Search for content in message boards

Confederate Ancestor

Confederate Ancestor

Posted: 24 Jun 2012 7:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jun 2012 1:06PM GMT
Surnames: sheperd
My Confederate ancestor was killed in battle on 23 June 1864 just west of Blackstone. I know his wife received word of his death, since it was entered in the family Bible. They were in Sherman's path and left GA to join family in Fla. I researched until I found the time and place of his death. He was with 62nd or 8th Ga. Cavalry under Brig. Gen. James Dearing, may have been wounded and died the next day. Name: A. H. Shepherd. Battle between US Cavalry under Wilson and Confed. took place just west of Blackstone. Any history or suggestions of buriel appreciated. In July I'm driving up from Fla. to the site.

Re: Confederate Ancestor

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 11:15PM GMT
Have you looked at a series of books called "The Virginia Regimental Series"? You may find some information there. Also, if you're coming to Virginia from Florida, you should consider travelling the few extra miles to Richmond. Blackstone is about an hour from Richmond. If time allows, The Library of Virginia has a wealth of information. So does the Virginia Historical Society.

Joe Neagle
Mechanicsville, VA

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 11:43PM GMT
Annie, I do not know where the burial would have been but there is a Civil War marker at the location of the battle. It is located on old rt.460 between Nottoway and Blackstone which follows the railroad tracks that were being torn up at time of the battle.

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 11:46PM GMT
Thank you. I plan to visit that site.

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 11:47PM GMT
Thank you. I do agree a trip to Richmond could give me some information.

Posted: 26 Jun 2012 12:46AM GMT
Thank you for your replies. This is such an important trip for me. No one in Asa's family ever knew anything, but that he was killed near Petersburg on 24 June 1854. That information had been tucked away in a Family Bible for generations,until I began searching. On Fold 3 I found a report of his Company which describes the battle with Wilson's forces along the railroad track on June 23, 1864 and the report says "one killed and four wounded". I'm going to check other company reports.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions