Search for content in message boards

Deleting a marriage

Deleting a marriage

Posted: 6 Jun 2008 5:24PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
I am using FTM 2008.

I accidentally created a second spouse. It was a mistake; this particular ancestor never had a second spouse. Although I can delete the second spouse, the person view still show a '2' in the spouse box, and the facts screen still shows a dummy "marriage to unknown." How do you make the erroneous marriage fact go away.

Re: Deleting a marriage

Posted: 6 Jun 2008 5:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Marc,

Did you try People, Detach that 2nd spouse?

Russ

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 2:43PM GMT
That doesn't work in FTM 2011. You can't delete a nonexistent person; she doesn't have a name. I tried naming her "deleted spouse," detached the deleted spouse, then deleted the person named "deleted spouse." The original husband still shows a second marriage to an unknown spouse with no name. There are no children, no marriage date, no notes of any kind to indicate the spouse exists, so I can't delete those. I have 48,000 names in my family tree, and many, many unknown spouses that I can't eliminate even though they never existed. Help!

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 3:16PM GMT
You don't DELETE a non-existant person.

You DETACH a non-existant spouse.

In People Workspace
Select the person with the phantom spouse.
Menu > Person > Attach/Detach > Detach

The next screen will list all relationships that person is in as a spouse, child, and parent.

One should be the Phantom Spouse.

Select the radio button next to that relationship

Click ok.

If that doesn't work, I can only guess that you have somehow created these from some kind of import and is probably not fixable without going back to the original file and correcting the situation in the original file and re-importing the correct info.

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 12:45AM GMT
Okay, I gave Otto Burl Tyner a wife named Spouse, Delete. I deleted her. That left him with a wife named [unknown spouse], to my surprise. Since she was there, I did as you suggested. But selecting the husband, going to Person, then going to Attach/Detach Person, gives you a choice of Attach Father, Attach Mother, Attach Spouse, Attach Child, Detach Selected Person. I was afraid I'd lose Otto, but I selected the last. It offered to detach him from his parents, or from the family of Father: Otto Burl Tyner, Mother: no mother entered, Children: no children entered. Still hesitant, I selected that one. And it worked! The unknown (and nonexistent) spouse vanished. Thank you!

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 3:01AM GMT
Name the unknown spouse the same name as the real spouse and then use merge individuals and merge the 2 spouses. I have done this often. When I name the unknown spouse, I usually use all lower case letters so I can distinguish the 2 names.

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 3:06AM GMT
Choose detach selected person and then you will be able to detach him from the family where he has no parents or spouse: http://help.ancestry.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5164/

Posted: 7 Aug 2013 12:37AM GMT
But I didn't want to delete a man with no spouse or parents, I wanted to keep him and delete a nonexistent spouse created by FTM. You can't delete a person who has no name and is just a position, spouse (name unknown).

Posted: 7 Aug 2013 12:45AM GMT
Edited: 7 Aug 2013 12:46AM GMT
If you really want to remove the phantom spouse, you DETACH him or her (NOT delete).

This is done by selecting the "real person" at File > Person > Attach/Detach > Detach

However, be careful when doing that if the phantom spouse has children with the "real" person, the phantom spouse may just pop up again.

Be sure that couple has no children before you detach the phantom spouse. If the "real person" did have children with the phantom spouse, then you will need to give the phantom spouse a name. Some names you could use are "Wife", or "First Wife", Or "Last Wife", or whatever.

Posted: 7 Aug 2013 1:00AM GMT
When this happens to me, I give a name to the "person" to be deleted, then delete the "person." Typically all links to the person are gone.

Regards,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions