Search for content in message boards

Help - Problem exporting GEDCOM file from Ancestry to PAF

Help - Problem exporting GEDCOM file from Ancestry to PAF

Posted: 3 Nov 2011 8:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Two months ago I imported a GEDCOM file from PAF to ancestry.co.uk with no problem. I now want to export my much updated file from ancestry back into PAF. After going via "Tree Settings" and clicking on "Download your GEDCOM file" I quickly received a file on my screen with the data and coded features visible. Using "Save as" to load this onto my computer, I noticed that the filename ended with _ged (and not .ged). I was given the options of saving the file as .htm or .mht or .txt
After saving in each of these formats I tried to upload them into PAF but the format was not recognised. I also tried adding .paf or .ged onto the end of the files but still the format was not recognised.

Can anyone advise me as to how I can export a file from ancestry back into PAF?

Thanks,

Clint Mann

Re: Help - Problem exporting GEDCOM file from Ancestry to PAF

Posted: 3 Nov 2011 12:03PM GMT
3 Nov. 2011

I've never tried to download a gedcom from Ancestry and then load it into PAF, but from what you've described, it sounds like the file format that you're seeing is correct. A gedcom is a text file and can be viewed and edited in programs such as MS Notepad or Wordpad.

So try this: same using the .txt option to save the file and then look at it in a text editing program such as Notepad. If the formatting and structure of the file seems to be correct, then change the .txt extension to .ged, i.e. my_gedcom.txt to my_gedcom.ged With the extension changed, try importing the file.

Saving your gedcom in either of the two other forms that you mentioned in your post will give you a file that is unusable. But starting with a text file should work.

Dave

Re: Help - Problem exporting GEDCOM file from Ancestry to PAF

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 10:19PM GMT
I asked for a GEDCOM from a friend's cousin and he sent it to me, but it has the _ged.mht extension and is not a regular GEDCOM file. It's a text file, but not quite the same as a GEDCOM file. I dunno......
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions