Search for content in message boards

William Grant I (1699-1794) Scotland

William Grant I (1699-1794) Scotland

Posted: 6 Aug 2008 8:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for any legit primary sources that prove who William Grant's Parents are/if his name was really William Douglas back in Scotland. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Here is what I have so far:

1. World Family Tree by Family Tree Maker Vols. 3-7

[Establishes that William Grant fought for the Pretender’s Army and Immigrated to the American Colonies when he was 16 years old, which is 1716].

“My mother's maiden name was Grant. My grandfather and great grandfather both Wm Grant. Wm Grant, Senior was born in Scotland and pressed into the Pretender's Army at 16 years of age was taken by Wm as prisoner and owing to his youth was sent as a convict or pressed man into America and sold into seven years service, while his companions were all shot. By his morality and industry he secured the good will of his masters and in the fourth year of his service he married Margaret Vemon, the daughter of an English Lord of that name in Ireland, and who had suffered in the siege of Deny. (1688) She had become estranged from her friends on account of the settlement of an estate and followed the fortunes of a female friend whose husband had purchased the time of my great-grandfather.
An anecdote is told of him, that, on the day of his marriage, he thought he could not afford to lose the day, as his master would have him make it up at the end of three years yet to serve, so he went to his plowing, as usual but of course and in his shirt sleeves. When he saw the clergyman coming, he hitched his horses and came into the house. After the ceremony was over, he kissed his bride, picked up his hat and started back to his plow. His master watched him until he returned to his horses, then called him to come in and fetch his horses. He then told him he was free but if he would stay with him, he would give him $50 per year and after that higher wages.
His wife had a diamond ring she had retained from since the estrangement from her father's house, which she now exchanged for ten cows and they afterwards became wealthy and their sons andgrandsons were honored and respected citizens. Their grandson. Gen. John Grant, at one time was supposed to be the richest man in Kentucky.
I relate these things to show what industry and honest perseverance will do. My grandfather, Wm Grant (Jr.) married Elizabeth Boone, sister of Daniel Boone, who was Wales, who imigrated (sic.) to Pennsylvania and with my grandparent to North Carolina and settled near the line between that state and Virginia. When I look back at that colony and trace it, through three generations, not to say four, that it has passed, I am forcibly reminded of the great advantages of a right start in laying the foundations of society. If it is well done, it will tell to the future generations, we may well say to all eternity. And though I fear the example of our Pilgrim fathers is fast passing away from their descendants, we can still trace it throughout New England and their commerce, manufactories and their natural resources, enterprise or go-aheadiliveness.”

2. Whitley County and Its Families. By Whitley County Historical Society (Ind.), Turner Publishing Company. p.148
[This source confirms his immigration to the American Colonies in 1716 on page 100]
3. Whyte, Donald. A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to the USA. Vol. 1. Baltimore: Magna Carta Book Co., 1972. 504p. 2nd pr., 1981.]
[Confirms Immigration of William Grant was to Maryland in 1716]
4. Dobson, David. Directory of Scots Banished to the American Plantations, 1650-1775. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1984. 239. p. 67.

[This Immigration of William Grant was from Scotland to Maryland in 1716]

5. Smith, Clifford Neal. Transported Jacobite Rebels, 1716. In National Genealogical Society Quarterly, vol. 64:1 (Mar. 1976), p. 29.

[This suggests that William Grant was captured fighting for the Pretender’s Army in the Battle of Preston, Lancashire in 1715, and was send to American colonies in 1716. This coincides with comments about the Pretender’s Army in Source 1].\

6. Richardson, Hester Dorsey. Names of Those Who Were Sent Over as King's Rebels in the Ship Friendship of Belfast, August 20, 1716, to Maryland. In Side-Lights on Maryland History.... Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1913, vol. 1, pp. 214-215. Reprinted (2 vols. in 1) by Tidewater Publishers, Cambridge, Md., 1967; and by Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, 1967. Page: 214

[William Grant was sent over on the ship Friendship of Belfast on August 20, 1716 to Maryland]

7. The Draper Manuscripts

[Establishes a William Grant family connection to William Grant Jr. who married Elizabeth Boone, and places a Douglas in the family, saying that William Grant’s wife potentially had the maiden name Douglas]

In a letter to Mr. Draper, Sarah Grant (Lamond) Winston states that ".....with respect to the name of my Grandfather's mother, it was forgetfulness certainly on the part of my cousins also, you will no doubt think so, when I tell you my cousin's oldest son is named Douglas, after my Grandfather'sgrandmother, whose maiden name was Douglas and their second son is named Verner after my Grandfather's mother whose name was Marjory Verner--I have a sister whose middle name is Verner...." (Sarah Winston was referring to her cousin's Wm. S. and Lydia Ann (Grant) Grant and their sons, Douglas Boone and William Verner Grant)

8. A History of Kentucky and Kentuckians. By E. Polk Johnson, Lewis Publishing Company. Volume III 1912.
[William Grant as seen in American records could have been William Douglas at birth and taken on the name Grant Douglas in Scotland]
Page 1290: “…was called “Grant” Douglas to distinguish him from others of that same name. And when he came to America he assumed the name grant.”
Page 1590: “Her great-grandfather, William Grant Sr., was born and reared in Scotland, where for a deed of bravery, he was given a grant of land, and his name which was originally William Douglas, was changed to William Grant.”

Re: William Grant I (1699-1794) Scotland

Posted: 6 Mar 2010 8:53AM GMT
Hello
His name is William Grant Douglas.
His Father and Mother are Alexander Grant 1664-1736 & Ann Douglas. Grand Father & Mother are Sir William Douglas Born 24 Dec 1634, D 18 Apr 1694 & Duchess of Hamilton, Anne Hamilton 1631 - 1716. Anne is a direct descended to Jame 2, king of Scotland. It sound like Anne GG Grand Father was married to Mary Queen of Scots. Now you know why he would change his name when he came here. I would have to count, but Anne is my 9th to 11th Great Grand Mother. So William would be like 7th 9th Great Grand Father. Of course you are a cousin many time removed. I'm doing Ancestry.com for the first time. BTW it looks like we are related to most of the old Scotish Royals.

I just read about D Boone. My 7th Great GF was Jame Burke (Burk) and he knew D. Boone. Burke Garden in Virginia was name after him.

My Name is Joseph Hildreth and I live in California USA.

Posted: 20 Mar 2010 7:34PM GMT
Surnames: Grant, Hazelwood,Bryan,Wofford
This William Grant (of which my father also had the name) was born about 1700. In order for this to be your great grandfather the average age inbetween each generation is 77 and one half years. This is too much time in between generations.

Posted: 10 Jun 2011 3:51PM GMT
I need a source that confirms this. I am unable to locate one. If you have one, could you please post it! Thank you.

-Terry Douglas Grant

Posted: 10 Jun 2011 3:54PM GMT
I agree. He is not my great grandfather. He is my direct descendent.

Cheers
Terry Douglas Grant

Posted: 10 Jun 2011 3:54PM GMT
I agree. He is not my great grandfather. He is my direct descendent.

Cheers
Terry Douglas Grant

Posted: 11 Jun 2011 2:27AM GMT
William Grant was a son of William Grant I, of Scotland, who married Margery Varnon, of Ireland, a widow with one son. Her father was a rich man with an elegant household and many servants and she, being badly treated at home, ran away to America, where she met the young Scotchman,William Grant, and married him. Young Grant's name was in reality Douglas. In the land of the thistle he had had bestowed upon him a grant of land for a deed of bravery and was thenceforth called the "Grant" Douglas, to distinguish hira from others of the same name, and when he came to America he assumed the name of Grant. William Grant II was born in Pennsylvania, in February, 1726, and died in Fay- ette county, Kentucky, in 1804.

from A History of Kentucky and Kentuckians By E. Polk Johnson, Lewis Publishing Company

I hope this helps you.

Joseph Hildreth

Posted: 11 Jun 2011 12:19PM GMT
This does, thank you!

Posted: 14 Jun 2011 9:56PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jun 2011 9:58PM GMT
FYI: I am doing researh on a Grant Tomb at Allegheny Cemetery in Pittsburgh. It's a litle early in my research on this gravesite but there seem to be a connection to General Grant. The Heinz History Center agrees with me and their position is, that Grant family of General Ulysses S Grant lived near Greensburg PA which is about 25 miles east of Pittsburgh. They also say the Dents were from Pittsburgh.

Some of the families nearby are connected to General Daniel Morgan who was said to be Daniel Boone's uncle. Another family, the Gibsons have the same story as being connected to the Pretender Army with the St Clair family of General Arthur St Clair also buried in Greensburg PA.

General Daniel Morgan's daughter was married to Presley Neville of Pittsburgh. He was the son of General John Neville. He was also an aide to General Lafayette and General Lafayettes foster brother Dr Felix Brunot. Dr Brunot is also buried at Allegheny Cemetery about 200 yards from the Grant Tomb. Next to the Grant Tomb is a monument to William Croghan Jr the son of Lucy Clark. Lucy Clark was William Clark's sister. That is William Clark of Lewis and Clark Expedition out of Pittsburgh in 1803.

So I have a group of families in Pittsburgh all claiming to be connected to The Pretender or to William and Mary and the Battle of the Boyne.

Posted: 14 Jun 2011 10:08PM GMT
Interesting. I have found no connection to US Grant in the direct family ancestry, although the rumor was that he was a third cousin. They may have the same scottish roots, however without a definitive source stating that Alexander had a son named William Douglass I am unable to even confirm this lineage.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions