Search for content in message boards

looking for a marriage in county clare

looking for a marriage in county clare

Posted: 25 Mar 2006 8:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Mar 2006 11:54AM GMT
Surnames: COLLINS, QUINN
Hi :) I was just wondering if it's possible to find a marriage in a Roman Catholic Church in county clare? I'm looking for the marriage of a Patrick Collins and Bridget Quinn around 1860.
Are there any parish indexes or records available to search etc? Tamara.

Re: looking for a marriage in county clare

jeannemarge (View posts)
Posted: 26 Mar 2006 4:19PM GMT
Surnames: FOLEY, CUGGERAN
Hi, Tamara,
I saw your posting on the Clare mailing list. I'm afraid the answer is still along the same lines, but I'll try to add to it here for clarification.

If you don't know which parish to look in, then you may as well start alphabetically, or take a .22 and start shooting fish in the barrel! If you have exhausted every source in the country to which these two emigrated, then there's really nothing else to do.

The two surnames you're seeking occur together in every single county in Ireland during the period of the Griffith's Val. 1855-1864. What brings you to Clare for your search? In other words, what document(s) have you uncovered that tell you that's the county they were from?

Posted: 26 Mar 2006 8:28PM GMT
I think that I am in the same boat as Tamara.
I am looking for Lennon and McInerney who were from Bansha and/or Kilkee in County Clare.
I believe the Lennons were born and raised in Bansha, and had a summer house on Gratlin Street in Kilkee.
Thank you.

jeannemarge (View posts)
Posted: 26 Mar 2006 11:59PM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2006 3:19AM GMT
Hi,
I think you're a little better off as you have two placenames to search within... Do you have a year to searcch around?
Jeanne

Posted: 27 Mar 2006 3:46AM GMT
My grandmother Alice was born in 1890. She had several brothers and sisters. I know that John was born in 1902.
I do not know the age of her parents but if they were 20 when she was born it would put the date around 1860.

I did find something that listed M. McInerney, but I do not know how correct that is.
I also believe that one of Alice's sisters married Paddy Mescal. I also have the name Cunningham in Kilkee and the name Marris in Australia, but I do not know the connection.

jeannemarge (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2006 2:32PM GMT
Surnames: FOLEY, CUGGERAN
Do you know about www.clarelibrary.ie ? It's the county public library website, fantastic resource. Your people would be recorded in the 1901 census, which the library has online FREE. It's not indexed by names, but by registration districts. Because you have two place names to work with, you could browse through each townland and look for them. Or use the website's 'SEARCH THIS WEBSITE' function for the names...

Try that out and explore the website in general. Let me know if you need help with anything else.
Regards,
Jeanne

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 12:51AM GMT
Surnames: Collins, Oloughlin
Patrick Collins c1841-1875 arrived with Bridget Quinn c1840-1909 arrived on the ship Sir John Lawrence 1862 at Port Adelaide. S.A. They had 7 Children.
They are both buried West Tce. Cemetery Adelaide South Australia. Informant of Patrick's death was John Collins a Hawker of Woodville. S.A.
My G. Grandmother was Bridget Collins c1855-1913 and she was married to John O'Loughlinc 1854-1916 Father Terence O'Loughlin on the 31/1/1876 at Kapunda Sth Aust
Patrick Collins died 31/1/1875
On my G. Grandmother's death 1913 there was a notice in the paper saying second daughter of Patrick and Margaret Collins of Kilmaley,County Clare. I cannot find them in Kilmaly. Her sister Margaret c1866-1912 death said youngest daughter and mentioned Kilmaly again.There seems to be an older sister Mary Collins c1852-1908 Died Sth Aust.
I also am trying to find the parish.

Posted: 1 Jun 2013 1:14PM GMT
Surnames: Collins, Haugh
I am searching for any information on my G-Grandfather, Malachy Collins, b. County Clare abt 1843-45.

Parents were Patrick Collins and Catherine Haugh. The only instance of both Collins and Haugh which appears in Griffith's 1855 is in Dough, Kilfearagh Parish (just outside Kilkee).

Two siblings of which I am aware were Mary Ann Collins and Jane Collins, birthdates unknown. I can't imagine there weren't others, but have no idea of names, whether they died in Ireland, or relocated elsewhere.

Family lore indicates Patrick Collins and Catherine Haugh died during the Famine, and the British government paid steerage to send the 3 children (Malachy, Mary Ann and Jane) to Canada. I cannot find the children on any manifest, nor can I find them anywhere in Canada, until finding my G-Grandfather's marriage record in Toronto in 1865. I do not know if the children were raised by family who had previously relocated to Canada, or if they were raised in an orphanage or by adoptive families.

Malachy Collins married Margaret Tomeney (Tammany) at St. Michael's Cathedral, Toronto, June 29, 1865, stated age 22 (b. 1843?). Witnesses were Patrick Finnigan and Mary McConvey. Margaret was born in 1850 to Charles Tomeney and Sarah Cassidy in Ogdensburg, St. Lawrence, New York.

Malachy and Margaret then moved to Chicago where their children were born:

James Patrick, 1866-1946
Charles Francis, 1868-1935
Catherine, 1870-1921
Patrick Alexander, 1871-1872
Sarah Agnes, 1874-1935
Henry Joseph, 1876-1920
Malachy Raymond, 1879-1933
Mary Ann, 1881-1947
William Joseph, 1888-1958
Grace Irene, 1891-1979 (my Grandmother)

Malachy Collins died in 1896 in Chicago and is buried at Calvary Cemetery, along with many other Collins family members.

I cannot locate Malachy's naturalization documents, an obituary, or any other information that provides a townland of birth.

Based solely on the occurrence of names in Griffith's, my daughter and I are traveling from the US to Kilkee, County Clare on June 17th to search parish records and any other sources we can locate (Clare Library) trying to learn more information.

Any suggestions on research sources while in Ireland would be greatly appreciated. And of course, if any of the above names mean anything to anyone, we would love to hear from you!!

Thanks in advance for any comments,

Kim

per page

Find a board about a specific topic