Search for content in message boards

SIBLEY

SIBLEY

J. Karen Miller (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am currently accumulating documentary materials on Dr. John Sibley (1757-1837) of Natchitoches, Louisiana, Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana. Sibley, a Sutton, Mass. native, lived in Fayetteville, North Carolina from 1784-1802, and in Natchitoches, Louisiana from 1802- 1837. He was appointed Indian Agent to the Caddo Tribe under Thomas Jefferson, and was very active in Natchitoches affairs, and La-Tex frontier activities. He served as State Senator for Louisiana, parish judge, colonel of militia, and contract surgeon for government troops in Natchitoches. I am especially interested in any Sibley correspondence (to or from Sibley), manuscripts, or journals. I believe I have adequate geneology information and other secondary source materials. If you have any Sibley primary materials or know of any, please contact me:
J. Karen Miller
2010 Pine Ridge Way
Benton, LA 71006
ph 318-965-4269
email VZQW52A@prodigy.com
Thank you for your time and attention.
Sincerely,
Karen Miller

DOWDEN, SIBLEY, SELF, PRESLEY, JACKSON, HARRELL

William McReynolds (View posts)
Posted: 21 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
My name is William McReynolds and I am related to the SIBLEY'S and SELF'S who married into each others families. Three Self brothers married three SIBLEY sisters Mary Elnora SIBLEY m. Franklin SELF, Elizabeth Letitia SIBLEY m. my 3rd G. grandfather David W. SELF, and Louisa Ann SIBLEY m. Elija Self. I have a book titled Henry H. SIBLEY Confederate General of the west that gives genealogy back seven generations and names John SIBLEY, grandfather to Henry, who was born at Natch. Parish. I also have copied from another manuscript about the other General Henry H. SIBLEY who was a Yankee general, cousin to John SIBLEY'S son, also Governor of Michigan or Minn. and gives a good bit of detail about their beginnings from the time they immigrated to Salem, Mass. from England with the Winthrop Fleet. I am trying to tie my SIBLEY bunch to John SIBLEY who came to Natch. Parish in the early 1800's.

SIBLEY

J. Karen Miller (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT
Mr. McReynolds:
I also have the book on Henry Hopkins Sibley by Jerry Thompson. The other manuscript you mention is, I believe, The Ancestry, Life and Times of Honorable Henry Hastings Sibley by Nathaniel West. I have this one also, and it does have alot of Sibley ancestry information. Two other books that I think you might find useful are The Sibley Family in America 1629-1972 by James Scarborough Sibley published by the author Honolulu, 1972, and History of the Town of Sutton, Massachusetts, From 1704-1876 by William A. Benedict and Hiram A. Tracy. Published by Sanford & Co., Worcester, 1872. Reprinted Worcester, 1966 by Flora Holbrook Dudley, 2nd exact reprint 1970. Sutton, Mass. is the town that the original Sibleys imigrated to, as you probably know. The Sibley Family book is enormous and does a good job of tying in all the Sibley families. The Sutton book has a good deal of early ancestry info. Both of these books are hard to find, but you can get them through interlibrary loan, I know. Please e-mail me directly if you have any other questions I might be able to help you with. I am trying to limit my research to John Sibley (1757-1837) of Natchitoches Parish, but my uncle and a cousin of ours are much informed as to Sibley genealogy.

DOWDEN

Christy Gibson (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
William,

In your heading you mention the surname DOWDEN. I have quite a few DOWDEN's in my family tree from Natchitoches. How do you Dowden's fit in? Also, I have an ISGITT who married a SELF in my tree.

Sibley/ Presley/Self geneology

SAPresley (View posts)
Posted: 26 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Presley, Sibley, Watson, Peters, MeGarren
Would be intrested to see if any of my line connects to yours. Mine is mostly in Sabine Parish, but I know there are some from Natchitaches Parish....they came from somewhere!

Presley, Sibley

William McReynolds (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
I too would like to check our lines for a connection. My ancestors are also from Sabine Parish, which was carved out of Natchitoches Parish in about 1846. I can be contacted through either e-mail address.

SELF/DOWDEN

Posted: 15 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 Oct 2003 6:51PM GMT
Surnames: SELF, DOWDEN

Some of my Boswell and/or Beasley relatives, from Natchitoches Parish, married Self's and Dowden's. If you think there might me a connection, please contact me.

DOWDEN / MOSS

Scott Klamert (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: DOWDEN, MOSS
William,

I have been researching my MOSS ancestors in Natchitoches Parish. I have been fortunant enough to get tons of information which was submitted by Robert Homer MOSS and Carolyn DOWDEN Grimm. I have information that dates back to John DOWDEN b.Abt 1680 in Maryland. It even includes two DOWDENs that died in the Civil War (Andrew DOWDEN b.1835 in Natchitoches Parish) and (Shelton P. DOWDEN b.1837 in Natchitoches Parish).

The link between MOSS and DOWDEN is:
Enoch MOSS b.10-Dec-1872 in Sabine Parish, married Bertha Leah DOWDEN on 2-Feb-1893 in Kisatchie.

I always heard my grandpa (Wiley Dewey MOSS) mention the DOWDENs, but I didn't know I was related to any.

I would be glad to check any of the family group sheet I have for any information you may be looking for in regards to DOWDEN.

I also intend on placing these family group sheets on my website, which is in desperate need of update. This will take a while.

Best Regards,
Scott Klamert

Sophronia L. Phifer

Posted: 29 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 Mar 2002 7:24AM GMT
Surnames: Self, Sibley, Phifer, Dowden
Sophronia LaDusky Phifer m. Samuel Elisha Self son of David W. Self. Their d. Elizabeth E. Self m. my g grandfather Francis Asbury Dowden. I have not been able to gather much information about Sophronia except the names of her parents but I appreciate any information anyone may have on them.

Self/Sibley

Elizabeth Landry (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Self, Sibley, Phifer, Dowden
I am also a descendant of both David W. and Elizabeth Self and Franklin and Mary Elnora Self. Do you have any information of Sophronia L. Phifer Self, daughter-in-law of David and Elizabeth Self?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions