Search for content in message boards

Stangel

Posted: 30 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 8:40AM GMT
Surnames: Seidenglanz, Stangel, Tikalsky
JOHN J. STANGEL, hotel proprietor, merchant, and prominent citizen of Stangelville, Kewaunee county, was born in the town of Mishicot, Manitowoc Co., Wis., May 16, 1857, and is a son of John and Dora Stangel, natives of Bohemia, who came to the United States in 1854 and the next year took up a homestead in Mishicot township, Manitowoc county. Mr. Stangel was one of the first settlers of the vicinity, and endured all the hardships of pioneer life, but succeeded in clearing up his farm, and retired on a well-earned competency in 1892. His wife, Dora, was born in 1831, and died in the town of Mishicot in 1872; Mr. Stangel was born in the same year as his wife.
Our subject, who is the seventh in a family of eight children, acquired his education in the pioneer schools of Wisconsin, and his studies were ended when he reached the age of twelve years, after which he worked with his father on the farm until eighteen. He then engaged in agriculture on his own account, and followed the occupation until May, 1888, when he sold his personal property and entered into business in Stangelville, where he is the proprietor of the "Stangelville House", in connection with which he conducts a saloon. He is also engaged in mercantile business, and is owner of the cheese factory in the same village, and still owns and operates a farm. In all the business undertakings in which he is engaged he has proven himself to be sagacious and far-seeing, and all have been successfully and profitably conducted. He is a Democrat in politics, has filled the offices of assessor and supervisor, for nine years has been justice of the peace, and in every position has more than met the expectations of the people.
In 1875 Mr. Stangel was married to Miss Annie Seidenglanz, who was born in Bohemia December 8, 1856, and to this union were born five children, viz.: Mary, Emma, William, Wenzel and Jacob. The mother of these died April 12, 1892, and for a second wife Mr. Stangel married, October 3, 1893, Frances Tikalsky, who was born in Bohemia December 3, 1859. To this last union have been born two children: Delia and Flora. Mr. Stangel is a member of the Roman Catholic Union of Wisconsin, and is a devout member of the Catholic Church. He is highly respected by his fellow citizens and is regarded as being one of the most enterprising business men of the township.

From "Commemorative Biographical Record of Brown, Door, & Kewaunee Counties"

Re: Stangel Kewaunee and Manitowoc counties, Wi.

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 9:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
John Stangel was my grandmother Carrie's uncle. I am a decendent of his brother Joseph W. Stangel 1854 -1932.
In June of 1976 there was a Stangel family reunion in Stangelvill, Wi. From this reunion a booklet was written
of 5 generations of Stangels back to George Stangel born in
Munich Bavaria in 1725. He had three sons, John, Joseph and Jacob and daughter Elizabeth. Our family line of decent is from John 1756-1797. Before emigrating to America the Stangels lived in Straz, Bohemia and were buried at the Catholic cemetary at the Domazlice church in Czech. I have been unable to research the Stangel name before 1725. Do you have or know where I can search for information on the Stangel name? Thanks. You may contact me by e-mail, lpgospy@yahoo.com

Re: Stangel

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 4:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi
Family Seidenglanz lived in surrounding of Kdyne town in Domazlice area, southwest Bohemia.
Tony.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic