Search for content in message boards

Edward Cordell and Kin

Edward Cordell and Kin

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 2:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Jan 2013 9:57PM GMT
Surnames: Cordell, Cannon
Hi am looking for any info on my greatUncle Edward Cordell,born in London,area of St lukes in 1886,his Parents were Henry John Cordell born 1860,and Emily(nee Cannon)born 1861,Edward went to Canada,and later to St Albans,Vermont,USA,arrival date September 1907,It seems the Ship was the Manitoba,two of Edwards Sons(names of?)both came to England in WWII on there way to serve in France,There Father Edward(Born 1886)later came to visit his Siblings in England,between 1950/55,would be glad of any info on Edward his Family if any,or Marriage,
Death or Census records,Thanks David

Re: Edward Cordell and Kin

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 3:26PM GMT
Here is what I found.

Familysearch.org-free access
Edward James Cordell, son of Henry John Cordell and Emily Cameron (probably a transcription error) b. 1886 married Sophia Shepherd, daughter of Edward George Shepherd and Catherine Ross, on 7 Jan 1911 in Toronto, York, Ontario, Canada.

Edward Henry Cordell=Child of Edward James Cordell and Sophia Shepherd. He was born 3 Oct 1911 in Toronto.

I cannot access the remainder of the Canadanian records, as I only have access to the US records.

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 6:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: CORDELL, SHEPHERD, CANNON, BARTON, GARDNER
Family Search has this information:
name: Edward Henry Cordell
event: Birth
event date: 13 Oct 1911
event place: Toronto, York, Ontario, Canada
father: Edward James Cordell
mother: Sophia Shepherd
registration year: 1911
"Ontario Births, 1869-1912," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FMHL-9L8 : accessed 12 Jan 2013), Edward James Cordell in entry for Edward Henry Cordell, 1911.

In case you don't have this information already, possibly it may be helpful to you:

FreeBMD shows that Henry Cordell and Emily Cannon married in 1882:
Marriages Dec 1882
CANNON Emily Bethnal Green 1c638
Cordell Henry Bethnal Green 1c638

Emily, who was 21 and a flower maker, was daughter of Edward Cannon, a general dealer, while Henry, 22, was a carman and son of Henry Cordell. The address for both was 15 Birdcage Walk. The marriage took place 10 Oct 1882 at Bethnal Green St Thomas, borough Tower Hamlets.

The 1891 census shows Henry and Emily living at 40, Martin Street, St George The Martyr Southwark, London, with daughter Emily (b 1883) and sons Henry (b 1885), Edward (b 1886) and James (b 1887). I see a family in the 1901 census where the children seem to match; if so, then Emily died before 1900, when Henry John Cordell married Matilda Barton:
Marriages Mar 1900
Barton Matilda Alice Shoreditch 1c128
Cordell Henry John Shoreditch 1c128

This may be Emily's death:
Deaths Jun 1899
Cordell Emma 38 Shoreditch 1c 72

In 1901, the family was living at 32, Loanda Street, Shoreditch, London, and it seems that at least 3 more children were born to the couple before Emily's death:
Ellen (b 1891), Lizzie (b 1893) and William (b 1895). The parish registers also show a birth of a John Henry Cordell to Henry and Emily June 15, 1898, when they were living at 29 Covent Gardens, but he must have died in infancy as he does not appear on the 1901 census.

In 1911, Henry and Matilda are living at 45 Angrave Street, Haggerston, with two children still at home - E.M. (probably Lizzie b 1893) and W (probably William 1895). Henry was a Corporation carman; Lizzie was a perfumer's assistant; and William was a tin worker. It looks as if the oldest daughter, Emily Charlotte (b 26 May 1883), married William Gardner 16 August 1903 in Hoxton St. Andrew.

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 7:06PM GMT
Hi Sandra ,nice to hear from you with the info you sent me,it seems I may be on track to find out what became of my GreatUncles Family in Canada,I now have something to help me with my research,thanks for your help,Regards John

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 7:28PM GMT
Hi RxCairns thanks for the info you have sent on Cordell and Kin,It all seems to tally up,some I did not know of till now,about Edward James Cordell(born1886)his Wife and Son.also about the birth of John Henry Cordell(born 1898)My Gran Emily Charlotte(born 1883)who married Josiah James Gardner in 1903 in Hoxton,said her Mum Emily had eight Children, but I did not know of John Henry till now,my Grans Mum Emily died in the April of 1899,thanks for your help Regards John

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 7:28PM GMT
Hi RxCairns thanks for the info you have sent on Cordell and Kin,It all seems to tally up,some I did not know of till now,about Edward James Cordell(born1886)his Wife and Son.also about the birth of John Henry Cordell(born 1898)My Gran Emily Charlotte(born 1883)who married Josiah James Gardner in 1903 in Hoxton,said her Mum Emily had eight Children, but I did not know of John Henry till now,my Grans Mum Emily died in the April of 1899,thanks for your help Regards John
per page

Find a board about a specific topic