogether!
regards, Mary

Anne Rector (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2002 2:25AM GMT
Hi, my two cents of oral history for what its worth...in our family it was the reverse of yours...my paternal grandmother, a MACKinnon, changed the spelling of her name on all records to MCKinnon so as to not be mistaken for a Catholic. This was in Nova Scotia in the early 20th Century and her family were all adamant Presbyterians, later United. Clearly spellings are to be taken with a little salt, but the story handed down in our clan suggests MAC represented the Catholic version and MC the Protestant. Still, the original emigrants to Canada were Protestant but spelled it with MAC on a few records...so whose to know for certain...? Same story, but obviously with regional differences that will vary between families and geography. FYI folks. Anne

Posted: 26 Sep 2002 1:57AM GMT
Edited: 26 Dec 2004 9:07PM GMT
I really don't have the answer either. I'm told that my grandfather came down from the Prince Albert Islands and when he came to America he dropped the 'a' - no reason given. I'm told 'most' not all, of the family were Catholic. Don't know if that had anything to do with it.

I have been insearch of anyone who can help me find someone I may be connected to. All of my known family have passed away.

My grandfathers name was Ivan - if anyone can add to it I would greatly appreciate it.

Joanne (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2002 2:03PM GMT
Surnames: McKinnon,McDonald, Lalonde, McMillan
Hi Pamela,
Did you read the article by Kathleen Givens. She covers all the explanations we heard through the generations. I got the catholic and protestant explanation myself. But I knew it wasn't the main reason people made the change. Read the article, Kathleen did a great job of clearing up all the misconceptions.
http://www.newandusedbooks.com/features2.cfm?feature_element...

Joanne (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2002 3:44PM GMT
I found an article that clears all the misconceptions regarding this subject. It was written by Katleen Givens. The article is titled, When is a "Mc" a "Mac".

http://www.newandusedbooks.com/features2.cfm?feature_element...

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions