Search for content in message boards

Brookside Cemetery, Winnipeg

Brookside Cemetery, Winnipeg

Posted: 16 Dec 2007 5:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HILLIER, WILLIAMS, PARISH
I have a number of relatives interned in Brookside Cemetery and would like help with their tombstones or headstones.

The following came frome the Brookside Cemetery website.

1. HILLIER, Clara A., 21-1626-0, D of Death Unk, Interened Jan 29,1959
2. HILLIER, Clara E., 21-1627-0, Nov 03,1958, Nov 30,1958
3. HILLIER, Lilliy, 21-1627-0, Feb 08,1934, Feb 10,1934
4. HILLIER, George Gibson, 21-1628-0, Sep 24,1947, Sep 27,1947
5. WILLIANS, Alfred James, D3-0750-0, Aug 03,1941, (Dec 30,1899 This has to be a mistake)
6. WILLIAMS, Alice Laura, 43-0139-0, Aug 31,1970, Sep 03,1970.

Clara E (nee Parish) Hillier was the wife of George Hillier and they had a daughter Lillian. Clara was also married to a Mr Williams and they had two sons one being Alfred James Williams killed while ferrying aircraft for ATFERO. I believe his wife's name to be Alice, hence the possibility that Alice Laura Williams was his wife. AJ Williams had a daughter named Paulette but I cannot find any trace of her or her family. Clara A. Hillier appears to be interned alongside the other Hilliers and may be related.

Is anyone able to check these people at the Brookside Cemetery for me please.

Regards
Ian

Re: Brookside Cemetery, Winnipeg

Posted: 2 Aug 2008 11:04PM GMT
WINNIPEG FREE PRESS THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 25,1947 PAGE 47
GEORGE GIBSON HILLIER
George Gibson Hillier,62,of 637 Ashburn Street,died Wednesday at Grace Hospital.Born in Haslemere,Surrey,England Mr Hillier came to Canada in 1910 and was employed at the Bank of Montreal for 33years.He is survived by his wife Clara and a son Harold of Vancouver.The funeral service will be held Saturday at 2:45pm in Mordue Funeral Chapel with burial in the family plot at Brookside Cemetery.DR.H.B.Duckworth will officiate.

WINNIPEG FREE PRESS THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 3,1970 PAGE 33
MRS ALICE LAURA WILLIAMS
On Monday the 31st of August,1970 at her late residence,Mrs Alice Laura Williams,age 93 years of 471 McDermot Avenue.Mrs Williams came to Canada at the age of seven,residing here in Winnipeg.She was a member of the Canadian Kennel Club.Predeceased by her husband Robert Percy in 1918 and later by two sons and one daughter.She is survived by four daughters MRS ELSIE JOHNSTON,MRS MONA GINN,MISS MARGARET WILLIAMS and MISS FLORENCE ROSE WILLIAMS all of Winnipeg,also one grandaughter and one great granddaughter of Dearborn,Micigan and her beloved sister MRS MADELINE WILSON of Neelin,Man.Funeral service 2:15PM Thursday from The Clark LeatherdaleFuneral Home 232 Kennedy Street with Elder R.H.Ferris officiating.Interment at Brookside Cemetery.Pallbearers will be her nephews George Williams,Trevor DuBedat,William Greenlay,Charles Wilson,William Wilson and Humphrey Wilson.
Do you have the write up on Captain ALFRED JAMES WIILIAMS? There is two different write ups about his death.
Ian I am not so sure tha Alice Laura is the wife of Catain Williams.The story doesn't work.

Posted: 3 Aug 2008 3:08AM GMT
I have this notice of AJ Williams' death posted in the Winnipeg Free Press. That is how I found out about his daughter Paulette. I don't believe the reference to Alice Laura Williams would be AJ's wife as he was born 1903. The Alice mentioned in the WFP would have been born in 1877.

The article about George G. Hillier was fantastic. I really appreciate your effort. It also gave me a time for their arrival in Canada. You she Clara was already married to a Mr Williams in England and ran off with George, but I don't know if they married before leaving the UK or if they married in Canada. I understand that Clara's two sons remained in Canada possibly with their father and and were at boarding school in England. I think it was some years after their mother arrived in Canada that their took up residence there.

Thanks for all your help auntyg3

Regards

Ian

Winnipeg Free Press, Tuesday, August 5, 1941

Captain Alfred James Williams,38, associated with the British ministry of air production, was killed Sunday in an air crash at Moncton, NB, according to word received by his widow, Mrs Alice Williams, 180 Ethelbert Street.

Born in Leominster, Herefordshire, England, he came to Winnipeg at the age of 21. He was bandmaster of the Army and Navy Veterans' band here for about three years.

Captain Williams studied at Stevenson field, obtaining both his private and commercial pilot licences in Winnipeg. In 1932 he moved to Toronto where he was a member of the Toronto Flying club. He left Toronto about two years ago to become an instructor at the Malton, Ont, training school, where he remained for about a year and a half.

At the time of the accident he was engaged in flying bombers for ATFERO. Besides his widow, he is survived by his daughter, Paulette, Winnipeg; his mother, Mrs George Hillier, 637 Ashburn Street, and a brother, Harold Williams, in New Westminster, BC.

The body is expected to arrive in Winnipeg Thursday.

Posted: 3 Aug 2008 5:44AM GMT
Ian,
Clara E is buried in Brookside Cemetery but she died in New Westminister,B.C.You can get death record if you want from B.C.Maybe the son put an obit for her in B.C.Where do you live Ian?Let me know if you find some new info.I'll keep trying to find Paulette.

Posted: 3 Aug 2008 8:33AM GMT
Hello again auntyg3

I live in Queensland Australia.

Information on AJ has been reasonably easy to get but not so his wife and child. I have been able to contact AJ's brother's family but unfortunately they lost touch about the time of AJ's death. AJ was a well known coronet player pre WW2. He was declared the Canadian Musical Director and Canada's Premier Coronetist.

Letter - April 30, 1996 - National Library of Canada
Christianne Sawruk, a library school student working for the Music Division of the National Library of Canada, found a newspaper account of A J Williams' participation in the band concert for the Royal Visit of 1939 in the Toronto Star [May 20, 1939].

If you want to contact me direct
hoplumbing(at)optusnet.com.au

I really appreciate your kind interest and help.

From sunny Queensland

Ian

Posted: 3 Aug 2008 9:59PM GMT
WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FEBRUARY 9,1934 PAGE 2
The funeral of Miss Lily May Hillier,24,daughter of Mr and Mrs George G Hillier 313 Marjorie street,who died Thursday morning at the family residence,will be held Saturday afternoon at 3 o"clock from the Mordue Bros. Funeral home to Brookside Cemetery.

WINNIPEG FREE PRESS TUESDAY FEBRUARY 13,1934 PAGE 4
MISS LILY MAY HILLIER IS BURIED ON SATURDAY
Many friends and former associates attended the funeral of Miss Lily May Hillier,24,only daughter of Mr and Mrs George G Hillier,312 Marjorie Street,which was held Saturday afternoon in Mordue Bros.funeral home.Burial was made in Brookside.The chapel was filled and the officiating clergyman was Rev.H.B.Duckworth.Miss Yvonne Thibault sang the beautiful hymn"Abide with Me",her sister Miss Louise Thibault,presided at the piano.
The pall bearers were her childhood playmates,(Lade )?Beck,Jack Beck,George Graham,Verne Meade,Gordon Sparkes, and Bill Smith.
Miss Hillier is survived by her mother and father and two brothers,Harold Hillier living in British Columbia and Jim Hillier a resident in Toronto.

Posted: 4 Aug 2008 3:32AM GMT
Hi Auntyg3

Thanks for those WFP notices. I've not seen them before. I think the two brothers mentioned would be her step-brothers, Albert Harold Williams and Alfred James Williams. None of the other names mean anything to me.

How are you able to obtain these WFP clips so quickly?

Regards from a beautiful sunny Queensland

Ian

Posted: 6 Aug 2008 9:28PM GMT
Hi Ian,
I am sending my email address.Please reply as I have taken photos of the Hillier headsone at Brookside Cemetery.Thanks

Gloria

glorianagy@shaw.ca

Posted: 14 Mar 2009 11:44PM GMT
Surnames: Hauser, Hahn Lang Mueller
I am looking for information about a George( and Sophia 1889)Hahn Hauser. I know he died April 15, 1948 and sophie died Jan 16, 1908.
This is my Great Aunt and Uncle. I would like to know if the cemetary has any more info on these people...next of kin etc. I know they were Married aPRIL 20, 1910.
i AM LOOKING FOR Sophia Hahn Hauser mother and father name. where they were from etc. I have lots of info on her brother my Grandfather Adolf E. Hahn

Posted: 15 Mar 2009 4:20PM GMT
Hi Chris,
I found an obit for George Hauser died April 15,1956 in Winnipeg and his wife Sophia Hauser died January 16,1954 both buried at Brookside Cemetery.George had siblings Jack,lloyd,Mary,Elsie and Helen.If you want obits email me at

glorianagy@shaw.ca
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions