Search for content in message boards

Ellis-Vesperman Farm Cemetery

Ellis-Vesperman Farm Cemetery

Posted: 16 Feb 2008 9:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Can someone provide directions to the Ellis-Vesperman farm cemetery? Is it accessible? According to the Grant Co. website, the cemetery is located in South Lancaster Township.

Thanks
Doug Rhodes

Re: Ellis-Vesperman Farm Cemetery

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 7:13AM GMT
Hi Doug:

I could probably get you some directions, if you haven't already gotten them, as I know some of my distant cousins have gone there and taken photographs of some of the headstones. Who do you have buried there? My g.g.grandfather, Washington Ellis, is there along with a lot of the Ellis family.

Susan

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 5:07PM GMT
Surnames: Ellis, Townsend
I noticed you post and wonder if there is a connection to your Ellis surname. My Great Grandfather had an older sister by the name of Lydia H. Townsend (b. about 1849 in Ohio) who married James Ellis on 27 March 1859 in Grant County, Wisconsin. She probably lived in the Mount Hope area. Her family moved from Ohio to Grant Co, Wisc. About 1854.
Do you think there is a connection?

Bud Engelhardt
budengelhardt@msn.com

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 5:22PM GMT
Surnames: Ellis, Kelley, Hildreth, Haines, Marshall
Susan - I still don't know where the cemetery is. It would be great if you could provide directions. Regarding who I have buried there would be members of the Ellis family. They are cousins in more than one way. Primary way is Rachel Ann Kelley marrying Ezra Hildreth first and after his death, marrying my GG Grandfather Daniel Haines. My mother was a Haines and our family goes back to the 1830's in Grant County. Also, some Hildreths, i.e. Rachel married Ellis's i.e. John Marshall so it just gets more confusing. I have done alot of Ellis research and have primarily been trying to find an Ellis decendant that may have a picture or more info on Rachel, Ezra and Daniel. I can't remeber right now who I was following up on when I sent the query but visiting the cemetery would certainly fill in some of my blanks. Do you have alot of Ellis info? How does Vesperman fit in with the Ellis family?

Regards,
Doug Rhodes

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 5:33PM GMT
Surnames: Townsend, Godrey, Ellis
Bud - I'm relatively certain we are all on the same trail. Do you know Lydia's father's name? I have northern Grant County Townsends back to Abraham Godrey, born 1838, in my family. I have one James Ellis that his wife is unknown to me. Maybe she is the one. Regardless, if I can help, let me know. As with most settler families, they are all related in one way or another. I have tied hundreds of Grant and Iowa families in to my tree.

Doug Rhodes

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 9:45PM GMT
Surnames: Ellis, Hildreth, Vesperman
I have a LOT of Ellis info in Grant County. Rachel Ann Hildreth married John Marshall Ellis in 1880. Rachel died in 1908 and John remarried, so that might not be the same as yours. As for the Ellis-Vesperman connection, I don't know offhand, but let me dig through my files. I've never been there, but I have at least two distant genealogy cousins who have been there and sent me pictures. I don't have a single Vesperman in my ancestry, so it isn't that. I have to get to work right now, so let me get back to you tommorrow.

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 10:04PM GMT
Surnames: Hildreth, Ellis, Marshall, Wedige, Young
Susan - we're both in the same line. Rachel Ann Hildreth and John Marshall Ellis. Rachel would be my 1st cousin 2 removed. I attend the annual Hildreth reunion in Platteville so I have most of their family documented. I do have a question that maybe you could answer.

John Marshall and Rachel's children - Do you know what happened to Adeline and Peter Wedige?

Daughter Mary and husband Arthur Young - Do you know anything about them?

Son Samuel Dewey - Do you know if he ever married and what became of him?

Do you live in Grant county?

Thanks
Doug

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 11:06PM GMT
Surnames: Townsend, Ellis, Moultre, Winsworth
Lydia's father was Lysander Alonzo Townsend. He was born in 1815 at Concord, Erie Co, NY. Lydia Ellis' mother was Lydia Moultre, who was born 18 Apr 1822 in Otsego Co. NY. She died in Mt Hope, WI on 29 Sep 1908.
Lydia Ellis' parents were divorced in the late 1850's and Lysander married Lydia Elisabeth Winsworth. Lydia Ellis' mother married Lysander's brother Suel Townsend abt 1863. It's a mess, hope you can figure it out.

Posted: 26 Mar 2008 5:12AM GMT
Surnames: Ellis, Hildreth, Young, Bowen, Carmody
Ha. John Marshall Ellis is MY first cousin twice removed.
I have nothing on Peter and Adeline--I don't believe they had children. Adeline had two children with her first husband, Charles, born '12, and Anna, born '13. Last name of Landon. In the 1920 and 1930 census, those are the only children living with Peter and Adeline.
As for Mary, I have her married to a Carmody after Art Young, but that is all.
Samuel I have married to Marie E. Bowen, born in '01. Marie was the daughter of John G. and Nettie L. Bowen.
And no, I don't live in Grant Count. My Dad grew up in Platteville, however. I'm in California.

Susan

Posted: 15 May 2010 12:46PM GMT
Did you learn where this cemetery is located? I, too, would be interested in its location. Who do you have buried in that cemetery? I have interest in the Vesperman family. Thank you for any information you may have.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic