Search for content in message boards

Marriage of Alexander McClure & Eliza Jane Gillespie

Marriage of Alexander McClure & Eliza Jane Gillespie

Posted: 19 Jun 2011 10:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McClure, Gillespie
I was wondering if any one could help. I have a copy of HERITAGE HISTORY OF CHESTER COUNTY,SOUTH CAROLINA 1982.
On page 207 under the title of "GILLESPIE" there is information on Eliza Jane Gillespie married about 1825 to Alexander McClure possible by Rev. John Hemphill.
I was wondering if any one could gave me any infromation on were the marriage may have taken place or where I could find more information on Alexander and Jane.
Alexander and Jane are my GR,GR,GR, GRANDPARENTS. I have it a brick wall on where Alexander came from and who were his parents.
Thanks.

Re: Marriage of Alexander McClure & Eliza Jane Gillespie

Posted: 19 Jun 2011 11:57PM GMT
Rev. John Hemphill was an Associate Reformed Presbyterian pastor. Check the old History of the ARP Church (1880 or so) to see what congregation he pastored; that may lead you to resources in the churches or in the Chester Co. Library. Have you tried the 1820 census records for location(s)?

Posted: 20 Jun 2011 1:19AM GMT
Thanks for the infromation. I have looked at the 1820 census but no locate on an Alexander McClure. I have check some old APR Churh records but not much luck.
Thanks again the hunt will continue.

Posted: 21 Jun 2011 1:51AM GMT
There was a McClure man that was an officer in the Revolution from Chester. I believe he was killed at the Battle of "Hanging Rock". This is from memory so it may not be exaxtly correct. Gillespi is a well known name in Chester County. I suggest you write The Chester District Genealogical Society, PO Box 336, Richburg, SC 29729. They do not have a phone and do not use email, but if anybody can answer your questions they can.

Posted: 21 Jun 2011 10:14PM GMT
Capt. John McClure was killed at the battle of Hanging Rock, he was the son of Mary McClure. So far I haven't been able to make a connection with my McClure's.
I have both written letters and sent E mails just one last week to Chester District Genealogical Soceity but never recieved a reply.
So the hunt contiues.

Posted: 22 Jun 2011 3:09AM GMT
I know those folks well. I will follow up to see if they received your communications.

Posted: 22 Jun 2011 5:58AM GMT
Surnames: McClure, Gillespie
Name: Alexander MCCLURE
Sex: M
Birth: ABT. 1800 in South Carolina
Death: 11 MAR 1845 in Perry County, Illinois

Marriage 1 Eliza Jane GILLESPIE b: 14 FEB 1804 in Sparta, Randolph, S C
Married: 1825 in South Carolina
-----------------------------------------------------
Have you seen this from Rootsweb World Connect? You can email the submitter at famtree1@aol.com and possibly learn more information.

Posted: 22 Jun 2011 8:22PM GMT
It appears you have received your info concerning McClure/Gillespi marriage, however you may want more info.

I talked to the Chester person today. She said for you to mail it again and spell out what you need. She is very dependable. They do have a McClure file and a Gillespi file.

good luck.

Posted: 22 Jun 2011 10:33PM GMT
I have this information but it is not correct on Eliza Jane Gillespie, Eliza known as Jane was born 14 Feb 1804 in Chester CO. South Carolina she died 14 Jul 1871 and is buried in Galum Presbyterian Cemetery in Pinckneyville, Perry County Illionos. She is buried in the Wilson family polt. Her daughter Elizabeth Jane married Thomas Wilson.

Alexander and Jane were married in 1825 in South Carolina and thats all I have. They moved to Illinois around 1830 with the Gillespie family.

Alexander I am not sure of same information leads me to beleive he was born in Ireland around 1795 other say South Carolina around 1800. He died 1845 in Perry County Illinois.
I have not been able to find where he was buried. I know nothing of his family.

Posted: 22 Jun 2011 10:40PM GMT
THANKS for your help is there any one I should address my request to?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions