Search for content in message boards

MENZIES, MINGS

MENZIES, MINGS

J. Hagedorn (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: MENZIES, MINGS,
I am looking for information on Joesph Mings. He was born 1755 in Charleston SC. He moved to Rowan County NC, married Margaret Butrem in 1779. Enlisted in Rowan county for the Revolutionary War. Any help would be appreciated..

Re: MENZIES, MINGS

Posted: 24 Jul 2001 11:14PM GMT
Edited: 2 Sep 2001 11:49PM GMT
Hello - I believe I can help you. Several sources have provided me with the following:
Original ancestor, Andrew Menzies/Minzes (Mings), born 1730 in Scotland, died in Rowan County, North Carolina.

One of his sons was:

Joseph Minzes, Sr., b. 4-9-1755 in Charleston, South Carolina, d. 4-14-1849 in Saline County, Illinois, buried in Franklin County, Illinois; m. 10-26-1779 in Rowan County, North Carolina to Margaret Buttram, b. 1761, d. 12-27-1787 in Rowan County, North Carolina (see BUTTRAM family tree).

I have more on his line if you have need of it.

Posted: 3 Nov 2001 3:44AM GMT
Edited: 22 Apr 2002 4:03AM GMT
I am from the MIngs family and was wondering if you still have info on Andrew Menzies family. You can email me at hturner_1@yahoo.com Thank you

Posted: 13 Dec 2001 11:25PM GMT
Edited: 3 Sep 2003 10:34PM GMT
Can anyone provide an actual record showing that Andrew was father of Joseph (b. 1755). Or a record showing that Andrew actually existed? After 30 years of research, I have found nothing.

Nancy Roberts

kent mings (View posts)
Posted: 8 Mar 2002 2:23AM GMT
my name is kent mings.my ggggggrandfather was jesse daniel mings b.1795 in s.c. could this andrew mings be his father or other relative?

J. Hagedorn (View posts)
Posted: 8 Mar 2002 5:49PM GMT
Most people credit Andrew Mings with having 3 sons, Joseph, James and Andrew. Joseph was born in Charleston S.C. in 1755. Andrew and James' birth I don't know. Joseph had his first child in 1796. It is plausible that Jesse is the child of one of the other brothers. I have talked to other researchers about Jesse Mings, but the ones I've talked with don't know who his parents are either. If you come across any information I would like to know. I descend through Joseph Mings.

Posted: 7 May 2002 8:03PM GMT
Edited: 14 Aug 2002 3:59PM GMT
You haven't taken into account that this was Joseph Mings, Minzes second marriage. He was married to Margaret Buttram in 1779 and had four children from the marriage before she died. They were Margaret b: 1781, Ann (Nancy) b: 1783, Aaro b: 1785, and Joseph Jr. b: 1787. I am descinded from Joseph Jr.

Jesse (Daniel) Mings born 1803 was one of Joseph Sr. children from his second marriage. You have one name wrong with the three sons of Andrew Menzies. They were Joseph b: 1755, James b: 1757, and "Alexander" b: 1759. And as you have discovered has I did that James and Alexander seem to have disappeared.

J. Hagedorn (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 2002 3:39AM GMT
According to Joseph Mings revolutionary pension file, which gives a list of the names of his children and their births for both marriages, Jesse Daniel Mings is not Joseph Sr. son. If you have evidence saying that he is please send it to me and I'll add it to my file. Your right about the brothers of Joseph Sr.--I must have typed Andrew, but I meant Alexander. Thanks for the correction. If you are willing to share, I would love information on the descendants of Joseph Jr.-- I only have that he married Margaret "Peggy" Summers and that they had two children Ewing and Degenira. Look forward to hearing from you.

Heather Jo (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2002 1:52AM GMT
Do you have a copy of that pension file that you would email me? I would love to have a copy in my files! I am also a descendant of Joseph Mings. Thank you Heather email hturner_1@myfamily.com

Posted: 17 May 2002 3:00PM GMT
Edited: 14 Aug 2002 3:59PM GMT
Surnames: Mings/Minzes/Minze/Menzies
I went back through some of my research and discovered that you are correct. Jesse Daniel Mings is not a son of Joseph Sr. Mings/Minzes. It is possible, I think very possible, that he is the son of one of Joseph's two brothers, James or Alexander. The problem is finding the evidence.

It is just one more of the mysteries of our family. Such as why did some take the surname "Mings" while others took the surname "Minzes" instead of keeping their father's surname "Menzies". There are records that show Joseph Sr. using the name "Mings" and yet I have seen records at the National Archives in Washington D. C. that have him going by "Minzes". Joseph Sr.'s second son from his first marriage, Joseph Jr., went buy the surname "Minzes" and it is through him that I am descended.

Joseph Jr. had a son named Ewing Shelby Minzes who was married twice and had traveled from Tennesee to Missouri just before the Civil War. In the 1880's at least two of his sons from the second marriage left Missouri and moved to Texas and dropped the "s" from their name. One of these brothers, Andrew Jackson Minze, was my Great-great Grandfather.

An interesting note: Andrew Jackson Minze was a Methodist Traveling Minister sometimes call Circuit Preachers. I think I recall reading something about some of Jesse Daniel Mings' descendants being Methodist Ministers and living in Texas.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions