Search for content in message boards

Info in Industrial School for boys in Waukesha

Info in Industrial School for boys in Waukesha

Posted: 13 Jul 2001 8:16PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 28 Dec 2001 6:24PM GMT
Surnames: Hansen, Sorensen, Van Wie
I am looking for information on an Industrial School for boys that my father was at in Waukesha, probably around 1917. Am wondering if they would still have records of him being there that would be available. It was called "House of Refuge" and opened in 1860. Do not know when it was shut down. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Info in Industrial School for boys in Waukesha

Posted: 6 Aug 2001 8:59PM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2001 5:44AM GMT
Surnames: Rynders, Hestermann, Kopec, Olko
You might find information in the research facilitiy of the Waukesha Historical Society. I do know that they have records of interred mental ill patients and other such records. So, I assume they will have the Industrial School for Boys Records as well. I believe this school or jail as it is now referred to is located in Wales and is still in operation and filled to capacity. Because these children are minors--you will most likely have to sign some waver and show proof that the person you are looking up is deceased. Your father could obtain the records himself if he is still alive.

Posted: 7 Aug 2001 2:09AM GMT
Surnames: Hansen, Sorensen, Van Wie
Susan,
Thanks for your info. Strange but I just received the info I was looking for from the WI State Historical Society in Madison in the mail today. My father has been deceased since 1970. The records show that he came to the Industrial School because he ran away from a State School in Sparta. To obtain those records I will need to send a death certificate. The State School was a social service facility while the Industrial School was a correctional facility which require different criteria to obtain records. Thanks again...Gina

Kathy Swenson (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2001 12:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
I just came across this site while visiting the Monroe Co. boards. I'm not sure if it's the same place you mention but might be worth a look. It's just a short article reprint.
"A 1924 article on the Sparta Boys Home has been posted at:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~wimonroe/history/boys-sp1.html"

Posted: 22 Aug 2001 10:11PM GMT
Surnames: Hansen Sorensen Van Wie
Kathy...My father was at the Sparta School for Boys before he was at the Industrial School. The first was a social service organization and the second a correctional facility. He kept running away from the Sparta School so was brought to the Industrial School. Doesn't sound like Sparta was a very nice place. I remember as a little child he told me he had to eat bread and milk or bread and water as a kid. So I found the article quite interesting. Thanks very much...Gina

Posted: 23 Aug 2001 4:52PM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2001 5:44AM GMT
I'm happy to hear that you made contact with the State Historical Society. Please contact the Waukesha County Historical Society Research facility as well--it may save you lots of time--one never knows. Remember the Industrial School for Boys was located right in Waukesha and the Historical Society carries many local records.
Also, just a reminder--Monroe isn't anywhere near Waukesha County. A good hour drive at 55mph.
Another thought--if your father was in the Industrial School for Boys around 1917, have you searched the 1920 Wisconsin Census? Waukesha County? Soundex? In earlier census, all orphanages, jails, houses of prostition, mental hospitals, were listed along with inmates. The 1900 census is especially interesting to look at for these. If you want to see what I mean go to the 1900 census and look up Elizabeth Schaefer in the soundex. You will find her listed in Milwaukee County in a house of prostition, located in downtown Milwaukee, along with the "other girls" , their private physician, and all private information about them. Jails also list inmates full names.
I would suggest looking at the 1920 census or earlier, just to see where your father was at the time.

Re: WI Industrial School for Boys - Waukesha

Posted: 26 Feb 2006 9:05AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Reply to Jack <onlyjack@charter.net+++>

I have heard of the WI Industrial School for Boys - but

The only home I am familiar with is at Sparta (WI State School for Boys - and other names) . However, many of the reasons boys were placed in the insitiution are listed there and would be similar to the times for other state institutions of this type.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~wimonroe/history/Sparta-home/boys-s...

When making a query - please include the surname and given name of the person you are inquiring about - it saves time and let's the volunteer know up front what type of information they can provide you with.

These sites might help you:

WI Industrial School for Boys
http://linkstothepast.com/waukesha/scindboy.html

WIGenWeb - Waukesha county
http://www.rootsweb.com/~wiwaukes/indice.html

I am posting this on the Waukesha County Message Boards and Mailing List - and referring your request to the Waukesha County CC - I hope she will be better able to help you.

I have no further information on this topic.
R/S MAK

+++++

The computer clicked so quickly I do not know if I have the right person to help me. I hope so, but if not, please disregard my intrusion.

I am seeking information on the School for Boys that existed in Waukesha for about 100 years. My father was there for a short time in about 1914.

I would like to know the reasons why the Courts put him there. Or reasons why any of the boys were there.

In general, I would like to know if his name is listed and If I could obtain some record that would show this.

Reply in some way. Use this e-mail address <onlyjack@charter.net+++> I appreciate. Thanks. Jack

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 8:03PM GMT
How do you search by institutions vs. A name?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions