Search for content in message boards

Flagging Comments?

Flagging Comments?

Posted: 22 Jul 2009 2:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
The "hint leaf" is certainly a well-conceived and quite utilitarian feature here at Ancestry. Perhaps some derivation of that might also be applied to the "comments" tab?

As it is now configured, neither the profile page nor the pedigree view (probably the 2 most accessed pages on any entry, particularly for the casual viewer?) offer any suggestion that there is a comment waiting to be read.

From a purely marketing perspective, casual viewers might be more inclined to contribute as they become more familiar with this feature which might, in turn, translate into additional subscriptions? After all, most enjoy viewing the product of our own handiwork and it would encourage, I believe, additional traffic/participation?

Traffic/participation = Sales. No?

Perhaps, at a minimum, bold text on the comment tab? or some derivative cousin to the flashing leaf might be a worthwhile consideration?

Whaddya think?

Re: Flagging Comments?

Posted: 22 Jul 2009 2:20PM GMT
This is my complaint too. I sent an e mail to Kenny Freestone concerning this issue. It is beyond my grasp to understand why this design was thrown at us with so many many things wrong with it. Comments hidden, much more scrolling and clicking, etc. Way too much emphasis on MEDIA which shows up everywhere. I did find out one little bit of hidden info. On the right side of the name of yours/my tree there is a small triangle. Clicking on that will bring up several things including tree settings, view family tree, and recent activity. Recent activity is where all the comments are hidden. This silly little triangle has nothing to distinguish that suggests it is hiding a myriad of options. Whoever designed this thing did not have users in mind. In fact, this is the same type of design that is used in the FTM 2008/2009 software which is full of lovely bling, bells and whistles but which is very difficult to navigate and use.

Posted: 22 Jul 2009 11:50PM GMT
I made the same suggestion using the "Give us feedback about the new design" link in the blue strip across the top of the page in my tree. I suggested using one of those little speech bubbles in place of the leaf, like they have in front of the "Give us feedback about the new design" link.

Posted: 23 Jul 2009 2:30AM GMT
...or perhaps a little text icon like the one in the upper left hand corner here.

Posted: 23 Jul 2009 3:01AM GMT
Whatever tickles their fancy.

Posted: 23 Jul 2009 3:25PM GMT
Hi BrklynBridge,

This request comes up often in the feedback we receive--We are looking into how to best do this. Would having on the tab the number of comments be sufficient?

Kenny Freestone
Ancestry.com Product Manager

Posted: 23 Jul 2009 3:41PM GMT
Kenny, I think anything that might somehow flag a profile as having an available comment should do the job. Once the basic feature is instituted, if your web wizards wanna do some additional magic (a la the green leaf), IMO that would be gravy.

Thanks for responding ;-)

Posted: 23 Jul 2009 4:07PM GMT
Kenny, I think the number would be better than an icon. Just curioius, would the number be for new, unread comments or for all comments in total?

Jo

Posted: 23 Jul 2009 4:12PM GMT
The simplest is to show all comments. Otherwise we would need a way for people to indicate that they have read each individual comment already.

Kenny

Posted: 23 Jul 2009 4:22PM GMT
Ahh...thanks for explaining that.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic