Search for content in message boards

Soldiers Orphans Industrial School

Soldiers Orphans Industrial School

Judy Armstrong (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2002 3:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Crosby
Does anyone have info on this school? I found a relative listed in the 1910 PA census for Franklin County, Green Township ED# 16. It didn't iclude the specific town, although after having read some message boards, I suspect it may be the school in Scotland, PA. Did the childrens' parents have to had served in the military? Any help appreciated!

Re: Soldiers Orphans Industrial School

Posted: 20 Jan 2002 6:50PM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2003 12:58AM GMT
Your are correct - this is now called the Scotland School for Veteran's Children. There was an article about the school in the "Public Opinion" about a year ago, but I did not see anything about having a parent serve in the military, although it is my understanding that it is a requirement. The school is run by the state of PA, not the federal government. Their address is Scotland Ave Ext, Chambersburg, PA, 17201. Phone 717-264-7187, if you want to contact them about 'alumni'

Posted: 21 Jan 2002 2:22PM GMT
This is now known as Scotland School for Veterans' Children

Posted: 23 Jan 2002 12:52AM GMT
Edited: 8 Jun 2003 12:30AM GMT
Type Scotland School for Veterans Children into any search engine and you will be lead to several websites with information on the school and it's history and admission policies.
After the Civil War Pennsylvania built a large number of schools (44) for orphans of veterans. These schools were scattered across the state. In 1895 they centralized the schools by building the one at Scotland. You do have to be related to a veteran but it doesn't have to be a parent anymore. It can be a sibling, grandparent, aunt, uncle, guardian, or step-parent.
My husbands aunts and uncles were students at Scotland in the 1930's and they spoke fondly of the school where they got an excellent education and vocational training.

Posted: 21 Jun 2012 7:15PM GMT
It needs to be noted that this school closed in 2009.The governor of PA felt there was no need for this type of school and it was to costly.

Posted: 10 Jul 2012 7:43AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2012 10:47PM GMT
Before the school closed someone ask for some student info from there. Since I grew up at SSVC while visiting I ask about the records of students past and they told me they had them in the basement of the main building. The person requesting the information had to write letter requesting the information they wanted. That was the only way they would give any info out about a past student.

Two years in September I went to the closing of the school. They auctioned off a lot of the property. What wasn't purchased or picked up was trashed. I hate the thought of what happened to those records after seeing some of the destruction that happened with beautiful furniture, bedding, etc. A person would have needed a semi truck to take out the items that were left behind. The whole situation was so sad.

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 2:18AM GMT
My father and siblings were at this school after their parents pass away. My grandfather was a civil war veteran. My father was released in 1919 at 12 years at the school. His brother died while there in 1915. Can anyone tell me where they would possibly have laid him to rest. I live out west and getting to the area is difficult to do any real research.

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 6:00AM GMT
do you have any names? You will need to write to the address below and tell them what you know and who you are looking for. They might be able to help you.

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,
Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission,
Bureau of Archives and History,
350 North Street,
Harrisburg, PA 17120

The school closed just a few years ago after being open for over 100 + years. This is the address where all the student records were moved to. If I know a name I might be able to help you for free. I do know that the students were paying for the records. I think they said about $25. Maybe they will tell you what you want to know for free, I don't know.

Crystal
daffymom@hotmail.com or
facebook "crystal roxanne Emory Payne.

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 10:35PM GMT
thank you very much for the address. I will send them a letter right away. I do have the names and years they were there. Again, thank you.

Jim

Posted: 19 May 2013 10:21PM GMT
Very interesting. I was shocked to find a lady I'm researching with her two siblings (Mabel, Kathleen and Arthur Collins) at the school on the 1910 census. Their mother had remarried in 1908 and I can find no death for her but maybe she died before 1910.
How sad.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions